30 Day music challenge

2»

Comments

• JohnnieH wrote: »
    Day 19: A song that you know all the words to

I know the words to sooo many actual songs . . . one that actually suits my 3/4 octave range would be "Live Wire" off the Power Age album by AC/DC. Bon Scott is perhaps second only to Freddie Mercury as a front man . . .
    Day 20: A song that has really good lyrics

Pick ANYTHING written by Steve Harris of Iron Maiden.

Up the Irons . . .

by the by, am I the only one who is still doing this?

Day 21: A song that is a really good instrumental

Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield.
    Day 22: A song that has a really good “instrumental” solo (i.e. guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, etc.)
    Day 23: A song you find beautiful

22. No debate. Voodoo Chile by Jimi

23. Nessun Dorma. Luciano Pavarotti at his best. I have no idea what he is singing, but the power in his voice, and the emotional crescendo of the piece always has me tearing up, wishing I could understand Italian.
  • FML I'm behind on this. OK here I go!

Day 08: A song that describes you:

Paradise by the Dashboard Light by Meatloaf. I always tease the wife that song is our theme song aka Boy wants to get in Girls pants, but she demands a lifelong commitment. Boy agrees, then "waits for End of Time/So I can end my time with you"

YouTube - ‪Meat Loaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light‬‏

Day 09: A song you like to dance to:

OK Blue Jays:

YouTube - ‪Ok Blue Jays Song w/ Lyrics‬‏

Baseball. Beers. Blue Jays. Do I need to explain more?

Day 10: A song that you can play on an instrument:

Enter Sandman by Metallica. 1st song I could play all the way through, including the solo

YouTube - ‪Metallica - Enter Sandman Music Video‬‏

Day 11: A song that you wish you could play:

Gonna cheat here. My pick is One By Metallica, but I can play 75% of the song until the solo. Everything else after that is impossible to me and I've been trying for years to learn it all!

YouTube - ‪Metallica - One (Video)‬‏

Day 12: A song that makes you happy

It Falls Apart by Odds. I love this band, and this track from their second album always brightens my mood

YouTube - ‪Odds-It Falls Apart‬‏

Day 13: A song that you find powerful:

Power of Love by Huey Lewis & The News. Also could have been my childhood song, as this song gives me a lot of emotion and power. Seriously

EDIT: Can't find a decent video :(

Day 14: A song that reminds you of someone or a group of people:

Lovers in a Dangerous Time by Bare Naked Ladies: Always takes me back to the days of hanging out in my friends basement in Grade 9.

YouTube - ‪Barenaked Ladies- Lovers in a Dangerous Time (ships & dip 3)‬‏
    Day 24: A song you find especially good for particular reason (explain reason)
    Day 25: A song that got you into a new genre of music

24. Hit the Lights by. Metallica.

Until I heard this song, most "speed" metal (or w/e term you want to use) bands seemed more concerned with playing loud and fast, rather than playing well. It all changed with Metallica. Yeah Motorhead was there, too, but Metallica had better writing chops. And it just got better from here (well, at least until Re-load).

25. As much as I hate to admit it, Garth Brooks got me back into Country music. Not because of his own tunes, but because of his cover of the KISS song Hard Luck Woman, which I had always thought could be a C&W tune. Garth proved me right, and I started to explore a new "old fave".
  • Day 15: A song that makes of you think of a place:

Raise Your Glass by Pink. Heard this song EVERYWHERE in Las Vegas. Brings happy memories.

YouTube - ‪P!nk - Raise Your Glass‬‏

Day 16: A song that reminds you of a certain event:

Rock N' Roll All Night by KISS. I fucking loath KISS, but on my way to my 1st concert (GnR, Hamilton 1993) we kept singing the chorus over and over. If you're looking for a video link, too bad.

Day 17: A song you find calming (perhaps fall asleep to)

Music uplifts me, so I don't listen to music to fall asleep.

Day 18: A song that makes you laugh

See My Vest by Mr. Burns from The Simpsons. Grizzle Bear underwear FTW!

YouTube - ‪See My Vest‬‏

Day 19: A song that you know all the words to:

I know a bunch of course, but I have a hard time remembering lyrics without the music. Let's say O Canada. Here's a version without the lyrics. Sing along!

YouTube - ‪Big Sugar : Oh Canada‬‏

Day 20: A song that has really good lyrics

Walk this Way by Aersosmith. Such dirty lyrics. Brilliant! YouTube - ‪Aerosmith - Walk This Way‬‏

Day 21: A song that is a really good instrumental (no vocals)

You probably thought I would pick one of Metallicas' instrumentals, but Surfin' with the Alien is my favourite.

YouTube - ‪Joe Satriani - Surfing With the Alien‬‏

Day 22: A song that has a really good “instrumental” solo (i.e. guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, etc.)

Estranged by Guns N' Roses. Slash's guitar work in this song is probably his most underrated. So full of emotion. It fits the song perfectly. It's so good, Axel actually thanks Slash in the liner notes of Use Your Illusion II.

YouTube - ‪Guns N' Roses - Estranged‬‏
  • Day 23: A song you find beautiful

Dreams by Van Halen. VH is dead to me as Eddie/Alex are the biggest assholes in the industry, by this song from 5150 is really beautiful.

Again, no videos for artists I hate. Too bad.

Day 24: A song you find especially good for particular reason (explain reason)

Their best song ever, and maybe one of best of all time IMO. It's their Stairway to Heaven. This song could been my #22 also, as the final guitar solo is amazing.

YouTube - ‪Guns N' Roses - November Rain‬‏

Day 25: A song that got you into a new genre of music

See my comments about Metallca :D
  • I KNEW you were picking Satriani on #21 . . . definitely not your average Joe.
  • Day 25: A song that got you into a new genre of music:

March of the Pigs by Nine Inch Nails

Before NIN I was a Hard Rock/Metal guy only, but they opened my eyes to other forms of heavy music.

YouTube - ‪Nine Inch Nails - March Of The Pigs (Unclean Live)‬‏

Day 26: A song from a band/artist you got into in the year

Not sure if this is a typo that should read "this" year, but that is how I will answer. For some reason, maybe it is my daughter, P!nk is an artist that I find intriguing.
    Day 27: A song by a band/artist that sounded really good live

Follow Your Heart by Triumph. Saw them live at Maple Leaf Gardens on their Thunder Seven tour. Sound system was PERFECT. Every little bit of tremolo and high hat was crystal clear. Other than Rush, I have never heard ANY band sound so clear at the Gardens, and that runs to some 2-3 dozen shows.

Day 28: A song by a band/artist that did NOT sound good live

Pick anythiing by Ozzy. I have seen him three times, and every time the sound quality sucked balls.

Day 29: A song that you did not like at first

Roll with the Changes by REO Speedwagon. Never understood what my brother saw in this band. Started getting into writing, and thus paid more attention to the lyrics of songs. This one *clicked* for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGgLPriZUSA
    Day 30: A song that has had an influence on your life

Somebody's Out There by Triumph.

My wife had given me back her engagement ring, after getting cold feet during the planning stages of our wedding. I had really started to question if I wanted to be patient, and let her realize what she would be giving up (sorry, not trying to brag), or if I just wanted to take advantage of another option. This song helped me make a long term +ev decision, rather than a short term one. We've been married almost 17 years.

Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
    Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life.