what tilts you and how do you deal with it

i think that one of my biggest issues is my competitiveness. most specifically, it's the way i view winning and losing. i'm kind of strange in that i don't really gain a lot of pleasure from winning. i'm more concerned with not losing. i hate losing. in my younger days when i used to play a lot of organized sports i'd get very disappointed when my team lost even one game. i'd always try my hardest and put everything i had into winning, so a loss was not acceptable for me.

poker is obviously different and i sometimes lose sight of that. the nature of poker is that you're going to lose the majority of the time (with respect to sngs and mtts). when i sit down i want to win every time i play! it's sometimes difficult for me to except the loss as a win (because i played well but just got unlucky for example).

i have to try to remind myself that i'm going to lose the majority of the time. i just have to stay focused on the big picture.

Comments

• Play cash games -- you win most days and if you play enough hours are almost certainly ahead every month. One of the many reasons I love cash games and tournies are meh to me.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Play cash games -- you win most days and if you play enough hours are almost certainly ahead every month. One of the many reasons I love cash games and tournies are meh to me.

good point.
  • people who come to tourneys to limp into pots then tank and check back every street.

hearing people lose and say 'thats unbelievable'

people in my life who ask 'are you up today?' as if thats the question that you're supposed to ask a poker player. Hows your retirement fund buddy......and hey do you even know what an RRSP is?

Pro's that start their videos out with "Basically my strategy is to play tight in the early stages and loosen up when antes get into play"....awesome I paid for that.

People calling down with gut-shot draws and hitting them. Why were you calling me?

People who say "English only" in the chat. Racist.

Players that min donk all streets...how can that possible serve a purpose in your brain?
  • Fed railing me during BAP games, and I haven't dealt with it.
  • Fed railing me during BAP games, and I haven't dealt with it.
    haha....he thought he was being supportive.....:-\
  • darbday wrote: »
    people who come to tourneys to limp into pots then tank and check back every street.

hearing people lose and say 'thats unbelievable'

people in my life who ask 'are you up today?' as if thats the question that you're supposed to ask a poker player. Hows your retirement fund buddy......and hey do you even know what an RRSP is?

Pro's that start their videos out with "Basically my strategy is to play tight in the early stages and loosen up when antes get into play"....awesome I paid for that.

People calling down with gut-shot draws and hitting them. Why were you calling me?

Players that min donk all streets...how can that possible serve a purpose in your brain?

I do this, but not because I'm a racist. I do it to tilt whoever it is talking. I couldn't care less if they want to chat with a buddy, but for some reason it really pisses a lot of them off, so when I get a good hand/hit a good flop, I'll toss that out there and hope they stack themselves. Only works around 1 out of every 10 times (approximately), but it still works :)
  • I think English at the table is an accepted rule most places.

It's to prevent collusion, has nothing to do with race.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I think English at the table is an accepted rule most places.

Mark

It is, but I just say it to be a dick :)
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I think English at the table is an accepted rule most places.

Mark
    you are right, i don't exactly mean its racist.

but the same reason some people feel they can be racist is why people say English only. Its just prejudice at this point. Like does it really prevent collusion? The chat is a hand history record that won't go away, and you can copy and paste to google translate. Also poker stars could build a translator into the software I'm sure.

I just think a lot of 'white' people think white is normal and American English is normal. What would these kids do if it was Spanish? prob wouldn't play

but i have a clip of sarah silverman calling a heckler racist for telling sarah she is a racist.....she really thinks the heckler is racist and i agree but can't explain why...maybe ill find it....
  • it's english only cause it's standardized to english only. Nothing racist about it, makes me feel comfortable to understand what is being said at the table, failure to obey such a simple rule does speak to the intelligence of the player though, people are pretty stupid sometimes
  • PokerStars came up with the English only rule, not the players, or North Americans. Race or ethnicity has nothing to do with the rule.

What tilts me, is people constantly calling people racist if they happen to disagree with another's opinion, and that person is of another culture or skin colour.

Walk the streets of Toronto and tell me who is the visible minority ?
  • djgolfcan wrote: »

is it the black guy? it's always the black guy <.<
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    PokerStars came up with the English only rule, not the players, or North Americans. Race or ethnicity has nothing to do with the rule.

