stars battle of the planets

since i'm lazy and i never play enough poker, i've never actually completed a round of battle of the planets (i.e. i've haven't even played 20 sng tournaments in one week to qualify for the lower end let alone 100).

however, just out of curiousity, i looked at my previous 20 sng tournaments that qualify (all $1.50 buy-in 27 man sngs) just to see how i'd do if they fell within one week. i was very surprised at the results.

despite me running at 101% roi over my previous 20 tournaments, i still would have not even made the sng leader board (i think i was around 400-ish points if i remember correctly). i guess you really need to be on crazy run good to get there.

i thought i'd have a chance to make it since i have done well in sngs generally, but this seems almost impossible. i'm never lucky enough to string a run together like that.

Comments

• Ya you have to do very well to get on it, I tried years ago did a stake for it and just fell short of appearing on it, but back then you did not even have to get 400 points to make it either if I remember.

I did a thread not too long ago when they doubled the prizepool for it, I started off pretty good and was over 200 points but I was like you and did not finish the 20 games,lol.

I look at how many points I have for the week when I play for shits and giggles but I don't make it my main focus.:)
  • yeah, probably better to not focus on the leaderboard i guess. maybe one day i'll make it ;)
  • love battle of the planets...go tiny
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    love battle of the planets...go tiny

heh, no idea what this is.
  • What buy in do you play?
  • philliivey wrote: »
    What buy in do you play?

just the low levels: mercury ($1-$2.99) and mars ($3-$4.99) mostly. and i usually play the 27 man sngs. the specific buy-ins for them are $1.50 and $3.50.
  • trigs wrote: »
    heh, no idea what this is.

G-Force!!!
    Classic cartoon show. Short lived. Cool story though.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    G-Force!!!
    Classic cartoon show. Short lived. Cool story though.

i'll stick with thundercats.
  • 1st game in a month.....

Horrible start............

Epic comeback..........

Flatline to itm............

16 points.
  • one for one phil.
    one for one phil.

1/2 after J6 calls a preflop raise and of course my AA get sucked out on....barf.:arghh:

Always the next game! :)
  • i'm 1 for 2 as well. took 1st in my first tourney this week. too bad i'll never hit 20 games though.
  • Well gl trigs, I am already out of the running for it, Lost with AA to JJ this time and am on a 9th place kick, stars during the day is not the time to play I find, might fire up a few more games this evening.
  • what is this battle of planets you speak of?
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    what is this battle of planets you speak of?

it's just the stars sng leader boards. it's broken up into buy-in ranges and there are two categories for number of tournaments played.

so for example, the mercury leader board is for all sngs with 30 players or less and buy-ins between $1 to $2.99. if you complete at least 20 of these tournaments in one week (or 100 for the high leader board category) than you qualify for the leader board. if you collect enough points and finish in the top 100 (usually anywhere from 450 to 600+ points), then you win money based on your finish position. payouts obviously increase for each buy-in level. here's the link to the site.

i actually emailed full tilt years ago suggesting that they make this sort of sng leader board. never heard back from them and a few months later stars began theirs. at least some site did it. although, as stated, i never play 20 in a week.
    Well gl trigs, I am already out of the running for it, Lost with AA to JJ this time and am on a 9th place kick, stars during the day is not the time to play I find, might fire up a few more games this evening.

what do you play? 9, 18, 27 man sngs?
    what do you play? 9, 18, 27 man sngs?

Well 18 man's, in a bad stretch so I may switch er up to 9 man's or 27 man's.
  • Wouldn't soemthing like this be full of 20 tablers though? can it be done?
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    Wouldn't soemthing like this be full of 20 tablers though? can it be done?

it is in the rules that you can qualify for the low leader board and the high leader board in the same week. and one can play multiple blocks of 20 games with only their best 20 counting to the leader board (i.e. games #1-20 are first block, games #21-40 are second block etc.). therefore, the low leader board will be mostly dominated by players who have played hundreds of games and somewhere in there have a crazy good 20 game stretch.

personally, i wish they'd remove the rule that you can qualify for both boards at the same time, but that's only because i'll never play that volume.

EDIT: and i'm fairly confident that i could make it on the low leader board playing only 20 tournaments in a week. might take me a few tries though, but i think it can be done.
    Well 18 man's, in a bad stretch so I may switch er up to 9 man's or 27 man's.

i find the 27 man tourneys pretty good. first gets 80 points so i find them worth it for that alone. realistically, one double up and you can grind it to final table most likely (where top 5 of 9 pays).

2/3 (119 points)
    played a 6 man turbo just to waste 45 minutes and won it.
    i find the 27 man tourneys pretty good. first gets 80 points so i find them worth it for that alone. realistically, one double up and you can grind it to final table most likely (where top 5 of 9 pays).

2/3 (119 points)
    played a 6 man turbo just to waste 45 minutes and won it.

Wooot!

Was gonna play 6 man and try them again, somehow I reg'd for the usual 9 man. DOH!
  • 3/4 - 199 points
    just took another first in 27 man.
  • Following you and playing 27 mans, on final table of one right now. :)
    Following you and playing 27 mans, on final table of one right now. :)

lol nice man. gl!

like i said, i like them. run about two hours which is a good time as well.
  • Finished 3rd, getting nothing at the end was a bit frustrating but I recouped most of my losses from the last 2 days, LOL.
  • nice run philli.

i'm going to try to play a few more of these tonight.
    nice run philli.

i'm going to try to play a few more of these tonight.

Ya that was the plan for me too until I just could not connect to the internet for the half hour.
  • 10 games completed - 257 points

i'm already doubting my chances this week.
  • 11 games completed - 295 points

banked a third.
  • forced myself to finish the 20 games, but came up short. had to play the last 4 games as 18 man sngs at the same time though.

here are my stats for the week:

ITM: 35%
    ROI: 90.1%
    Net Won: $27.03
    Total Points: 357 (about 100 points short of leaderboard)