Wiki-Leaks / Assange

So, is Julian Assange a modern day Ellsberg, or the biggest threat to the world since the Rosenbergs? Saint or sinner? Hero, or self-aggrandizing douche-nozzle?

gogogogo . . .

Comments

• Hard to say without knowing ALL the facts. It seems like the dude may be somewhat of a douche but he hasn't done anything illegal yet. The majority of the info that has been leaked was not top secret or even initially deemed sensetive by the government and yet it is humiliating now that is has been revealed.
    I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I do find it a fairly odd coincidence that the person most hated by the majority Western politican's suddenly has some serious legal accusations leveled his way. Unless my info is incorrect, He gets accused of rape by two different women in Sweden during a short period of time after a never having an incident remotely this grave his entire life. Just sayin'.
    I would not call him a hero or anything that noble but I have to admit that I'm loving watching many officials try and squirm their way out of reports that were lacking of any real substance and were nothing but bitchy and petty. Good times... good times.
  • Saint - love all the gossipy bits, especially about the Arab street. Saudis like Israel better than Iran? LOL

Sinner - the Swedish charges, although it is somewhat mistranslated as "rape". I have seen it described elsewhere as unprotected sex (ie he did not tell them he was not using a condom).

Saint - information is power. The more the ordinary citizen knows, the better. Some of these leaks actually make our governments look good.

Sinner - in certain instances the leaks have placed real people in jeopardy, possibly of their lives

Sinner - you do not defend criminal charges against you by threatening to release damaging information (ie let me go or I will reveal some super-secret info. you do not want getting out).

I hope Assange goes through the legal process, with whatever result that brings. I also hope he is not extradited to the US, because that would be total BS. LEt the US gov't prosecute the guy they ahve in custody who sent all that info to Wiki-leaks in the first place. Or, let them put the NY Times on the stand right next to Assange.
  • Pretty good summation here . . .

There is no 'right to know'
  • the man was on interpol for this with a world wide man hunt: the sex was consensual, there was a condom used....i read that he is being accused of breaking it open on purpose. the charge were thrown out months ago by a female sex crimes head or something. the 2nd girl said she just went to the cops to support the first. they both pursued him, one fooled around with him in a theatre, other brought him back to her flat....

something like that the police report is online i believe.....the initial one....
  • Shtebs wrote: »
    he hasn't done anything illegal yet.

there is a different type of law out there and a different type of court system with a different type of jail.......he broke their laws.....and the states already labeled him a terrorist therefore he's punishable by hanging or torture in Guantanamo. He has no haven in any country, and the US will take him if they choose.

at this point they have frozen his known assets and are likely raiding his homes, and bunker searching for forensic evidence as to where his servers and such are....multiple searches in multiple countries as we speak, multiple arrests.....
  • Milo wrote: »
    So, is Julian Assange a modern day Ellsberg, or the biggest threat to the world since the Rosenbergs? Saint or sinner? Hero, or self-aggrandizing douche-nozzle?

gogogogo . . .

i don't think he's our saviour but i think he's our only valid defense....i believe we are in trouble.

i also wonder if this really caught him by surprise he says he has files that will auto leak if anything happens to him.....no doubt he set a powerful bomb in place before he turned himself over, the most brilliant minds in the world don't just give in without a plan....

no doubt the biggest weapon he has is that the US doesn't know what he has......either way though he maybe have the info to start www3, he may have 9/11 proof....

also like to comment on the power of one small idea....an anonymous drop box...Milo im sure you agree the world needs an anonymous drop box the posts the messages to the world for all to read.....that sir is the beginning to real democracy
  • err . . . no it isn't. It is the beginning of every wing nut with a half baked conspiracy theory thinking he is a journalist, which is where are heading anyway. Read the Jonas piece I linked earlier.

The criminals are the people passing the stuff to Wiki-Leaks. Assange is only liable to charge if he knowingly publishes material in contravention of a particular Nations laws. And then, only if he can be extradited to that country.

As for any "super-secret", devastating material he may have squirrelled away, I doubt it. That is what I find most execrable about him and his site. If you want to be a jounalist, fine. but a journalist publishes what he/she knows to be fact. A journalist does not hold back information and say, "I'll hold onto this if you let me slide on these charges, otherwise I'll publish it all." That is extortion.

As has been said, most of what has leaked is gossip, with a few items classified "secret" thrown in. To let you know how truly mundane even that stuff is, I had a "secret" clearance when I was in the Reserves. IT may sound cool, but it doesn't mean much.

If this is the best he's got, then I predict that five years from now, Assange will be a question on Jeopardy. The overreaction by the US gov't is exactly what he wants.
    Read the Jonas piece I linked earlier.
    from what i got from the piece is the author believes the government should be able to spy on us but we are not allowed to know that they are doing it. nor should we be able to spy on them. Although the laws favour the people, wikileaks suggests that some people act above law.
    Milo wrote: »
    The criminals are the people passing the stuff to Wiki-Leaks. Assange is only liable to charge if he knowingly publishes material in contravention of a particular Nations laws. And then, only if he can be extradited to that country.

