Options

missed jury duty

13»

Comments

• They sent you a letter saying you have jury duty right? What would happen if you just ignored them and didn't show up?

Probably nothing in the short term. There would be a warrant issued for failure to appear and, if you got pulled over by the cops for speeding, or whatever, it would show and you'd get popped. Not a huge deal unless they decide to make an example of you for ignoring your civic duty.
  • Ignoring a jury summons is punishable by fines – which vary from $25 to $2,000 – and in some instances, jail time. Some judges in Quebec and Ontario sent warrants and ordered people to appear before the court to explain their absence. A Florida judge summoned 246 people who didn't show up for jury duty to his courtroom and made them recite the Pledge of Allegiance before giving them a stern lecture on civic responsibility.
    They sent you a letter saying you have jury duty right? What would happen if you just ignored them and didn't show up?
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Ignoring a jury summons is punishable by fines – which vary from $25 to $2,000 – and in some instances, jail time. Some judges in Quebec and Ontario sent warrants and ordered people to appear before the court to explain their absence. A Florida judge summoned 246 people who didn't show up for jury duty to his courtroom and made them recite the Pledge of Allegiance before giving them a stern lecture on civic responsibility.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, as I have put precisely NO thought into this, but why are there no voluntary jurors? I can think of several retired, or semi-retired, upstanding citizens who would happily volunteer to serve once a year (or other reasonable interval) and greatly reduce the necessary evil of imposing on people like Bill.
  • Because the system requires a jury of one's peers. Grampa Gus, and the folks down at the Home, do not qualify. At least, not en masse.

It is also why Mark will never come to trial for anything, as his lawyer will be forced to argue that he HAS no "peers".
  • reminded me of this old school Burr clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDQst7EtCZE
  • 37:10

Bill Burr You People are all the Same 2012 (Standup Show) - YouTube

Officially the hardest I've ever laughed at domestic violence, but I do have Ray Rice on my Fantasy Football bench, so I've paid my karmic dues
  • Today's LOL moment . . . I was last summoned in 2011. Guess the clock ticked over an my name came up again. just one problem. I was told back then that, due to my medical issues, I would be granted a permanent deferral from pool selection. Apparently someone lied. Either that or I just need to waste another day to go through it all again.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Today's LOL moment . . . I was last summoned in 2011. Guess the clock ticked over an my name came up again. just one problem. I was told back then that, due to my medical issues, I would be granted a permanent deferral from pool selection. Apparently someone lied. Either that or I just need to waste another day to go through it all again.

I got the impression when I went through it that "excluded", meant for that trial alone. Also of a big whopping surprise to all potential jurors involved was the fact that the trial was scheduled to start the next day. I couldn't believe that part when I heard it.

Good luck Sir.
  • Meh . . . have always wanted to be on a jury. Who knows, my health has been pretty good as far as the colitis goes . . . maybe I'll get lucky.

Either that, or I'll point them to this site . . . my posting history here is sure to have one side of the legal system asking questions.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Either that, or I'll point them to this site . . . my posting history here is sure to have one side of the legal system asking questions.
    Or both...>:D
  • That's the same impression I got when I fulfilled my jury duty. Almost all excuses were rejected by the various judges, and the rare ones that were excused that week were told to come back in a few months or that they would be put back in the jury pool so they'll get another chance to do their civic duty.
    I got the impression when I went through it that "excluded", meant for that trial alone.
  • Thought this was relevant to the thread:

Pay jurors more: Jennifer Pan lawyer, judge say - Toronto - CBC News
    Defence lawyer Paul Cooper, who represented Pan, called for a mistrial in the case in which his client was found guilty of first-degree murder and attempted murder, claiming concerns about the high number of young and self-employed people who asked to be excused from jury duty citing financial hardship.

In his application for a mistrial, Cooper calculated almost 30 per cent of potential jurors dropped out because they said they couldn't afford to serve.

More than 2,100 jurors had to be summoned, the judge noted, to get the final 12 in the Pan case.
  • I just got summoned for a 20 day trial? Is it just me, or is that rediculously long? What are the odds I'll make the cut?

Can I show my chat bans to get it quashed?
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    I just got summoned for a 20 day trial? Is it just me, or is that rediculously long? What are the odds I'll make the cut?

bring your phone or tablet and play poker in the court room. any time they ask you a question just yell at them and say you're in the middle of an important hand.
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    I just got summoned for a 20 day trial? Is it just me, or is that rediculously long? What are the odds I'll make the cut?

In before T8 makes a final table during jury duty

Reenact some of the chat bans and you can probably get out of jury duty, might come with some other unwanted attention though...
  • 20 days must be an incredibly complicated trial. Get the wifi pwd from one of the Sheriffs. They get shipped around, so they might not know it, but will know who will.

Your chat bans will not help. It would be funny to be playing online while waiting though. Expect lots of waiting. Lots of it. Hope it works out.
  • forgot to update......got a letter stating my services would no longer be needed

guess we'll never know how the rungood is there