Announcing Royal XI (April 21, 2012)

A place for us to discuss date, venue, changes, etc.

A couple of suggestions have been made already.

1/ For Stud only start the blinds a little higher and maybe add a level to have it finish just a lttle earlier to hopefuly match PLO.

2/ Not have a dinner break after LHE similar to this time which end the night earlier. We were done and outa there by 9:30 this time which was nice.

Comments

• The dinner break must go.
  • Also suggest we look at the structure of the LHE.

Instead of having 25/50 and 50/100, Id rather play 3 levels of 75/150 or 100/200.

Essentially, there are no decisions made in the first 2 levels making them irrelevent. The LHE relevance happens when your preflop and flop decisions actually impact the outcome.
  • compuease wrote: »
    1/ For Stud only start the blinds a little higher and maybe add a level to have it finish just a lttle earlier to hopefuly match PLO.

Stud finished before PLO.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Also suggest we look at the structure of the LHE.

Instead of having 25/50 and 50/100, Id rather play 3 levels of 75/150 or 100/200.

Essentially, there are no decisions made in the first 2 levels making them irrelevent. The LHE relevance happens when your preflop and flop decisions actually impact the outcome.

I brought that up to Compuease as well at the end of the night. Take out the 25/50 50/100 and start it at like 100/200, go 125/250, 150/300, 200/400. You still get to 200/400 by the 4th level but the decisions are revelant from the get go
  • Disagree on the raising of the Stud/LHE initial blinds. Doing so will turn the games into more of a crap-shoot than what they already are (or certainly most players tend to think of them as). Raising the blinds will punish the good players (who play more correctly at the smaller blinds) and reward the less-good (who are playing too loose).

Additionally the better players can use the smaller levels to assess the play of their opponents without one mistake/beat meaning a crippling blow to their stack.

I'd rather see the length of the blinds lowered slightly than the blinds raised. Or just keep them the way they are which really didn't seem that bad (and this from a guy who got less than 15mins for lunch because of the length of my stud match against Mario).
  • 1.As discussed last night with Jeff, for the HU picks, give the Captains a blind level
    to make all their pics together at the table, then start their NL game.
    HU pics will be done and at most, the Captains table is only 15 minutes behind.

The Captains have enough work already put into the days leading up to and and during they day, they should be at least able to play/enjoy their NL table without the distraction of picking their HU assignments.

2. double check HU assignment sheet to balance where teams pic (first or second) for their match ups so that a team doesn't get left with placing their player first 7 out of 8 times.

Still an amazing day that doesn't require a lot of tweaking. Day was run/directed great.
  • p.s. KitWho? is in for Royal XI
  • Wolffhound wrote: »
    p.s. KitWho? wins Royal XI

fyp ;)
  • Well since KitWho are there already, Put the Fish down for it as well since Wolffhound needs me there to be card dead with him. I am however changing the team name though.....the fish just is not working with us anymore!!!!

The Dinner Break removal is fine with me. Got out of there a little earlier which most of my team was quite happy about. You can always send players out for food during the day.

I dont really see a huge problem with the blinds as they are but I am open to hearing peoples thoughts with regards to tweaking them though.
  • Big Mike wrote: »
    Disagree on the raising of the Stud/LHE initial blinds. Doing so will turn the games into more of a crap-shoot than what they already are (or certainly most players tend to think of them as). Raising the blinds will punish the good players (who play more correctly at the smaller blinds) and reward the less-good (who are playing too loose).

Additionally the better players can use the smaller levels to assess the play of their opponents without one mistake/beat meaning a crippling blow to their stack.

I'd rather see the length of the blinds lowered slightly than the blinds raised. Or just keep them the way they are which really didn't seem that bad (and this from a guy who got less than 15mins for lunch because of the length of my stud match against Mario).

I seem to recall the levels lasting 12 minutes during the last Royal in Kitchener, but I may be wrong. I liked the Stud the way it was, as there is currently time to figure people out, establish your image as a donk, etc.

