I blame......

2»

Comments

• You can use google, but tell me something I don't know or couldn't find out with a quick search.^-^ And I'm not so sure you are correct on Edmonton... Post your sources.

http://threehundredeight.blogspot.com/2010/06/nhl-gate-revenues.html
  • TOP 10 Earning Teams.

Toronto Maple Leafs.
    Chicago Black Hawks
    Detroit Red Wings
    Montreal Canadiens
    New York Rangers
    Boston Bruins
    Vancouver Canucks
    Calgary Flames
    Ottawa Senators
    Los Angeles Kings. Yes LA 3rd Highest ticket prices and expensive food

Teams that are in REAL TROUBLE
    Phoenix Coyotes BANKRUPT. Bettman still looking fo owner to keep team in Glendale.

New York Islanders Desperately need a new arena to stay

Florida Panthers Bleeding Cash can barely make Minimum Cap

Atlanta Thrashers Loosing 20 mil per season . Looking for new ownership to keep the team in Atlanta.

Edmonton Oilers. need a new arena and are loosing some money.

Lower to Middle class

Tampa Bay Lightening could not make their payroll 1 yr ago. March
    needed to make the playoffs this year .

New Jersey Devils poor season and the fact they signed Ilya Kovalchuk to a cap crippling contract have put them in some hot water,

St Louis Blues.
    Carolina Hurricanes etc

Welcome to Gary Bettmans New NHL.
    Yotes should move back to Winnipeg and once again become the Jets
    A new arena and large supporting fan base.
    Bettman dragging his heels trying to find another Gazzilionaire who loves to lose millions to take over this team.

Thrashers: Looking for a group to buy this team and keep them in Atlanta. They have made no money.

Not going to get into every team I know about. I think it's a shame that Bettmens hate for Jim Balsillie (RIM) has prevented him from buying a team and locating them to a viable place.
    Hamilton would be a great hockey town and would fully support an NHL franchise.
    I had been to Les Collisee in Quebec City. They needed a new arena to keep their team. Gov't would not fund it. BYE BYE, off to Colorado and a Stanley Cup.
    Point being here is Hockey does not work in Cities were Bettman has been trying for years. Phoenix, Atlanta, Did not work the first time with the Flames
    Not with the Braves, Falcons and Hawks competing for the sports dollars.
    Nashville is getting better. I must admit that,
    Carolina needs consistant play off revenue. This is the only time they sell out.
    I could write for hours on this subject but our baseball league draft is tonight.
  • Again no sources.... Are you trying to say you have inside sources?
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    TOP 10 Earning Teams.

Toronto Maple Leafs.
    Chicago Black Hawks
    Detroit Red Wings
    Montreal Canadiens
    New York Rangers
    Boston Bruins
    Vancouver Canucks
    Calgary Flames
    Ottawa Senators
    Los Angeles Kings. Yes LA 3rd Highest ticket prices and expensive food

Teams that are in REAL TROUBLE
    Phoenix Coyotes BANKRUPT. Bettman still looking fo owner to keep team in Glendale.

New York Islanders Desperately need a new arena to stay

Florida Panthers Bleeding Cash can barely make Minimum Cap

Atlanta Thrashers Loosing 20 mil per season . Looking for new ownership to keep the team in Atlanta.

Edmonton Oilers. need a new arena and are loosing some money.

Lower to Middle class

Tampa Bay Lightening could not make their payroll 1 yr ago. March
    needed to make the playoffs this year .

New Jersey Devils poor season and the fact they signed Ilya Kovalchuk to a cap crippling contract have put them in some hot water,

St Louis Blues.
    Carolina Hurricanes etc

Welcome to Gary Bettmans New NHL.
    Yotes should move back to Winnipeg and once again become the Jets
    A new arena and large supporting fan base.
    Bettman dragging his heels trying to find another Gazzilionaire who loves to lose millions to take over this team.

Thrashers: Looking for a group to buy this team and keep them in Atlanta. They have made no money.

