Kitchener NL Hold'em May 14th 3:30PM

Comments

• Wow, was #10 on the waitlist yesterday! What happened?

Not sure if I'm going to make it, busy packing for next weeks move. If I can get a bunch done so my wife won't kill me I'll be there. 50/50 at this point, will confirm later.
  • Sorry bud, was thinking the same thing. My bad!

Rod
  • Hey, I am still hoping to be there but I have a customer waiting on a table with a Detroit Red Wings logo embroidered into the cloth. My embroiderer is working on it right now and I am stuck waiting for her to call me and let me know that its done so I can pick it up and finish the table tomorrow. Long story short if I have not heard from her by the time your game starts I will have to pass. If possible I may drop by later if it is still possible to get in with a reduced stack or something. Anyway if I'm not there I apologize and will come in the future for sure. Good Luck to all.
  • Hey, I am still hoping to be there but I have a customer waiting on a table with a Detroit Red Wings logo embroidered into the cloth. My embroiderer is working on it right now and I am stuck waiting for her to call me and let me know that its done so I can pick it up and finish the table tomorrow. Long story short if I have not heard from her by the time your game starts I will have to pass. If possible I may drop by later if it is still possible to get in with a reduced stack or something. Anyway if I'm not there I apologize and will come in the future for sure. Good Luck to all.

She should have called a couple of days ago then :D
  • wait list please
  • Sorry we are unable to make it out today.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    She should have called a couple of days ago then :D

Ideally it would have been nice to get this table done while the Red Wings were still playing....lol. Happy customers are, generally speaking, more fun to work with. I'm not too sure how fragile he is right now. I'm sure once he sees his table he will forget all about the disappointment.
  • Wait list is now gone and two maybes. I am surprised with the crappy weather, that there have been this many cancellations. Maybe I'm not the only one who golfed today.:)
  • Chances are now 0/100. Sorry, someone else will have to play the role of bubble +1 boy today.
  • Sorry for the late notice, I won't be able to make it.
  • Yeah, I can't make it either.
  • Coach put me in...

P.S. Is it too late? lol
  • ram_siva1 wrote: »
    Coach put me in...

P.S. Is it too late? lol

You should have came for the cash game Ram.
  • Thanks Dave for the great hosting as usual. Sorry about the three no shows from Milton. I am investigating the situation. Even with only 29 players the tournament was a lot of fun, especially AA holding vs KK:)
    I wasn't going to play the cash game but it was short handed and I was talked into it, Glad I did as I bought in for $60. and cashed out $180... unusual for me. Thanks again.
  • Great tourni..thanks Dave!
  • Dave, I am sorry that I did not make it yesterday but even more sorry I didn't call or e-mail that I could not make it. I was holding out hope my wife would be home from shopping in time.

I always enjoy your tournament and will not do that again.
  • HPT #31 has come and gone and we have had another first time winner. Steve B. survived a long final table to take the title. He was a short stack all day and had the least chips when the final table started. He patiently waited and blinded down, then pushed all in and tripled up. He doubled up against compuease when his smaller pocket pair hit a flopped set, then used that momentum in his push for the win.

woog30, who has been the most successful player here, was runner up. He was denied in his quest for championship number four.

Unbelievably, Rick H. had his worst finish in three events, with a third place finish. He has now chopped for first, finished second and finished third.

As of Friday, we had 50 players entered in this event. Due to the normal amount of cancellations and a record seven no shows, we only had 29 players. All of the no shows were players that signed up on the Forum. I am not sure if there is any way to solve this problem but I am giving it some thought. If anybody has any ideas, let me know. For me, this is the most frustrating thing about running these tournaments.

For the first time ever, we had no newbies in the tournament.

HPT #32 is scheduled for Saturday June 11th at 3:30pm. The tournament will be posted approximately two week before and please do not sign up unless you are 100% sure you will be attending. I hope to see four full tables for this one.

Unofficial Results

29. Lori
    28. Nayr_Eh
    27. Carsey
    26. JohnnieH
    25. BigBob
    24. Kaye
    23. estar
    22. Zarbuck
    21. r3m1x
    20. Muddguts
    19. Steve V.
    18. Harry S.
    17. sstar
    16. Troy
    15. Athenaios
    14. Lee
    13. Robert F.
    12. moose
    11. The Aux
    10. Pete D.
    9. Shopsy
    8. David F.
    7. flash05
    6. damanj16 ($110)
    5. compuease ($140)
    4. Buzzzardd ($190)
    3. Rick H. ($260)
    2. woog30 ($380)
    1. Steve B. ($660)
  • Hey Dave I"ll pick up my cushion the next time I play a tournament

Thanks
  • Buzzzardd wrote: »
    As of Friday, we had 50 players entered in this event. Due to the normal amount of cancellations and a record seven no shows, we only had 29 players. All of the no shows were players that signed up on the Forum. I am not sure if there is any way to solve this problem but I am giving it some thought. If anybody has any ideas, let me know. For me, this is the most frustrating thing about running these tournaments.

Dave, your tournament is the best one around now as far as I know of so don't despair, most of us regs support you 100% in whatever steps you take.
    How about no-shows have to either pay a "deposit" for their next couple of tournaments to ensure showing up. This either could be done by paying yourself or a trusted regular in their area. I know I am embarrased by the fact that three of the noshows are Rocks and am taking steps to remedy. I still don't know the reason but will find out.

