Headphones - Any Recommendations?

Every serious poker player needs a good set of headphones to make it through the endless hours of variance. The craze these days seems to be Dr. Dre Monster Beat headphones. You probably see a couple pairs at any local poker room. Not really convinced they are worth the $$$. Anyone own a pair? Are they really that fantastic?

Ideally I like to spend around $200 but if I can get away with less, that is good. Really need them mainly for listening to music. If I need to spend a bit more to get superior sound, then I am open to it. Just not sure if its really more marketing than sound quality when you get into $300+ for headphones.

This is a model I am considering:

Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD555 Professional Headphones with Sound Channeling: Electronics

One other thing, does the noise reduction actually work? Are the Bose headphones any good?

Thoughts?

Comments

• I've read those are good headphones. I picked up the beats studio myself and they are great. I know Wetts likes his Bose QCs. Whichever headphones you choose should also depend on the music you listen to. Beats tend to be better for hip hop / electronica where I'd want the music to pound and not necessarily crystal clear vocals. Noise reduction definately works, especially on flights. Have a pair of sony noise cancelling buds that worked like a charm. I could faintly hear the baby crying with them on, when I turned it off that baby was loud.
  • Can't say I've tried Beats, but some people swear by them. They have 2 strikes from me right off the bat: closed, and leather(ish?) pads. I don't like closed headphones, they make me feel semi-claustrophobic (although I've never had a problem with claustrophobia in my life). Also, the leather-type pads in general make my ears really hot.

I have a pair of HD595s, along with 2 of my friends, and another has a pair of HD650s. They're great for the price, but you can hear the step up in quality when you listen to better headphones with an amp. I like that the bass is definitely there but not overpowering.

For what I listen to and what I like, the only fault I can put on them is that they aren't as good as more expensive models.

Headphones - Head-Fi.org Community
    Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range - Head-Fi.org Community
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Ideally I like to spend around $200 but if I can get away with less, that is good. Really need them mainly for listening to music. If I need to spend a bit more to get superior sound, then I am open to it. Just not sure if its really more marketing than sound quality when you get into $300+ for headphones.

Regarding the marketing vs. quality comment, I don't think it holds much water (and not to pick on Beats, but I think they'd be the closest to being overpriced because of marketing - but again, I can't comment on the quality). Sennheiser, Grado, Audio Technica etc. don't really advertise at all. The more expensive models are in fact better, and you can hear it.

How much is it worth to you though? That's a subjective question, and going to be different for everyone. I can hear the difference, but is it worth $800 to me? I can't answer that for you.

I'd say try out what you can in a store, and you'll have to decide what characteristics you like/dislike on your own. The 555s/595s are, imo, a good starting point. Good quality, high-ish price but not outrageous.

There's a forum on the website I linked in my above post for buying/selling headphones, if you want to save a few bucks. My friend with the 650s bought them from a guy on there, most people there are friendly and will supply pics and full disclosure of defects, chipped paint, rips etc.
  • http://www.pokerforum.ca/f8/headphones-23603/index2.html

^Wetts says that the beats are the nutz. We all know he is right close to 101% of the time. :D

This was a thread I started when I was looking for a set of headphones. In the end I hit a bit of a downswing at the time, and I ended up settling for a cheaper pair of headphones. Ended up going with Shure SRH440s. They may not be the greatest sounding phones out there, and they definitely did not compare to the Bose/Beats. However I couldn't justify spending a few hundo extra at the time.

They are comfortable, and they actually cancel out noise since they sit fairly tight. When I am at work, sometimes I throw them on without the cord even plugged in, and it dulls a lot of the backround noise out.
  • fwiw I agree the Beats are definitely overpriced, would not have picked them up if not for the boxing day sale.

Those sleeks look awesome. If it is truly lossless audio then those are the pair to wait for. Like any headphones biggest pain is always the wire.
  • reibs wrote: »
    http://www.pokerforum.ca/f8/headphones-23603/index2.html

^Wetts says that the beats are the nuts

Yea this. Had them for awhile before my wife got me the QC15s for Xmas this year.

