Kitchener NL Hold'em May 14th 3:30PM

13»

Comments

• Take the first 40 e-mail money transfers, if they cancel less than 24 hours there is no refund? I may play ball over there that weekend and play poker after wards. Great combination and of course some brews.!
  • Dave

As you would have seen I have not signed up for your last few tourneys, just far to busy to get out. I do make teh journey from Burlington and it is always worth the drive. I have had mixed results at your place to say the least with a 3rd and a 40th!

May I suggest you fill your tourney up with your regulars/mates who you know, and then on the Monday before the tourney POST ON THE FORUM to take the remaining spots. If its the forum that lets you down, then the forum loses out.

Good luck with it, and dont think to hard on it mate.

You run a good show, so this wont be a lasting problem

Bradley
  • HotRod004 wrote: »
    Take the first 40 e-mail money transfers, if they cancel less than 24 hours there is no refund? I may play ball over there that weekend and play poker after wards. Great combination and of course some brews.!

Too compicated, I think home game players want quick and easy. I hope you do come out sometime.
  • Dave

As you would have seen I have not signed up for your last few tourneys, just far to busy to get out. I do make teh journey from Burlington and it is always worth the drive. I have had mixed results at your place to say the least with a 3rd and a 40th!

May I suggest you fill your tourney up with your regulars/mates who you know, and then on the Monday before the tourney POST ON THE FORUM to take the remaining spots. If its the forum that lets you down, then the forum loses out.

Good luck with it, and dont think to hard on it mate.

You run a good show, so this wont be a lasting problem

Bradley

Thanks Bradley, it was mainly a Forum problem but now that the tournaments have gotten so popular, it has spread. I also think a lot of the cancellations are the +1's, that people sign up.

What I think I am going to do is send out the emails and post in the Forum two weeks before, like I always do. I will ask that people don't sign up until they are 100% sure that they are playing. Then I will give players till the Tuesday before to cancel without any penalty. Everybody will get one freebie to cancel after that because I realize that emergencies do come up. When they cancel the second time, (or don't show up) they will no longer be able to reserve a spot until 24 hours before the start of the tournament. I will keep the cancellation list going for the last ten tournaments only.

If you are willing to sign up your buddies, it is your responsibility that they come. If you don't want to take the chance on them cancelling, they can either join the Forum or send me an email and sign up on their own. If you would like my email address, pm me and I will get it to you.

Tentatives will no longer be allowed. Let me know when you are 100% sure you are in.

Hopefully this will stop the early mass sign up and late cancellations. I only get 40 players every game anyways, so there should never be a problem getting in, even if you sign up the day of the tournament.

Feedback is welcome, so let me know what you think.
  • Sounds like a good system
  • I'm certainly cool with it... And you are being a lot more generous and understanding than I would be...
  • Buzzzardd wrote: »
    If you don't want to take the chance on them cancelling, they can either join the Forum

that is no guarantee Dave. I had a tourney scheduled and a forum member (who was new-ish at the time I admit) had a couple of his buddies register an account here on the forum so that they could play too. The 2 guys each have one post registered to them (the tourney sign up request) and their last known activity was on that day of Sept 2010.

All 3 were no shows.
  • My .02c:

Part of the problem may be that the games are always posted a couple weeks in advance. People always jump to sign up then don't let you know if they can't make it.

Since you always have the date of the next coming tournament up at your place, I don't think there is a need to start a thread here more than a week in advance.
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    that is no guarantee Dave. I had a tourney scheduled and a forum member (who was new-ish at the time I admit) had a couple of his buddies register an account here on the forum so that they could play too. The 2 guys each have one post registered to them (the tourney sign up request) and their last known activity was on that day of Sept 2010.

All 3 were no shows.

Newbies that are no shows won't be getting a second chance.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    My .02c:

Part of the problem may be that the games are always posted a couple weeks in advance. People always jump to sign up then don't let you know if they can't make it.

Since you always have the date of the next coming tournament up at your place, I don't think there is a need to start a thread here more than a week in advance.

I will try posting only one week in advance and see if that helps. My tournaments are always listed on the Forum calendar a few months in advance for anyone who would like to know.
  • Buzzzardd wrote: »
    Newbies that are no shows won't be getting a second chance.

I do exactly the same thing for my games. I'm also very sceptical of noobies that have been a no show for other CPF tournaments.
    Buzzzardd wrote: »
    I will try posting only one week in advance and see if that helps. My tournaments are always listed on the Forum calendar a few months in advance for anyone who would like to know.

I think it will. After a couple of weeks people forget and/or make other plans.

Clearly everyone isn't as anal as me and puts the new tournament date in their calendar upon arrival to your place :D
  • johnnieh wrote: »
    clearly no one is as anal as me and puts the new tournament date in their calendar upon arrival to your place :d

fyp... :)
  • there is no good solution for this problem. i think that signing up and seeing the wait list discourages players from signing up on last minute players who want to go. I am the same as other players who sign up and cancel when I cannot make it. I certainly enjoy coming to your game. I certainly understand on wanting to be organized and prepared when players come in to play. I finally gave up on trying to figure out how many players will come out. my policy has been first come first served. some players who know that they will be late, ask other players to buy them in. I have 50 seats to fill every friday. the past season i averaged 50 with a high of 63 and a low of 42. my suggestion would be to try the first come, first served policy.
  • Nitro, most of the regs know that if you're top 10 on the wait list you are almost guaranteed a spot at the table.

Dave, your solution seems simple and easy to apply. What could possibly go wrong?
  • there is no good solution for this problem. i think that signing up and seeing the wait list discourages players from signing up on last minute players who want to go. I am the same as other players who sign up and cancel when I cannot make it. I certainly enjoy coming to your game. I certainly understand on wanting to be organized and prepared when players come in to play. I finally gave up on trying to figure out how many players will come out. my policy has been first come first served. some players who know that they will be late, ask other players to buy them in. I have 50 seats to fill every friday. the past season i averaged 50 with a high of 63 and a low of 42. my suggestion would be to try the first come, first served policy.

A lot of really valid points here Al. If I didn't get so many players from out of town, I wouldn't bother to keep a list and would use the first come first serve system. But I would feel bad if one of these guys drove down here and never got in. I am hoping that people will only sign up when they are committed, so I won't be having the wait list anymore. And I am thinking you might be right that there is no solution to this problem. We shall see.