As for the LHE, why not start @ 50/100, 75/150, 100/200, 150/300, 200/400 and go from there?
  • p.s. KitWho? wins Royal XI

Not if their Captain can't beat a donk like me, they aren't . . .

Ching Hill, FTW, baby.
  • Milo wrote: »
    p.s. KitWho? wins Royal XI

Not if their Captain can't beat a donk like me, they aren't . . .

Ching Hill, FTW, baby.

Even donkeys can get lucky for a day...I mean even Pinhead can win MVP ;)
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Even donkeys can get lucky for a day...I mean even Pinhead can win MVP ;)

This from a guy in a Micros tee? . . .

Waitaminnit. nvm :-[
  • If given the opportunity I would like to call around and see if we can get this booked as a stag or Jack and Jill event.....see what we can get rate wise etc
  • I'm up for shopping this event around, as long as we can keep it a 'fun' event and not risk having the game busted by the FUZZ.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    I'm up for shopping this event around, as long as we can keep it a 'fun' event and not risk having the game busted by the FUZZ.

Well if you put it in as a no rake event, and maybe we make a charitable donation we should have no problem. The people who are coming to this event are invited and essentially we all know who is going to be there according to team rosters.

The issue with the "busts" arises when you are running cash games where the house is taking a rake and running the game consistently on a weekly basis. I have been to many stags that have run 3-4table cash games and there was no sight of cops anywhere.

You can bill this event in similar fashion.
  • For the love of God and the sake of my failing eyesight use larger fonts for the table sheets and headsup sheet
  • We didn't exactly have a wait list of teams clamouring to get in. Eight is enough. For once we didn't have teams scrambling for players at the last minute. Last Royal we had teams which were short players. Milton is central to most teams. The venue is fine. We can bring our own drinks. I thought it was free but I see now it is $50. Comp I owe you a drink in Vegas or at least some driving lessons or something.

No reason to change anything, except allow unlimited raises heads up in the limit games.
  • moose wrote: »
    No reason to change anything, except allow unlimited raises heads up in the limit games.

The Royal is great how it is, but it isn't allowed to grow? Why should we keep this gem hidden? If we try to expand it and it does not work, no harm will be done, but we should not, imo, discard the opportunity to make a great event better.

But you're right about the raising . . . :)
  • Milo wrote: »
    The Royal is great how it is, but it isn't allowed to grow? Why should we keep this gem hidden? If we try to expand it and it does not work, no harm will be done, but we should not, imo, discard the opportunity to make a great event better.

But you're right about the raising . . . :)

I think it should at least be put out there. Obviously if we don't have further interest we don't have to expand but its a great day for poker enthusiasts and really good poker. I guess I figured it would be nice to have a venue where if you are not playing there is room to move between tables, also make it a little more comfortable for players (spacing wise). Having a nice buffet for lunch etc would be nice too, allow everyone to sit down with each other and enjoy some good food etc.

I still say have the event in Milton as well, no need to change the vicinity.
  • BTW as far as modifying the blinds for limit - if the first level is 25/50 blinds with limits of 50/100, then capped preflop, two bets on the flop and a bet on the turn and river is 10% of the starting stack - how can that not be considered meaningful decision making? There is no reason to change.

Eliminate the 'dinner break' and start the no limit round with a 15 min break, during which people can eat and the captains can make the heads up picks and then everyone can start together. No need to put the captains table a level behind.
  • Just my $0.02 cents here.

Had a fun time as usual, but i'm going to agree with blackmagicz here. I think that a slightly larger venue would make the day even more enjoyable as well as provide some more usable space. Personally i would like to see an area that could comfortably provide space for 10-12 tables. Ideally this would provide space for 8-10 teams as well as a couple of extra tables to play flipaments, quick sit-n-gos for those out and somewhere to sit and eat/socialize. I think by simply increasing the buyin from $50 to $60 per player taking the additional $10 per player and using it to cover the cost of a larger hall, any $ left over can go towards food/snacks/drinks etc. I think this is an avenue that we should explore at least for the next one to see how it is liked. If it does not not work we can always revert back to the current set up
  • I know one issue with charging money for anything other than for the prizepool will start bringing unwanted attention. It has happened for previous events where it was publicized that a certain $ amount will go towards venue/equipment rental along with food/drinks, and the organizer was contacted by law enforcements.

