Announcing Royal XI (April 21, 2012)

Comments

• Except maybe by my teammates for my poker display. :shame:
    Been meaning to talk to you about that...lol.. Hey there were a couple of well known and respected Ching members who finished below you. We've all had those sort of days.. I wasn't pleased with my own performance either.
    I'd say address it privately among those disturbed and those disturbing. I would be against seeing new rules made up to address it.

Absolutely.. This is not something to be addressed with rules.
  • Wolffhound wrote: »
    2. double check HU assignment sheet to balance where teams pic (first or second) for their match ups so that a team doesn't get left with placing their player first 7 out of 8 times.

At RC X the order of matches was random. In the future I might try to make it a little more balanced.
    STR82ACE wrote: »
    For the love of God and the sake of my failing eyesight use larger fonts for the table sheets and headsup sheet

Noted.

Currently the spreadsheet only works for exactly 8 teams, but if its necessary for a future RC I will make it more flexible.

/g2
  • g2 wrote: »
    At RC X the order of matches was random. In the future I might try to make it a little more balanced.

Noted.

Currently the spreadsheet only works for exactly 8 teams, but if its necessary for a future RC I will make it more flexible.

/g2

Greg, you are way too accomodating.. Your spreadsheet is amazing, had numerous positive comments on it. Don't know if we will ever grow beyond 8 teams again but we'll deal with it if we have that "nice to have problem".

As for making the picking a little more balanced as to which team picks first that would be a nice to have.. If only to quiet Wolffy down.. :)
  • compuease wrote: »
    Greg, you are way too accomodating.. Your spreadsheet is amazing, had numerous positive comments on it. Don't know if we will ever grow beyond 8 teams again but we'll deal with it if we have that "nice to have problem".

As for making the picking a little more balanced as to which team picks first that would be a nice to have.. If only to quiet Wolffy down.. :)

I'd love to hear the positive comments :)

And any constructive criticism is welcome too... so I can further improve it!

/g2
  • The spreadsheet and scoing system is AWESOME. Up to the minute scoring with real time online posting, are you kidding me ??!?

Other than font size on the table/seat assignments, I wouldn't change a thing about the scoring / spreadsheet.

/g2

It just that so many people were amazed how we (well Pinhead actually) could keep everything up to date, live, mirrored to the web, in real time. A couple of the newer people asked who created it...

Only criticism was the balancing of team picks.. And that was only Wolfy since he was the only one who had to pick 1st 7 of the 8 times.. lol...

oh yea and font size for the paperwork, table sheets and captains HU picks.. AJ has bad eyes.. :)
  • Just randomize half the heads up picks. 1st team picking should be assigned in order 1-8. Second team picking should be random.
  • Except maybe by my teammates for my poker display. :shame:

I'd say address it privately among those disturbed and those disturbing. Letting your feelings made known directly to the offender is a better way to effectively deal with it than complaining to a third party in my books. I would be against seeing new rules made up to address it.

If I play a Royal every 5 years...I guarantee out of the many others play in those five years, on average I offended less than others overall.

My last memory is busting out of NLHE...anything after I might have to apologize for. Who did I play heads up?

If you think I was bad there, apparently you should have come to the strip club....eeek.

I drink because I'm unhappy, I'm unhappy because I drink.

God Bless you all.

• 1) If I play a Royal every 5 years...I guarantee out of the many others play in those five years, on average I offended less than others overall.

2) My last memory is busting out of NLHE...anything after I might have to apologize for. Who did I play heads up?

3) If you think I was bad there, apparently you should have come to the strip club....eeek.

4) I drink because I'm unhappy, I'm unhappy because I drink.

God Bless you all.

1) I doubt it, based on the evidence.

2) Change "any" to "every" and you're getting warm.

3) This is neither an excuse or mitigation. You are an adult. Take responsibility for your actions.

4) If serious, perhaps you should address those issues.

My response is strictly in regards to your post. It has nothing to do with anything said between us on Saturday.

Jeff, and through you to the rest of the Royal players on this site, I have heard from a member of one team that says they will not be back fro the reasons mentioned previous. I think we all would hope they reconsider, but it is what it is.

As for the rest, I like the Royal Cup. But I am all for exploring and discussing possibilities to expand both the venue and the population. The Royal is a great event that deserves to be shared with all who want to take part.

• If you think I was bad there, apparently you should have come to the strip club....eeek.

I drink because I'm unhappy, I'm unhappy because I drink.

