The poor screwed again by the Gov

If you have a low to moderate income, forget about your tax refund for a while.
Income tax changes eliminate refunds for many Ontario residents - thestar.com

Comments

• It's just not coming in a lump sum.

More of a PR fiasco, than anything.
  • The Income Security Advocacy Centre has a better explanation than The Star.

The big problem is that most low-income people don't know about the change, and will be shocked and outraged when they don't get the money in a lump sum tax refund to pay for things. McGuinty is trying to force these poor financially-challenged people to suddenly learn how to save up and budget throughout the year instead.
  • Here's what I don't like. Say I am am getting a refund of $500, but because of this change, I owe, $600 to the Feds but have an $1100 refund from Ontario. Now, I have to ship the $600 and wait to get my $1100 over the course of the year.

How is that helping me ? And where am I going to come up with the $600 ?
  • I can see a lot of people not filing tax returns now that they owe money. Even if this results in no refund down the road. Beer money is beer money.
  • Yes, this will be a burden to some people who are having trouble making ends meet. It could have been handled better by the government of Ontario, no question.
  • Just another reason to despise the political class in general. You would think that the sensible thing to do would be to publicize the CRAP out of something like this, and maybe even make an arrangement with the Feds to allow a crossover period this year, so people could budget accordingly (whether it's making the tax payment monthly so as to offset the lump-sum aspect, or whatever). Nope, just put the plan into action, and the hell with it.
  • LOL....this was classic
    Janice Meighan wrote a letter to the editor, saying she resented seeing the government tell her how to budget her finances.
    “Taxpayers need to be outraged at this intrusion by the Conservatives,” she wrote, assuming (mistakenly) the Harper government made the change.
  • SuperNed wrote: »
    LOL....this was classic
    Janice Meighan wrote a letter to the editor, saying she resented seeing the government tell her how to budget her finances.
    “Taxpayers need to be outraged at this intrusion by the Conservatives,” she wrote, assuming (mistakenly) the Harper government made the change.

You mean, it's not Mike Harris's fault? Really?!? I demand a recount . . .
  • Lucky for McGuinty there are millions of confused and easily influenced Janice Meighan's out there :-[
  • A friendly reminder that tomorrow, April 30 is D-Day.
    More than 11.4 million Canadians yet to file their taxes
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    I can see a lot of people not filing tax returns now that they owe money. Even if this results in no refund down the road. Beer money is beer money.
  • damn i better do that tomorrow, thanx for the heads up
  • Meh . . . mine is in the mail tomorrow. always wait until the last day if I have to pay (tyvm to the wife's severance). When I am getting a refund, it goes in the first week of March, baby. My Dad got his this past week. And, next year everything goes back to normal . . .
  • Always nice to see govt preying on our pocketbooks. The funny thing is, I would guess about 70 percent of people don't understand finance and basic math to realize what a screw job we are getting because of govt mis management.

Then people ask why the world is so corrupt.
  • at least they are discussing about adding this new tax increase. hmmm, tax the rich a tiny percentage and we can make friggin' millions (they are saying approximately half a billion in fact). not a bad idea.

Ontario NDP wants new tax for income over $500,000 - Toronto - CBC News
  • NDP doing what the NDP does best ....
  • trigs wrote: »
    at least they are discussing about adding this new tax increase. hmmm, tax the rich a tiny percentage and we can make friggin' millions (they are saying approximately half a billion in fact). not a bad idea.

Ontario NDP wants new tax for income over $500,000 - Toronto - CBC News

Except that, when it comes time to collect, those who fall into this category will inevitably have found more ways to write down their taxables. The rich do not pay taxes on their money, they move it elsewhere.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Except that, when it comes time to collect, those who fall into this category will inevitably have found more ways to write down their taxables. The rich do not pay taxes on their money, they move it elsewhere.

true.

good thing i have no money and i don't have to worry about that stuff.
  • so... I had a bunch of running around today and didnt get this done

if im owed money, does that mean I can file whenever? or am i SOL until next year?
  • costanza wrote: »
    so... I had a bunch of running around today and didnt get this done

if im owed money, does that mean I can file whenever? or am i SOL until next year?

5% penalty of what you owe if late and 1% per month after. not sure what happens if you are owed though.
  • If the feds owe you money, they will let you wait forever to collect. You will NOT get any interest.
    If the feds owe you money, they will let you wait forever to collect. You will NOT get any interest.

so i can claim this week, but get no interest for letting them hold onto my money for a little while?

:mad:

the gov't is sf rigged
  • File your return, you will get what's coming to you.
  • costanza wrote: »
    so i can claim this week, but get no interest for letting them hold onto my money for a little while?

:mad:

the gov't is sf rigged

You've had months to file and complain about it? How much do they owe you?
    Remember to get any back you have to have paid in the first place... ;)
  • compuease wrote: »
    You've had months to file and complain about it? How much do they owe you?
    Remember to get any back you have to have paid in the first place... ;)

no idea how much they owe me, but they taxed the shit out of me in 2011 (especially on over time) so i better be getting it back lol
  • If you don't have ton's of investments, rental properties, foreign tax credits, business write-offs and the like then it is quite simple, just spend a few bux on Quick tax and do it in 20 min... Simple.. Especially if you are getting money back, it's silly not to do it the day you have all your T forms in your hands...
  • compuease wrote: »
    If you don't have ton's of investments, rental properties, foreign tax credits, business write-offs and the like then it is quite simple, just spend a few bux on Quick tax and do it in 20 min... Simple.. Especially if you are getting money back, it's silly not to do it the day you have all your T forms in your hands...

You're part of the 1% aren't you?
    You're part of the 1% aren't you?

lol, no, but I've read about those things.... I'm somewhere in the 50%..:p

and I used Turbo tax...
  • I used a #2 pencil and my brains. Taxes aren't hard to figure out. It's making sure the government doesn't look too closely at my "dependents" that is the chore.
  • I always drop mine off at H&R block, go grab a coffee, come back, get a debit card with monies on it, hide it from the ol ball and chain, and buy nice things for myself >:D