It's a very fine line here that we're potentially crossing here.
    I know one issue with charging money for anything other than for the prizepool will start bringing unwanted attention. It has happened for previous events where it was publicized that a certain $ amount will go towards venue/equipment rental along with food/drinks, and the organizer was contacted by law enforcements.

I understand that there is risk with this idea, and by no means am i intending to step on anyones toes or belittle anyones concerns, but lets be honest here, the risk is absolutly the bare minimum. All of the people playing in the RC are either known members of this forum or at least known by there team Captains. Plus this is something that is only run bi-annually, i highly doubt that we would make the top list of any law enforcements radar.

By the legal definition the current set up itself is illegal as far as how i understand the law. If Jeff is paying the current space $50 then they are profiting from the game. I don't want to turn this into a debate about the legallity of the game, all i'm saying is that there should be a way for us to do this with a slightly larger venue as long as we are smart about it.
  • crazykoby wrote: »
    By the legal definition the current set up itself is illegal as far as how i understand the law. If Jeff is paying the current space $50 then they are profiting from the game. I don't want to turn this into a debate about the legallity of the game, all i'm saying is that there should be a way for us to do this with a slightly larger venue as long as we are smart about it.
    Sorry not correct. I am donating the space ( yea I pay the $50.) so in effect the Royal is not illegal. By your definition having a home game in a house that has a morgage is illegal. Bank is profiting...:)
    Look guys I personally have no issue with playing in a raked game as long as it's not high profile, shady, or overraked but.. and this is a big but.. There are some long time Royal players that will not and can not play in even a remotely illegal game. I also would like to host it in a slightly larger space, not necessarily to grow it but just to have some more room. However then the cost goes up significantly and we are into collecting a "rake" to pay for it. We need donated space if we're going to stay on the strictly legal side of it.
    If anyone can come up with a larger location I am fine with it personally.

We do have some larger issues however.. I have had more than one concern or complaint brought to my attention re the over indulgence by a few participants that reduced the enjoyment of the event. I personally have no issue but it is a concern to a few. Do we address it or not?
    I know one issue with charging money for anything other than for the prizepool will start bringing unwanted attention. It has happened for previous events where it was publicized that a certain $ amount will go towards venue/equipment rental along with food/drinks, and the organizer was contacted by law enforcements.

The 2005 KWSOP :(. Man that would have been fun.

We do have some larger issues however.. I have had more than one concern or complaint brought to my attention re the over indulgence by a few participants that reduced the enjoyment of the event. I personally have no issue but it is a concern to a few. Do we address it or not?

Well, I'm sorry.....oh wait I was hung over from Friday so it wasn't me.

I'm meh about it. If you allow drinking it's going to happen. If you don't allow drinking you'll have less interest and less interesting Royals. As long as no one is driving after over indulging I say live and let live.
  • Well, I'm sorry.....oh wait I was hung over from Friday so it wasn't me.

I'm meh about it. If you allow drinking it's going to happen. If you don't allow drinking you'll have less interest and less interesting Royals. As long as no one is driving after over indulging I say live and let live.

You and I are in alignment here but since there are some concerns and we do want everyone to have a good time, it should at least be addressed, correct?
    There were one or two who were pretty bad.. and I don't publically want to name names.. If anyone wants to pm me or email me privately please do. Some already have... I really am uncomfortable addressing it as the Royal is not "mine", it is all of "ours"..

Tis ok Mole, your name has not been mentioned... At least not in a negative way. :)

Tis ok Mole, your name has not been mentioned... At least not in a negative way. :)

Except maybe by my teammates for my poker display. :shame:

I'd say address it privately among those disturbed and those disturbing. Letting your feelings made known directly to the offender is a better way to effectively deal with it than complaining to a third party in my books. I would be against seeing new rules made up to address it.