For actual sound quality, the BBD are by far the best.

The QCs are far better at noise cancellation.

Equal comfort for both.
  • I guess most of these Monster Beats advertised on Kijiji at $150 (new) are fakes:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-BRAND-NEW-MONSTER-BEATS-by-DR-DRE-STUDIO-HEADPHONES-IPHONE-IPAD-W0QQAdIdZ262792090

Seems too good to be true. Are there any audio shops in the GTA that will let you listen to various headphones before you purchase? Don't think this is an option at Future Shop, Best Buy, etc.
  • The big audio stores downtown do and futureshop / bestbuy allow you to return in 15 days used
  • Not a big fan of the Beats by Dr. Dre headphones for the price - you can get similar quality for a bit of a lower price, and I've had friends who owned a couple of pairs that had to get sent in within a month (albeit small sample size)

I don't have headphones on at the table, but traveling (locally/flying) I currently have a pair of Shure in-ear that I love and have used for about 4 years now with no issues. Have had a pair of QCs in the past as well and they're awesome and noise cancellation. Unfortunately I somehow left them at the Bellagio 2 summers ago and haven't shelled out the cash for a new pair since.
  • The more expensive models are in fact better, and you can hear it.

And its not close.

The difference between an "expensive" $100 Sony noise cancelling (my first buy) and the "real expensive" QC15s is astronomical.

My suggestion: If youre serious, do it right the first time, because youre going to do it eventually anyway.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    I guess most of these Monster Beats advertised on Kijiji at $150 (new) are fakes:

Toronto (GTA) new & used electronics for sale - Free Toronto (GTA) Classifieds at Kijiji

Seems too good to be true. Are there any audio shops in the GTA that will let you listen to various headphones before you purchase? Don't think this is an option at Future Shop, Best Buy, etc.

My guess is they're counterfeit, or stolen. Bay Bloor Radio has a great setup for trying out different models. Good selection of everything from the "cheap" ($150) to top of the line ($1600). If the music they have for demoing isn't what you'll be listening to, ask nicely and see if they'll let you demo with a cd you just happened to bring along with you.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Not a big fan of the Beats by Dr. Dre headphones for the price - you can get similar quality for a bit of a lower price,

this is my thinking and what I am looking for. I will have to pay a visit to Bay/Bloor to check out some models. Seems like ordering from the US is the way to go. Prices are a huge difference (almost 1/2 the price of Cda).
  • I was running some errands and there was a Futureshop nearby, so I stopped in to see what they had in the way of headphones. Tried out the Beats and QC15s they had on display.

Beats - nicer than I thought they'd be, but can't comment on the sound quality. The stuff they had playing wasn't what I'd be listening to, would've liked to hear some actual music instead of the advertisements with soft rock thrown in sporadically. Couldn't hear any bass at all, although that's most likely just the source.

QC15s - fucking WOW. Very impressive. That is some amazing noise cancellation. I can see these being the ultimate for people who travel a lot or want/need noise cancellation. Bass was good, but again a short trial.
  • made it up to Bloor Bay Radio yesterday. They don't have any of the Monster products but had a nice selection of Denon, Senn., and Bose for you to try out (hopefully I didn't pick up some strange ear infection). I ended up deciding on the Bose On Ear headphones. To me they were the most comfortable and best sounding. Don't really like the over ear headphones after trying on a few pairs. For the money, I think the Bose On Ear are a better choice than the Monster Beat Solos which seem to break pretty easy. Bay Bloor has the Bose on at $199 compared to $269 at Future Shop so I think its an easy choice for me. Highly recommend this store if you want to sample a lot of different headphones. They also have an ipod station for you to use. Thanks for all the assistance.

Bose OE Audio Headphones - Bose Headsets and Headphones
  • Bose QC's ftw
  • You guys are dead on with the beats being poor value. Correct me if Im wrong, but they are made by Monster, a company famous for their ripoff home theatre cable prices. The dre sponsorship/advertisement is built into the price, and with an established audio brand you get years of R&D built into the price.

