gg Mexican Tourism

2»

Comments

• Is it safe in Cozumel?

I hear the drift diving on the currents is just amazing in that area.
  • mags wrote: »
    1.5 million Canadians travelled to Mexico in 2008 and 96 died
    979K travelled to Cuba 38 died
    427k travelled to Germany 57 died

So far the numbers have not kept me from travelling to Mexico.

Where did those numbers come from? Sounds really high... Our Canadian murder rate is something like 2 per 100k but that's over a year. If we considered the average traveler stayed say 2 weeks that would equate to a murder rate of approx 166 per 100k for Mexico... Or 180 per 100k for Germany.. If these #'s are true I'm packing on my next vacation.. And I don't mean just clothes.
  • These are the number of people that died abroad, not murdered.
    These numbers are from Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.
  • mags wrote: »
    These are the number of people that died abroad, not murdered.
    These numbers are from Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.

So what does that mean? Can you point me to the link? I would think that a lot of Canadian travellers to the US die there since there are so many elderly snowbirds.. However it has nothing to do with the question at hand, ie what are the unsafe countries to visit?
  • How safe are Canadians abroad? - World - CBC News

Here is a better a link and more to the point.
  • Good article mags. I personally have no problem going to Mexico and have never ever run into anything even remotely scary, and I'm not one to sit at resorts and rot...I get out there and see and do things, take public transit, wherever, whatever. As that article illustrates, the news loves to distort things and the stats say it all. Things are clearly getting worse in Mexico cartel wise, but as a tourist you are safer being in Mexico than probably most of the 'southern' destinations. Sure, there is massive corruption....but as long as you make it work for you all is golden :D
    Bottom line....you can't live your life scared based on the media scum....the same media actually pretend and decide for everyone that Paris Hilton and the Kardashians matter....lol.
  • Ok, I really have to comment on this thread and I am doing my best to keep an even keel because this topic really burns me and I have been dealing with it for a long time now.
    SuitedPair wrote: »
    Milo touched on it already and I won't do the work for you by getting you the links but this statement is so incredibly short sighted it's laughable. No where in mexico is safe from the violence. And corruption is rampant everywhere.

which section of the mexico tourism board do you work for? or do you just have on tequila rose coloured glasses and miss the forest of dead for the boxes in the morgue?

and to compare that shit hole to Toronto is pathetically asinine and displays incredible ignorance. The murder rate here is NOTHING compared to the safest place mexico.

as others have said, if you go there, don't complain when something awful happens as you should have known better. No disrespect to the dead is intended but no other way to phrase it.

SuitedPair, no personal offence intended, but your statements are incredibly ignorant. I mean this in the literal sense, as in it is obvious to me that they are not based on fact.

Let me explain. I just got back from living in Mexico for the past 5 years. I also lived in Mexico for another 3 years before that. So I, absolutely, KNOW what I am talking about. Have you even ever been there?

I do not really blame you for your opinion though because it is the exact opinion that you and so many others have that has been fostered and brainwashed into them by the media (and it's controlling interests-more on that in a moment).

For example, you say "No where in Mexico is safe from the violence." Really? Check this out as just one example then why don't you Merida, Mexico 'City of Peace' (Top out of the 100 most peaceful cities in the world. Cozumel was also given an honourable mention.) Merida has one of the lowest crime rates of any city in the world. (No, I never lived there, but I have been. It's a lovely town)

You leap to the attack of Dexx, accusing them of working for the Mexican Tourist board but what I find most perplexing is why you seem to have such strong feelings on the matter?
    Milo wrote: »
    Tell that to the couple from Woodbridge that were murdered a few years ago on the Mayan Riviera (iirc), or the two ON women the Federales accused (with no evidence) to deflect concerns. Or the victim from earlier this spring. These are just off the top of my head, mind you . . .

Plenty of other places in the Carribean that are as cheap, or cheaper, than Mexico with inifinitely greater security for you and yours.

Oh, and for safer, try the DR or Cuba. Jamaica's resort areas are fine, too.

Milo, you say there are plenty of Caribbean places which are cheaper and safer. Have you ever actually looked at any statistics to indicate that? And you mention Jamaica as being safer? In Jamaica, they tell you NOT to leave your resort. This is never the case in the vast majority of tourist areas in Mexico. Especially the Riveria Maya. (And, just so you know, I was Born in Jamaica and have many relatives there still. I'm not telling any one not to go there. But to say it is safer than Mexico is not where near the truth.)
    Milo wrote: »
    No, but they do not happen elsewhere in North America on the scale that occurs in Mexico, and no amount of rationalizing on your part will change that. That country cannot even protect it's own security forces, and you think they give a rat's ass about tourists? And please, do not mention tourist $$$ that are needed to help the economy. That is a canard of the highest order . . .