What tilts me, is people constantly calling people racist if they happen to disagree with another's opinion, and that person is of another culture or skin colour.

are we saying its whites because everyone else is colored, or maybe they are mostly Asian?
  • i also get tilted when people defend the use of 'christmas' vs happy holiday but they aren't religous and don't really believe in Christ.
  • A few things that tilt me:

1. Women/Elderly drivers
    2. Syncronized TV commercials - I want to flip to another show during commercials, NOT more commercials.
    3. Christmas music on the radio before December

Wait....Was this supposed to be a poker thread?! :confused:

ISn't that part of the TOS?
  • Milo wrote: »
    ISn't that part of the TOS?
    yes ...to prevent colluding but it doesn't really prevent colluding, i mean you can't collude just because you are speaking a different language... really its just like that so English stop calling mods and complaining :p

im generalizing ...but most people who complain aren't really worried about colluding they just complain cause they can other wise you can copy and paste what people say into a translator.

also no one is gonna collude out in the open they will and do, do it on skype and stuff like that.
  • reibs wrote: »
    a few things that tilt me:

1. Other drivers
    2. People that don't have pvr's
    3. Christmas music

wait....was this supposed to be a poker thread?! :confused:

fyp
    A few things that tilt me:

1. Women drivers

Does it also tilt you that it's not 1950 anymore?
  • fuck collusion, I just want to know they're not calling me bad things that I can't report them for or discussing how well of poorly they feel someone at the table is playing

Lol. I don't think reibs was even a glint in his Grampas eye in the 50's.
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    fuck collusion, I just want to know they're not calling me bad things that I can't report them for or discussing how well of poorly they feel someone at the table is playing
    this they are surely doing :p

at players...i don't mean you

ofc you don't :(

LOL, in all seriousness, I don't hate all women drivers (and maybe that was an unfair statement - was more a poke at the few females here who will read this >:D). There are certainly some who can operate a vehicle properly. Maybe this is me being results oriented, but IMO, ~85-90% of the ppl who cut me off or w/e are female or elderly. And they are usually distracted by something other than paying attention to the road. Just my experience....

And ya, my father was not even born until the 60s....
    Maybe this is me being results oriented, but IMO, ~85-90% of the ppl who cut me off or w/e are female or elderly.
    this could be true....ive heard of people who aces have been cracked over 50% of the time
    >:D
    this could be true....ive heard of people who aces have been cracked over 50% of the time
    >:D

you called? =(

nonono . . . him too. Especially that Hellmuth guy.
  • People on their cellies while driving.
  • I generally go on tilt when...,

1) others berate me for 'misplaying' my winning hand..., or so they say.

Of course, it only occurs when I win and they lose. Funny how they don't seem to praise you for 'correctly' playing a losing hand and donking off chips.

2) I fold a pp to a shove and call an all-in pre with none.

Don't know if this make any real logical sense but AA after the flop is still a pair to me..., a good one mind you but it definitely ain't the nuts.

3) I am thinking that it is finally the time to pick up a poker book and read.

The thought of bringing them books with me to a holiday vacation per say and reading them damn things under the sun all week long.... ugghhh, just shoot me pls!!! I have pokertracker and to this day, I still don't know how to use it. I fear the exact same scenario will happen with a book.

4) chump or bubble

Simply put, I am coming back the next time with a vegance on everyone and everything..., it's all out war regardless of who it is.

MC
  • MCflip73 wrote: »
    I generally go on tilt when...,

1) others berate me for 'misplaying' my winning hand..., or so they say.

Of course, it only occurs when I win and they lose. Funny how they don't seem to praise you for 'correctly' playing a losing hand and donking off chips.

2) I fold a pp to a shove and call an all-in pre with none.

Don't know if this make any real logical sense but AA after the flop is still a pair to me..., a good one mind you but it definitely ain't the nuts.

3) I am thinking that it is finally the time to pick up a poker book and read.

The thought of bringing them books with me to a holiday vacation per say and reading them damn things under the sun all week long.... ugghhh, just shoot me pls!!! I have pokertracker and to this day, I still don't know how to use it. I fear the exact same scenario will happen with a book.

4) chump or bubble

Simply put, I am coming back the next time with a vegance on everyone and everything..., it's all out war regardless of who it is.

MC

English only