This is true to an extent with Bose headphones as well, but having tried many models they are hard to 'beat' for noise cancellation and comfort :D. I would never want to take a flight without mine, still going strong and sounding great 5 years after purchase - following a long connecting flight from Toronto I splurged on a pair in the Denver airport. Another plus with Bose is you know the company isnt going anywhere, which gives peace of mind for repairs and replacement.

For my next headphone purchase I'd like to try Etymotic custom fit earbuds

Etymotic Research, Inc. - High-fidelity Earphones, Headsets and Hearing Instrumentation
    Etymotic Research, Inc. - CUSTOM-FIT - Custom ear molds for earphones and headsets
  • I'm leery of Bose products since their speakers are the kind audiophiles make fun of.

Are their headphones good? ... really?
  • I did tonnes of research on speakers this summer. I'd always wanted the little Bose twisties to get rid of the bookshelves.

Found out that Bose stands for "Buy Other Stereo Equipment", which broke my heart. Have no clue about their headphones.
  • 'If I knew then what I know now' I probably would have spent that $ on another audio brand. Even with the realization I didnt get the best bang for my buck with bose, I would never complain. They have endured tons of abuse over a 5 year period and are still super comfy. They have cancelled enough hours of jet engine noise and annoying table talk to have been worth every penny.

I think the first question is earbuds vs over the ear headphones, and the second is value vs spoiling yourself.

It has been my experience that everything < $50 falls apart far too easily. Going for value/longevity I like the Klipsch image S5i rugged all weather earbuds in the apple store @ $139 , but Im going to spoil myself with a custom fit pair.

For value headphones, Sennheiser HD280s regularly < $100 on Amazon. Sometimes you can get lucky and get last years model for cheap when new products are unveiled. To spoil yourself, the skys the limit

EDITED: I was browsing amazon a bit and saw 'Sennheiser RS120 926 MHz Wireless RF Headphones with Charging Cradle' for $60 ... a more current model RS170 is $170. I might get a pair for myself and my dad for xmas
  • These are awesome....... Have had them for ovr a year now and they are unreal.

Shure SE535 review -- Engadget
  • I'm looking for an in the ear headphone that will block out the noise while I'm on the subway/car/motorcycle that has a mic and control for the iphone4.

What should I get?

I'm considering the Klipsch Image X10i
  • i have Solo HD Beats by Dre. Best headsets I ever owned. You're looking to spend 219.99 for them though.
  • They're headphones . . . not renaissance masters. Of course, I stopped listening to music with any regularity in the early 90's.
  • Milo wrote: »
    They're headphones . . . not renaissance masters.

Maybe not, but they're the museums in which the renaissance masters are presented.
  • WP, sir . . .

snark, and re-snark . . . I like it.
  • I didn't mean to be snarky, but it's just like buying a really nice tv vs a pos. If you really enjoy watching movies, you probably want to spend more on one with great picture, contrast etc. Similarly, if you really enjoy listening to music, you probably want to spend more on headphones. Just as you can see the difference between an HDTV and SD, you can hear the difference between run-of-the-mill earbuds and a quality set of headphones. You can hear things on your favourite albums that you never knew were there before. Admittedly, this doesn't justify the cost for everyone.

Fake edit: the same could be said for chips: they're just chips, but the more expensive ones are so much nicer. :D
  • Well said hang!
  • I'm looking for an in the ear headphone that will block out the noise while I'm on the subway/car/motorcycle that has a mic and control for the iphone4.

What should I get?

I'm considering the Klipsch Image X10i

I use these as my buds, work great

Sony Noise Cancelling Earbud Headphones (MDRNC33B) : Noise-Cancelling Headphones - Future Shop

Buy 1 get 1 free at futureshop this weekend.

Last time they had this sale bought a pair of Sennheiser wireless headphones R170s for the house, so sweet.