To say that Mexico does not give a rat ass about tourists is an incredibly ludicrous statement. They could hardly care about anything else more! Tourism is the SECOND biggest industry and source of revenue in Mexico, behind only gas and oil, which is number one. The drop in tourism in Mexico has been and is absolutely devastating to their economy and everyone who depends on tourism for a living-which is a vast percentage of the population. They are doing everything that they can to make Mexico as safe for tourists as possible. And for the most part, they are, and always have been, succeeding at it exceedingly well, despite the heavy forces against them (more on this in a moment)

Now, to give a little more background on myself. I worked directly in the tourist industry, in different aspects, for over 5 years in total and indirectly for about 3 years. And I can tell you that the tourism industry has taken several devastating blows over the past few years. First was the drop in the global economy. This of course effected the entire world but people are not thinking too much about vacations when they're worried about losing their homes.

Right on the heels of this was all the total BS about the Swine Flu. I won't go into too much detail on this but it was utter bullshit. Yes, there were a few cases in Mexico. But Not the whole country! Almost the entirety of them were in Mexico City, a place with a population around 20 Million (metropolis) so of course there were a few cases there. But meanwhile, the hysteria got so bad that planes were literally turned around in the air and forbidden to even land in Mexico. This was so devastating to Cancun in particular, a city (well, region) that is responsible for about 45% of Mexican total tourism revenue. Now let me tell you a little something about the swine flu virus. The virus is covered by a soft buttery-like coating which melts in the heat. Yes, Heat, something Caribbean Mexico has an abundance of. Therefore, THERE WAS NOT ONE SINGLE CASE OF SWINE FLU EVER IN CANCUN. People were literally, actually and factually at a much higher risk of catching the virus in their cold Northern homes than they were in Mexico. Yet because of the media hype (backed by Big Pharma and 'other' interested parties- almost there) the truth was completely obscured and Mexico lost billions of dollars as a result.

Next up, The Drug Wars, where exactly the same kind of media bullshit fear mongering campaigns are being used.

Yes, there's drug wars, Yes, people are dying, but 99.99% of the people who are dying in those wars are DRUG DEALERS (and, of course, some are the police and military who are 'trying to fight it'. The truth is that most of those 'official' forces are merely rival dealers. I'm not saying that innocent victims are never hurt or killed in these wars. They are, and it is always a tragedy. But the percentage of people killed as a result of the drug wars who are not connected to them is some way is very small.)

I am not even remotely trying to deny that violence or corruption exist in Mexico, it does, in spades. Just as it does in Every Single Other Country In The World. Really the only difference in Mexico is that it is much more 'visible'. Or what I jokingly call 'equal oppourtunity corruption' :rolleyes2: In Mexico, access to corrupt officials is not limited to only the mega rich, like it is here and in most other '1st world' nations. (and hey, if I can just pay a cop $20 for speeding a little instead of big fines, points off my licence etc etc...well, wouldn't you?)

Look, the simple, plain truth fact is that Mexico is a Big country. There are drug wars going on there (AND in the USA. All the problems happen along the border towns, back and forth) But all of that crap is Far away and removed from almost all of the tourist areas. FAR removed. To say that problems in one part of the country is a reason not to visit any of it is like saying if someone is killed in Nova Scotia you better not go to BC! Do you Ontarians out there not remember the whole 'Bird Flu' bullshit in Toronto a few years ago? How the whole world was freaked out, people wearing masks everywhere and a 'ban' on visiting Toronto. That cost Toronto a Ton of dough. Well, what if they had been saying that Nowhere in All Of Canada was safe just because there had been a few bird flu cases in Toronto. Are you starting to get me? Listen, a tourist in the Riveria Maya, or anyone else for that matter, is, I can say with certainty, just as safe, if not safer, there as they would be anywhere in Canada. And much safer there then many areas in Canada. This is plain and simple fact. I lived there for many years. I know. Would you Canadians say you have a better idea of what's going on in Canada then most people from say, France, or Japan, or even America would? Exactly.