Not going to get into every team I know about. I think it's a shame that Bettmens hate for Jim Balsillie (RIM) has prevented him from buying a team and locating them to a viable place.
    Hamilton would be a great hockey town and would fully support an NHL franchise.
    I had been to Les Collisee in Quebec City. They needed a new arena to keep their team. Gov't would not fund it. BYE BYE, off to Colorado and a Stanley Cup.
    Point being here is Hockey does not work in Cities were Bettman has been trying for years. Phoenix, Atlanta, Did not work the first time with the Flames
    Not with the Braves, Falcons and Hawks competing for the sports dollars.
    Nashville is getting better. I must admit that,
    Carolina needs consistant play off revenue. This is the only time they sell out.
    I could write for hours on this subject but our baseball league draft is tonight.

I seem to remember that the NHL board of governors voted to keep Balsillie from buying the team. Get the feeling they're afraid of having an Al Davis in the league.
    Additionally, I would think Bettman's moves such as salary caps have helped the islanders, oilers, blues, and devils. I totally agree that bettman has made some poor choices w/ regards to expansion. They also should simply fold the yotes. There are too many teams for the leafs to have a shot:D.
  • Salary caps can be a good thing depending on the structure. There are no negative impacts to teams from the ceiling on the cap in the NHL. The major issue that needs to be addressed is the floor on said cap. Why would the League agree to a minimum? That was stupid, and is part of the reason that teams in bad markets struggle. That includes future locations like Winnipeg, too, by the way . . .
  • I think small market Canadian teams can survive as long as the Loonie stays high compared to the Yankee greenback.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    I think small market Canadian teams can survive as long as the Loonie stays high compared to the Yankee greenback.

This. Once the Loonie drops below $0.75 USD, there will be financial issues . . .
  • compuease wrote: »
    Again no sources.... Are you trying to say you have inside sources?

I gather you do not watch The Hot Stove during the HNIC broadcasts on Saturday nights. They have only been talking about this for the last 3 years.

Also every once in a while pick up an issue of THE HOCKEY NEWS. I read it most of the time.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Salary caps can be a good thing depending on the structure. There are no negative impacts to teams from the ceiling on the cap in the NHL. The major issue that needs to be addressed is the floor on said cap. Why would the League agree to a minimum? That was stupid, and is part of the reason that teams in bad markets struggle. That includes future locations like Winnipeg, too, by the way . . .

The salary cap was set to help the poverty crying owners who could not keep up with the Leagues big guns. There is a Minimum. Not sure but this year it was around the mid 40 million mark.
    It has changed the playing field quite drastically. Chicago for instance will not be the same team in the next 2 or 3 years. They have a great team but 3/4 of their salary would have to be invested in their top line and goalie. Min these 5
    Kane-Sharp-Toews-Seabrook-Kieth and Crawford is going to top 45 mil easily.
    In order to stay at or under the Max 3 of these players will end up in other Jersey's . Basically the cap prevents teams from building teams that are capable of winning 3 or 4 Stanley Cups and that's why I said the days of the dynasty are gone.
    Silliness as far as I am concerned. The Leafs have been paying 1 mil of Darcy Tucker's salary since he was shipped to Colorado. That goes towards their salary cap.
    The leagues top teams (EARNERS) are all contributing to the welfare fund.
    I think it is 5 mil each and 17% of last years salaries were held by the league, (this is in the CBA) to go toward that fund also.

Winnipeg needed the larger arena continue. You have to remember they moved long before the Salary Cap. They also have around 15000 fans on the list for season's tickets. They should not have a problem going back.
    Quebec is the same story but they need a new arena.
  • Waddya mean Gionta did nothing? He got 5 points in 7 games including 2 game winners. Even Gomez got 4 assists.

Chara and Lucic combined only managed 3 measly assists.

Mtl didn't lose because of Gionta or Gomez. The series was so even that it took a couple of lucky bounces to go Boston's way that finally decided it, especially considering three ot's went to the Bruins.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    Winnipeg needed the larger arena continue. You have to remember they moved long before the Salary Cap. They also have around 15000 fans on the list for season's tickets. They should not have a problem going back.
    Quebec is the same story but they need a new arena.

The cap minimum IS what is going to hurt teams in all the small markets, precisely because it sets out a bottom below which they cannot go. And that is why it is going to hurt Winnipeg and Quebec City, should the NHL go back. Yes, they will draw fans better than most US cities, but the $CAD will not stay at these levels forever and, when it drops, so too will the small market's ability to compete. Remember, Canadian teams earn in $CAD, but they pay out in $USD.