Poker Tourney @ York U Sun 23rd

Hi all,

If you are interested in hearing about other events like this, please go to
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/yorkpoker/
and join us there and all the details are on the events calander, including directions and a map.

Summary here though -

Please note, this event is for low-med skilled players only. We are arranging
tournaments more appropriate to higher levels of play soon.

Location: we are going to meet in the bethune dining hall at 4:00 PM
$25 buy in w/ $10 or $20 rebuys for the first 90 minutes.
$25 gets you 1000 chips. $20 rebuy gets the same.
A final reload is offered at the 90 min mark - $10 or $20.
No rake is taken.
We have arranged a food and drink discount at a student pub.
Payout will be calculated when all rebuys are in.
Blinds are 25-50 to start and go up 25 every 45 minutes.
Once the blinds are 100-200, they double every 45 mins.

We are officially capping this event at 80 people. This means that if
you are inclined to come out, you must email us first
(yorkpoker@yahoo.com) to confirm registration.

We are not particularily interested in emails saying, "hey, I am coming
and I will maybe bring 3 friends". we would like full name and
somewhere to contact you if things change. If you mention to friends
(and that would definitely be appreciated) have them email us at:
yorkpoker@yahoo.com to confirm themselves too. If we don't reach 80,
then no problem. We repeat - CONFIRM via email!!!

We are going to meet in the dining room at Bethune at or before 4pm.
Note the early start, as we are not interested in being dead tired
Monday morning, as we suspect most of you are as well. Games during
and after the tourney can go until whenever, but we want to wrap up
the event before midnight.

We have opened up chapters at each of the universities in Toronto -
we probably move onto several other schools in Ontario when we are
smooth here.

Cheers,
The poker club @ york

Comments

• has anyone else from the forum RSVP for this event?
  • If you have 80 players and your rebuy period is 90 minutes and your blinds go up that slow, your tournament will not finish at midnight.

I run a 90 players tournament on a regular basis and my blinds are aggressive and it still takes 6-7 hours. By the sounds of your structure, it sounds like your tournament will take a lot longer than that.

If you need some help with your structure, email me.
  • I was wondering how will you do the payout structure? How will the rebuys be collected, will there be a non participating member sorting this out?
  • where is this bethune dining hall? can someone point it out on this map

http://www.yorku.ca/web/futurestudents/map/KeeleMasterMap.pdf
  • VladK wrote:
    where is this bethune dining hall? can someone point it out on this map

http://www.yorku.ca/web/futurestudents/map/KeeleMasterMap.pdf

building 14 just go down the stairs and it connects to Bethune D-Hall.
  • How about TTCing it from Kennedy Station? Obviously more cost effective than a cab. Unless someone is from around i could ride with. Id take care of gas.
  • Hi, let me answer the questions-

If anyone needs directions, please msg me and I will send you personalized ones.

Azim, I appreciate the help - I will email you.

As for turnout, so far we have 35 or so RSVPs (a bunch fom this list from what I can gather) and will likely fill up before the week's end.

I sort out the buy ins and rebuys and I don't play in my events. Too much to do. That and the football game's going to distract me anyhow.

Payout will likely be top 8, although depending on rebuys, we might pay the top 10 (at least, we have in the past).

We hope many more people from the forum come out and play. It is a fun event. It is for med skilled people at best though. I mean, if you are a tourney pro, definitely come out, but it will be a little too easy to take the people's $$$ and I am sure you are in it for the competition, right?

:)
  • This is a student focused event - nothing big like woodbridge or OPC or anything that I have been reading about.

No big spread (food), no dealers and no pro tables. That's how we do it w/o raking anything.

If this is not what you were expecting, please let us know and we can take you off the list. However, there is still plenty of action and fun to be had.

Just wanted to be clear.
  • So is there a TV in the dining hall? I wouldn;t mind playing and watchin! Also, are you a student @ York or a a professor or just some guy using york cause its close lol?
  • yeah...a TV would be sweet. Good games on this sunday.
  • Is it building #14 or #11? I read on the yahoo group that it was building 11 the Norman Bethune building in the basement. Can someone clear it up please.
  • im a clown wrote:
    Is it building #14 or #11? I read on the yahoo group that it was building 11 the Norman Bethune building in the basement. Can someone clear it up please.

It is building 11 but 14 will get you there the same, both dining halls are connected in the basement.
  • I just got my confirmation for this event. Did any one else get it? He told me that he currently has 65 players, so if you haven't emailed him and want to play, your time is running out.
  • :smile: Oh and thank you Acesup for the heads up on the building numbers (#11 and#14).
  • whats the age limit on this? like how old do you have to be to go in these tournys?
  • yeah he confirmed me, but i have no idea how many players there are
  • i'm not familiar with the campus. can someone give me directions coming from 400/steeles....heading east.

thx
  • I sent a confirmation email coming from Kennedy Station, Hope I made it in on time!
  • Some one posted a link earlier. It is http://www.yorku.ca/web/futurestude...leMasterMap.pdf
    It is in building 11 in the dining hall. The dining hall is in the basement.
  • They will probably get 80 players...and i was wondering about the age limit too. It wont be a problem for me...i'm 23 but i was just wondering...
  • this link didnt work?
  • Copy the link in the title and paste it in your address bar.
  • Should i bring my ipod and listen to it like a pro? hehe
  • Only if you whine non stop about bad players, holding bad cards, making bad bets beating you . And say "Whats going on here" alot.
  • Alrighty.

82 confirmed, location and preparations are all set.

For the record, there is no age limit on this - we have people from 18-40 playing. You need not be a member of the particular school at which the event is held (there will be downtown events soon for U of T and Ryerson).

I will be setting up other games for older people (not students) who might want to play a $50 game or so (instead of the $25 kind we run on campuses) but that is all in the works now.

I think this will be a great event and there will be MANY more to come.

Thanks for the interest all.

Cheers.
    N
  • Good job with this tourney...it was run pretty good i thought.

My cards were really bad but i still had fun.......

what time did you guys finish and what were the final pay outs?
  • Payouts had 1st getting 1350 and 2nd getting high 900s down to 8 230 ish.

I had a good game.
    Built oringal 1000 ($25 buyin) to 2400 before I lost with QQ to A8 on 8xx flop. REBUY
    Lost with T7 (on BB) on AT7 flop, checkraise allin, other person had AT. REBUY
    Build stack up to 1700 before break, addon to 2700. Built it steadily with steals, as players were moocho passive. Then got outflopped with QQ to Asian Girl (she looked alright) with 66 on a JT6 flop, leaving me CRIPPLED with 400 left and decided to call someones massive raise with 78 (one bb bet, i was getting 3.5 to 1 to call)

Game was run well, as the players were just as I liked them :)
  • the game ended at about 1:15ish, or so, i was their to the end cheering on my buddy who came in second on a crazy hand, had poket queens, and the other guy had ace nine of hearts and a queen came on the turn for trips and the other guy rivered a heart for the full house and the win, it was a great experience and i hope to play with you guys again