There is a very good reason why the media has been, for a few years now, doing a very good job of scaring Americans, (and incidentally most of the rest of the world) from going to Mexico, but it's not what you think. As I said earlier, tourism is the number two industry in Mexico, and takes in billions and billions of dollars a year-well, it did- and (pay attention, this is important now) the vast majority of the incoming cash flow comes from who? From where? You guessed it, Americans. Now take a country that has been going though the worst deficit by far in it's entire history. I mean shit, they're beyond bankrupt. Now also take in the fact that, until just a very few years ago, most Americans didn't have passports. And even now that they have to have them, most of Americans still never leave the continent. Where were most of them going for vacation to spend their dollars? Right again, Mexico. So (are you already there?) "what to do" a cash short government ponders? How too vastly increase our revenue? How to stop all of those tourist dollars flowing out of the country? Well, I'll let you do the rest of the math from here. (and that's just the tip of the iceberg, or the opening of the rabbit hole. But them's talks for a whole other thread topic ; )

But in closing I's like to point out that the tactics being used are ones that are tried and proven and have been, and are, being used continuously, over and over, in many different arenas, all over the world. FEAR WORKS.

So please, before you bash a beautiful country, filled with beautiful, kind hearted people at least try and know what you are talking about. If you don't then best not say anything. And of course I'm not saying they're all saints there. Is there loads of assholes, criminals and other scum as well? Sure there is, just like anywhere else. But really, just ask anyone who's been there, Mexicans are, for the most part, a very friendly and happy people. I think it's the Sun. :cool2:

Holy shit! Just previewed this post! Frick it's long! Had no idea, but I guess, like I said, I've just been dealing with all this kind of Crap from the media and those who believe for a long time now. For those who actually made it all the way through this novel of a rant, thanks for your patience.

And for anyone who's thinking of going to Mexico but have been put off by all the reports of violence, please do not be! You are denying yourself a wonderful trip to one of the most beautiful, peaceful, and SAFE places to go in all the world. I do want to state that the vast majority of my time in Mexico was spent in the Riveria Maya (Caucun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel) but I have lived and traveled in other areas as well.

If anyone has any questions about Mexico, please feel free to ask me, here or in a PM and I'll be happy to help. And NO, I Do Not have any remaining connection with the tourism industry there, financial or otherwise. (and I never worked for the government or anything like that). I'm just a dude who lived and loved in Mexico for a long ass time and so know a lot about it. And still love, love, love it!

Peace

J

PS And of course, it goes without saying, that when visiting Mexico, or Anywhere else for that matter, even downtown Toronto, exercise due caution. Don't make stupid or careless choices, look both ways before you cross the road and follow the local laws. DO check advisory reports etc etc. But just try and make sure you make a Full, informed decision, instead of just relying on an ever increasingly biased and agenda based standard media. All the best to ya and Happy Trails! :)
  • I think you mean SARS in Toronto. And, yeah, I agree with you that the media exaggerates the danger with everything.

Now, where can I find some mota?
  • tl did read. :) well written and obviously with some passion and knowledge... I'm sold, course I never really was against visiting there...

You obviously have some personal knowledge, please share more... And don't mind the negtards here, we are not as bad as we sound...
  • Thanks.

Ask away!

@kwsteve: Mota?? Why, whatever could you be referring to sir?
  • Is it safe in Cozumel?
    SuitedPair wrote: »
    I hear the drift diving on the currents is just amazing in that area.

Yes, It's awesome.

In the past I would look for charter flights for $100, that leave the next day and then just get a $10 hotel and spend the whole week scuba diving.
  • Yes, It's awesome.

In the past I would look for charter flights for $100, that leave the next day and then just get a $10 hotel and spend the whole week scuba diving.

I haven't lived right in Cozumel for many years. But I lived right around there (like near Playa del Carmen, which is where you take the ferry from) and I don't recall Ever hearing of any kind of problems on the island. And as I pointed out, Cozumel was given special mention as one of the safest places in the world.

So if you're thinking of going, go! :)

PS How long ago was that you were going for $100? The only times I know of that you can still do that is if you go in off season. So like May, Sept or Oct. A just friend booked a flight in Oct for $87 I think! With WestJet.
  • Has anybody gone to Mexico since Cozisaid's defence? I'm looking for a March Break vacation with my kid, but with the media reporting all the Canadian vacationers dying in Mexico, my travel-hating spouse will declare Jihad if I take our kid to Mexico.

Does anybody know which all-inclusive resorts in Cuba or other safe country have Wifi so I can take my laptop and iPad Air?
    Cozisaid wrote: »
    Ok, I really have to comment on this thread and I am doing my best to keep an even keel because this topic really burns me and I have been dealing with it for a long time now.

SuitedPair, no personal offence intended, but your statements are incredibly ignorant. I mean this in the literal sense, as in it is obvious to me that they are not based on fact.

Let me explain. I just got back from living in Mexico for the past 5 years. I also lived in Mexico for another 3 years before that. So I, absolutely, KNOW what I am talking about. Have you even ever been there?