God Bless you all.
    This isn't a strip club and there are ladies present (and some guys I might add) who don't want it to become one.. :)
    Now me on the other hand... lol, just kidding there...
    Milo wrote: »

Jeff, and through you to the rest of the Royal players on this site, I have heard from a member of one team that says they will not be back fro the reasons mentioned previous. I think we all would hope they reconsider, but it is what it is.
    I have of course heard the same and more...:(

/g2

Greg, I followed the tournament all day from Kitchener. Spreadsheet was outstanding. I felt like I was watching the ticker on the Score. Job well done.
  • I will echo Buzz's comments. I love the spreadsheet . . . made it real easy to show the wife how the day progressed. Also helped with proof of my play . . . as in, see?!?!? Told ya I done good . . .
  • +1 on the spreadsheet, very easy to use but I'll send you a couple minor things I noticed that could improve for next time out. Thanks for taking the time to set it up and make it so easy to follow /Greg
  • So after talking with comp, and seeing some of the responses in this thread. It seems like the idea of a larger RC/venue is favoured as long as we can stay within some certain ground rules. Can we establish what those ground rules are so that those who have some ideas and/or want to start looking can?
  • Milo wrote: »
    I will echo Buzz's comments. I love the spreadsheet . . . made it real easy to show the wife how the day progressed. Also helped with proof of my play . . . as in, see?!?!? Told ya I done good . . .

Thought at first spreadsheet was all fucked up when I saw Milo near the top of the MVP all day. Congrats to him for his solid play.
  • Buzzzardd wrote: »
    Thought at first spreadsheet was all fucked up when I saw Milo near the top of the MVP all day. Congrats to him for his solid play.

Then you saw HBK bubble and all was well in the universe again. :D
  • I'm meh about it. If you allow drinking it's going to happen. If you don't allow drinking you'll have less interest and less interesting Royals.

Wow I doubt Ive disagreed with anything more on this forum, ever.

The worst part about the royal is the manchildren who desire to be the centre of attention, and yell and scream like complete morons.

I guarantee the Royal would be a just as interesting (and personally more enjoyable) without.
  • crazykoby wrote: »
    So after talking with comp, and seeing some of the responses in this thread. It seems like the idea of a larger RC/venue is favoured as long as we can stay within some certain ground rules. Can we establish what those ground rules are so that those who have some ideas and/or want to start looking can?

I am going to guess that the room we had was a 25x25 space. I would suggest something 1.5 - 2 times that size would be adequate to provide the increased room for a couple more teams, plus mingling space, say 1,000 sq.ft. Fridge would be nice, but not a requirement. Obviously tables and chairs in adequate quantities to save bringing our own.

That's all I got right now . . .
  • Buzzzardd wrote: »

aaaahhhh . . . feeling the love. :):bs::D

also . . . not ALL day. Played down to expectations in Stud (5th). After that . . . MAGIC TIME.
    aaaahhhh . . . feeling the love. :):bs::D

Almost gave Buzzzard my first "like". Im saving it for something special and that was almost it.
    I am going to guess that the room we had was a 25x25 space. I would suggest something 1.5 - 2 times that size would be adequate to provide the increased room for a couple more teams, plus mingling space, say 1,000 sq.ft. Fridge would be nice, but not a requirement. Obviously tables and chairs in adequate quantities to save bringing our own.

That's all I got right now . . .

By certain ground rules i mean, does the space have to be something that is donated or free vs a rental space? If we decide to rent a space is there a dollar figure that everyone is comfortable with? Does it have to be BYOB (assuming still allowed) vs sold on site? Is everyone on there own for food or can we look into dinner included? etc...
    By certain ground rules i mean, does the space have to be something that is donated or free vs a rental space? Does it have to be BYOB (assuming still allowed) vs sold on site? Is everyone on there own for food or can we look into dinner included? etc...

I'd say all options would be on the table. And being able to pick and choose the venue / options that appeal to the majority.

And I'll second Wetts' comments regarding public drunkeness. I am not a prude and have no problem if someone wants to have a beverage or two during the day. But drinking to excess, makes it less enjoyable for everyone.
  • Yeah lets keep the spirit of competition about this event and not who can be the loudest. I mean if you want to show team spirit dress up in uniform or crazy costume.

There was some good poker played but 1hr of yelling and screaming straight while you are trying to explain rules to players who have never played a game does make it a little challenging.