Even all the late cancellations, ie within the last couple of days are an issue. Not sure if you have some of the same ppl cancelling last minute or not but for frequent offenders it's just showing disrespect.
  • Shopsy2 wrote: »
    Hey Dave I"ll pick up my cushion the next time I play a tournament

Thanks

No problem Shopsy.
  • My suggestion.

Anyone who attended the previous tournament is guaranteed a spot in the next and no-shows get bumped.

I know I was shocked to see the tourney be full with a waitlist so fast and could have easily found something else to do, sitting at #8 on the list only two days before. Luckily no other plans came up and I got in but I wasn't showing if I was still on the waitlist and I know Wetts didn't come just because there was a list and he didn't want to drive from Brampton and not get in.
  • Hey Dave,

Thanks for hosting, Lori and I always enjoy playing, we know a little about the pains of trying to host, so we appreciate all your efforts!!! I also enjoy sitting talking strategy or when we are trying to out play each other as we both are a little competitive.

Congrats Steve on the win, you seemed to pick your spots very well the whole final. Hope you don't mind me speaking about hand when we were heads up that nobody else seen. Blinds were 2000/4000/400, I limped from SB, Steve raised 10k more, I call with K7 suited hearts. Flop came 652 with 2 spades, check,check, turn is 5 spades and Steve checks, I sense weakness and fire 15k and Steve called. I therefore think a possible flush draw, so as long as no spade or paint I can fire the river. River is a 4 no spade, Steve checks so I fire 22k, he pauses for an extended time and then calls, I say King high and he doesn't say anything so I roll over, he then shows K8 and the 8 plays to win the hand. I thought I had a good feel for how he was playing, obviously he had a better feel for how I was playing. 1/3 of the total chips in play in the tournament were in this pot and we both have K high. This hand certainly through me off, Congrats Steve on the Win.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Dave, your tournament is the best one around now as far as I know of so don't despair, most of us regs support you 100% in whatever steps you take.
    How about no-shows have to either pay a "deposit" for their next couple of tournaments to ensure showing up. This either could be done by paying yourself or a trusted regular in their area. I know I am embarrased by the fact that three of the noshows are Rocks and am taking steps to remedy. I still don't know the reason but will find out.

Even all the late cancellations, ie within the last couple of days are an issue. Not sure if you have some of the same ppl cancelling last minute or not but for frequent offenders it's just showing disrespect.

I am going to go through all of my tournaments and see if it is always the same players who are cancelling or if there is some kind of pattern. I realize that sometimes things come up and plans have to change, but every tourney, 33% of the field cancels. I don't want to make it difficult for people to sign up, so I don't want to collect any money in advance.

Maybe to put a stop to it, I will take reservations from the majority of the people as soon as the tournament thread has been posted and emailed. Those with a history of cancelling or not showing up, will not be able to sign up until 48 hours in advance.

I will do some more research and come up with something. I have solved the problem with players showing up late and I am sure I will find something to get this other problem under control. Please keep your suggestions on this matter coming.
  • moose wrote: »
    My suggestion.

Anyone who attended the previous tournament is guaranteed a spot in the next and no-shows get bumped.

I know I was shocked to see the tourney be full with a waitlist so fast and could have easily found something else to do, sitting at #8 on the list only two days before. Luckily no other plans came up and I got in but I wasn't showing if I was still on the waitlist and I know Wetts didn't come just because there was a list and he didn't want to drive from Brampton and not get in.

You are right moose, a lot of the people who didn't show up were originally on the wait list and only moved into the tournament on Friday or Saturday morning when there were all the cancellations. For the last while, the tournament has been full within 24 hours of posting. I know players are signing up right away, even though they have no idea if they can make it or not. They will sign up and then if nothing else comes up, will play. If something else comes up they will cancel.

I do like the guaranteed spot idea for players from the last tournament. And also a guaranteed spot for any regulars that maybe missed the last tournament. I am sure this will be part of the new solution.
    I know Wetts didn't come just because there was a list and he didn't want to drive from Brampton and not get in.

Just a reminder that everyone on the waiting list that shows up will get eventually get in. By popular consent, that rule was changed a few tournaments ago.
  • I did a final tally of cancellations and no shows for this tournament and we ended up with 29 people who played and 27, who at one time said they were going to play, and didn't. That is sick.

I can't really go back farther then that because I don't save my emails after the tournaments are done.

For the players on the Forum it is getting much worse.

HPT 31-18
    HPT 30-13
    HPT 29-8
    HPT 28-6
    HPT 27-6
    HPT 26-4
    HPT 25-5

Ideas are welcome.
  • Maybe run a league format and give points for those who show up...those points can be used to buys chips at a final game?
  • Honestly I think the simple solution is to take entries one week in advance and that's it. That should eliminate the vast majority of the cancellations.
    Honestly I think the simple solution is to take entries one week in advance and that's it. That should eliminate the vast majority of the cancellations.

I was thinking along these lines also, except for some reason a large percentage of the cancellations come on the day before and day of the tournament.

I think I might put out a reminder two weeks in advance, but only post the tournament thread and take entrants one week before. I`ll give this a try in June.
  • Athenaios wrote: »
    Maybe run a league format and give points for those who show up...those points can be used to buys chips at a final game?

I am more interested in running games on a stand alone basis. There is never a guarantee that there will a tourney every month and I find you get less participation in a league type format. As soon as players have a bad start, they stop coming out.