I do not really blame you for your opinion though because it is the exact opinion that you and so many others have that has been fostered and brainwashed into them by the media (and it's controlling interests-more on that in a moment).

For example, you say "No where in Mexico is safe from the violence." Really? Check this out as just one example then why don't you Merida, Mexico 'City of Peace' (Top out of the 100 most peaceful cities in the world. Cozumel was also given an honourable mention.) Merida has one of the lowest crime rates of any city in the world. (No, I never lived there, but I have been. It's a lovely town)

You leap to the attack of Dexx, accusing them of working for the Mexican Tourist board but what I find most perplexing is why you seem to have such strong feelings on the matter?

Milo, you say there are plenty of Caribbean places which are cheaper and safer. Have you ever actually looked at any statistics to indicate that? And you mention Jamaica as being safer? In Jamaica, they tell you NOT to leave your resort. This is never the case in the vast majority of tourist areas in Mexico. Especially the Riveria Maya. (And, just so you know, I was Born in Jamaica and have many relatives there still. I'm not telling any one not to go there. But to say it is safer than Mexico is not where near the truth.)

To say that Mexico does not give a rat ass about tourists is an incredibly ludicrous statement. They could hardly care about anything else more! Tourism is the SECOND biggest industry and source of revenue in Mexico, behind only gas and oil, which is number one. The drop in tourism in Mexico has been and is absolutely devastating to their economy and everyone who depends on tourism for a living-which is a vast percentage of the population. They are doing everything that they can to make Mexico as safe for tourists as possible. And for the most part, they are, and always have been, succeeding at it exceedingly well, despite the heavy forces against them (more on this in a moment)

Now, to give a little more background on myself. I worked directly in the tourist industry, in different aspects, for over 5 years in total and indirectly for about 3 years. And I can tell you that the tourism industry has taken several devastating blows over the past few years. First was the drop in the global economy. This of course effected the entire world but people are not thinking too much about vacations when they're worried about losing their homes.

Right on the heels of this was all the total BS about the Swine Flu. I won't go into too much detail on this but it was utter bullshit. Yes, there were a few cases in Mexico. But Not the whole country! Almost the entirety of them were in Mexico City, a place with a population around 20 Million (metropolis) so of course there were a few cases there. But meanwhile, the hysteria got so bad that planes were literally turned around in the air and forbidden to even land in Mexico. This was so devastating to Cancun in particular, a city (well, region) that is responsible for about 45% of Mexican total tourism revenue. Now let me tell you a little something about the swine flu virus. The virus is covered by a soft buttery-like coating which melts in the heat. Yes, Heat, something Caribbean Mexico has an abundance of. Therefore, THERE WAS NOT ONE SINGLE CASE OF SWINE FLU EVER IN CANCUN. People were literally, actually and factually at a much higher risk of catching the virus in their cold Northern homes than they were in Mexico. Yet because of the media hype (backed by Big Pharma and 'other' interested parties- almost there) the truth was completely obscured and Mexico lost billions of dollars as a result.

Next up, The Drug Wars, where exactly the same kind of media bullshit fear mongering campaigns are being used.

Yes, there's drug wars, Yes, people are dying, but 99.99% of the people who are dying in those wars are DRUG DEALERS (and, of course, some are the police and military who are 'trying to fight it'. The truth is that most of those 'official' forces are merely rival dealers. I'm not saying that innocent victims are never hurt or killed in these wars. They are, and it is always a tragedy. But the percentage of people killed as a result of the drug wars who are not connected to them is some way is very small.)

I am not even remotely trying to deny that violence or corruption exist in Mexico, it does, in spades. Just as it does in Every Single Other Country In The World. Really the only difference in Mexico is that it is much more 'visible'. Or what I jokingly call 'equal oppourtunity corruption' :rolleyes2: In Mexico, access to corrupt officials is not limited to only the mega rich, like it is here and in most other '1st world' nations. (and hey, if I can just pay a cop $20 for speeding a little instead of big fines, points off my licence etc etc...well, wouldn't you?)

Look, the simple, plain truth fact is that Mexico is a Big country. There are drug wars going on there (AND in the USA. All the problems happen along the border towns, back and forth) But all of that crap is Far away and removed from almost all of the tourist areas. FAR removed. To say that problems in one part of the country is a reason not to visit any of it is like saying if someone is killed in Nova Scotia you better not go to BC! Do you Ontarians out there not remember the whole 'Bird Flu' bullshit in Toronto a few years ago? How the whole world was freaked out, people wearing masks everywhere and a 'ban' on visiting Toronto. That cost Toronto a Ton of dough. Well, what if they had been saying that Nowhere in All Of Canada was safe just because there had been a few bird flu cases in Toronto. Are you starting to get me? Listen, a tourist in the Riveria Maya, or anyone else for that matter, is, I can say with certainty, just as safe, if not safer, there as they would be anywhere in Canada. And much safer there then many areas in Canada. This is plain and simple fact. I lived there for many years. I know. Would you Canadians say you have a better idea of what's going on in Canada then most people from say, France, or Japan, or even America would? Exactly.