In my years of playing underground I really don't see any heat coming for this game. It truly is not big enough for the "bad guys" nor the "authorities."

As already stated the event is 2 times a year, more for bragging rights than anything else.
    By certain ground rules i mean, does the space have to be something that is donated or free vs a rental space? If we decide to rent a space is there a dollar figure that everyone is comfortable with? Does it have to be BYOB (assuming still allowed) vs sold on site? Is everyone on there own for food or can we look into dinner included? etc...

For me personally (for reasons that some on here already know but I don't want to declare publicly... if you don't know I have no issue explaining, just via PM), I prefer free/donated, BYOB and providing my own food. This is partially to control where my money is spent, but also to keep this event somewhat under the radar.

Nothing against chipping in a few extra bucks as "rake" to cover expenses (I was more than willing to chip in for the KWSOP before the cops stepped in), but my situation has changed substantially since then and I doubt I would feel comfortable playing a higher profile event.
  • With all this being said about over indulging in alcohol and certain players having to keep a low profile.

What do you think is going to happen if a player over indulges way to much to the point something happens and the cops show up?

I have no problem with players drinking, or with players trying to grab attention for themselves with being loud. It is when the alcohol consumption goes overboard and that could cause problems
  • Pinhead wrote: »
    For me personally (for reasons that some on here already know but I don't want to declare publicly... if you don't know I have no issue explaining, just via PM), I prefer free/donated, BYOB and providing my own food. This is partially to control where my money is spent, but also to keep this event somewhat under the radar.

Nothing against chipping in a few extra bucks as "rake" to cover expenses (I was more than willing to chip in for the KWSOP before the cops stepped in), but my situation has changed substantially since then and I doubt I would feel comfortable playing a higher profile event.

Good point, I remember us talking about this. If we market this event as a stag does that work?
  • Something says I should chime in here..

My thoughts:

1- The Royal cup should NOT expand.
    A: More teams means more hiccups / players not attending / potential dingbats
    B: The venue / setup / running of the program is about damned near perfect
    C: Add more people / teams, and suddenly it's going to be "let do it in TO / more
    often"
    D: It's enough work for those in charge as it is.

2. - The venue should not move
    A: Any and all costs to players aside from buyin are their own choosing (booze,
    food, side games, flips, etc). I'd hate to end up in a "no outside F&D" place
    B: The venue is super cheap (I thought free for some reason, will ship $ to comp)
    C: Everyone by now knows where it is, and it's central.
    D: Adding a rake will exclude more players than limiting the teams to 8.

3. Alcohol
    A: Although I'm sure I've pissed off a few with my antics, I somehow don't think I
    was public enemy #1 (Thanks Haddon ;).
    B: All or nothing IMO - it's either a dry zone or it's drink as you like (I'm good with
    either)
    C: I will point out that AFAIK nobody has ever irresponsibly driven / damaged /
    instigated to the point of police involvement

I guess if you read my contributions, I say that it isn't broke, so don't fix it. I love this event, I have a lot of fun, and most who know me know I'm teasing in good nature, despite my indulgence (as an aside, I am curious if any of these mutterings of "Damned drunks" are directly solely at me, or as a collective - I'd like to know if I angered anyone specifically).

I say, book RCXI, leave it as it is. The booze thing, your call, don't matter to me, and quite frankly is the only thing that should be put on the table to change.

Mark
  • Pinhead wrote: »

+1 exactly
  • This was my third Royal, the first (RC VI) being at the Kitchener location. I felt that THAT location was close to perfect. Plenty of space to move around and observe other tables, chat, whatever. I also thought that there were 10 teams there but I may be recalling incorrectly. (I realize that going back there isn't an option)

I think an expanded venue and even adding a couple of teams would be fine, but 8 tables of 8 seems to work pretty well and is clearly the limit of the current location.

Maybe we should start taking a rake or donations or whatever and eventually just pay for renovations so we have more space? ;)

As far as drinking I am completely indifferent. I don't drink, and I also wasn't bothered by those who did.
  • Maybe this isn't clear.

A significant number of people will avoid a raked game. This site has a history of being watched by the police, and mention of a rake in the past literally brought policemen to a member's door mere days before the event warning that if we didn't shut it down, there would be arrests.

I can think of at least three people who will not attend a raked game on the off chance of police involvement - myself included (I ever get arrested, I lose my job / anything in my field), not to mention one of the key organizers of the event. That doesn't even include anyone who may get the heebie geebies.

Mark