There is a very good reason why the media has been, for a few years now, doing a very good job of scaring Americans, (and incidentally most of the rest of the world) from going to Mexico, but it's not what you think. As I said earlier, tourism is the number two industry in Mexico, and takes in billions and billions of dollars a year-well, it did- and (pay attention, this is important now) the vast majority of the incoming cash flow comes from who? From where? You guessed it, Americans. Now take a country that has been going though the worst deficit by far in it's entire history. I mean shit, they're beyond bankrupt. Now also take in the fact that, until just a very few years ago, most Americans didn't have passports. And even now that they have to have them, most of Americans still never leave the continent. Where were most of them going for vacation to spend their dollars? Right again, Mexico. So (are you already there?) "what to do" a cash short government ponders? How too vastly increase our revenue? How to stop all of those tourist dollars flowing out of the country? Well, I'll let you do the rest of the math from here. (and that's just the tip of the iceberg, or the opening of the rabbit hole. But them's talks for a whole other thread topic ; )

But in closing I's like to point out that the tactics being used are ones that are tried and proven and have been, and are, being used continuously, over and over, in many different arenas, all over the world. FEAR WORKS.

So please, before you bash a beautiful country, filled with beautiful, kind hearted people at least try and know what you are talking about. If you don't then best not say anything. And of course I'm not saying they're all saints there. Is there loads of assholes, criminals and other scum as well? Sure there is, just like anywhere else. But really, just ask anyone who's been there, Mexicans are, for the most part, a very friendly and happy people. I think it's the Sun. :cool2:

Holy shit! Just previewed this post! Frick it's long! Had no idea, but I guess, like I said, I've just been dealing with all this kind of Crap from the media and those who believe for a long time now. For those who actually made it all the way through this novel of a rant, thanks for your patience.

And for anyone who's thinking of going to Mexico but have been put off by all the reports of violence, please do not be! You are denying yourself a wonderful trip to one of the most beautiful, peaceful, and SAFE places to go in all the world. I do want to state that the vast majority of my time in Mexico was spent in the Riveria Maya (Caucun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel) but I have lived and traveled in other areas as well.

If anyone has any questions about Mexico, please feel free to ask me, here or in a PM and I'll be happy to help. And NO, I Do Not have any remaining connection with the tourism industry there, financial or otherwise. (and I never worked for the government or anything like that). I'm just a dude who lived and loved in Mexico for a long ass time and so know a lot about it. And still love, love, love it!

Peace

J

PS And of course, it goes without saying, that when visiting Mexico, or Anywhere else for that matter, even downtown Toronto, exercise due caution. Don't make stupid or careless choices, look both ways before you cross the road and follow the local laws. DO check advisory reports etc etc. But just try and make sure you make a Full, informed decision, instead of just relying on an ever increasingly biased and agenda based standard media. All the best to ya and Happy Trails! :)
  • had a couple friends go down for their honeymoon last year. i can find out the specific location if you want. they survived.
  • Buddy have mine has been talking about going to Mexico alot.

I'm remain firm it is not happening.. think i've convinced him to go to Tokyo instead.
  • Macke wrote: »
    Buddy have mine has been .

Flight # 420?
  • Forbes' Think Mexico Is Safe For Spring Break?
    Anyone thinking of heading to Mexico, for business or pleasure, needs to be well aware that anyone could become an intentional or unintentional victim, at almost any time. “No part of the country, whether a trafficking route or not, has been immune to the effects of organized crime,” says Stratfor, the intelligence consultancy, in a report released today.

“There is a misconception that cartels want to avoid interfering with the profitable tourism industry, or that they only target Mexican citizen,” says Stratfor. “This simply is not true.”

Indeed, many hotels and resorts, says Stratfor, are firmly in the grasp of the cartel groups, which rely on them for the laundering of drug cash.
    :o OK, since my kid won't ever go anywhere near Mexico, where's a wifi-friendly country for March Break? DisneyWorld is not until November, and Bahamas/PCA is next year with pokerJAH & Mr. Shaved Balls.
  • LEave your iPAds at home if you choose Cuba. Unless they have changed in the last few years there is no WiFi at the hotels, but you can use their computers (say hi to Fidel's boys on the monitoring desk).