K I think what you're saying here is if he does something and its against the law in any country, he is to be shipped to that country and tried under their system.

As for any "super-secret", devastating material he may have squirrelled away, I doubt it. That is what I find most execrable about him and his site. If you want to be a jounalist, fine. but a journalist publishes what he/she knows to be fact. A journalist does not hold back information and say, "I'll hold onto this if you let me slide on these charges, otherwise I'll publish it all." That is extortion.

i hope your doubt is justified, your lack of faith in government intelligence ability gives hope. And he is not the journalist, he has a journalists team that explains the leak and posts the explanation with the evidence....they spend time sourcing it and time the release so people don't get killed over it
    If this is the best he's got, then I predict that five years from now, Assange will be a question on Jeopardy. The overreaction by the US gov't is exactly what he wants.

i agree its what he wants i don't agree he will fade to a jeopardy question that fast. the American government could never foresee this kinda of threat, they now know they can't keep up with the internet and brilliant minds....

I believe the man is a genius and is inherently good, he my have been a pig with the ladies but i doubt that anyways, besides personal life is personal life.....but government is to be public...... side note Assange leaked Palins email account but she was using it to hide government stuff....
  • No, Jonas is saying there is no inherent "Right to know", only a right to "find out". If we all have an unfettered "Right to know", then there is no "Right to privacy". Jonas is saying that your Right to tell me to piss off trumps my "Right to know" if you enjoy gay prOn.

Not quite. If he breaks a law in country "A", and is in custody in country "B", country "A" can request extradition. It is then up to country "B" to decide, usually based on treaty agreements, etc. England has extradition treaties with the USA, but may decide that Assange's "crimes" do not meet the standard for extradition. IMO, Canada was wrong to extradite Emery.

Doubt his people spend much time sourcing stuff. As for endangering people, the Yemeni National who was helping US forces locate and destroy terrorist camps may disagree, if he still has his head.

Assange is not a "threat" per se. He is more like the drunk Uncle at the family dinner who starts spouting off about "the Joos and the N*****s" . . . he's annoying, and makes things uncomfortable for a while, but that is about it.

And government is to be held to account. It is not meant to be wide open in all it's aspects. It could not functuion properly if that were the case.
    It could not functuion properly if that were the case.

there's got to be a better way
  • Video: Julian Assange to be questioned by UK police, says lawyer | Media | guardian.co.uk

Aussie Pm, says he obviously broke American law, and they are searching to find Auzzie laws he broke....
  • darbday wrote: »
    there's got to be a better way

When you discover it, let the rest of us know, okay? :)

Seriously, it's like the Saudis and their unspoken agreements with the Israelis re: mutual enemies. The Saudis cannot be seen to be cooperating with Israel. But, if someone "happens" to turn off Saudi air defence radar as Israeli warplanes are heading into Saudi airspace on their way to knock out Iraq's nuclear reactor, well accidents happen don't they? And, if someone today were to suggest the same thing today viz. Iran, well qu'elle surprise. But they cannot acknowledge same, regardless of whether it is good for the region or not.
    When you discover it, let the rest of us know, okay? :)

this is easy, i just was pretending....

de-militarize canada....

also we have to fully admit that government the way it is can only be corrupt....and as citizens we have to admit there is no democracy....we are given a choice but not taught how to use it, its a false sense

lastly we need to teach true intelligence not content such as history or math, but how to learn it, how to question it, .

True intelligence becomes debatable but the debate is far better than what we have now.

oh and we need to legalize marijuana it is crucial which is why I believe the states wanted emery so bad and why the Canadian government is making the laws harsher.

de-militarize canada....

also we have to fully admit that government the way it is can only be corrupt....and as citizens we have to admit there is no democracy....we are given a choice but not taught how to use it, its a false sense

lastly we need to teach true intelligence not content such as history or math, but how to learn it, how to question it, .

True intelligence becomes debatable but the debate is far better than what we have now.

oh and we need to legalize marijuana it is crucial which is why I believe the states wanted emery so bad and why the Canadian government is making the laws harsher.

So true intelligence, true democracy and legalizing maijuana are all kinda lumped together? lol...
  • compuease wrote: »
    So true intelligence, true democracy and legalizing maijuana are all kinda lumped together? lol...

marc emery
    marc emery

Naivety...... Oh to be so....
    Naivety...... Oh to be so....

which part

de-militarize canada....

So, you are an idiot. Thanks for clearing that up . . .
    which part

both...
    So, you are an idiot. Thanks for clearing that up . . .

dont' mind the post but more interested in the debate. The only reason we have militaries is because we (the world) have militaries, the only reason we fight war is to stop war.
    both...

minimum mandatory sentences have been shown to increase drug crime. Did we vote these in, that would be stupid on our part, either ours our theirs its stupidity. I'd like to think the people are smarter than to vote in laws the create crime....therefore I'm suggesting its likely that we don't actually have any control over our own laws.

i don't quite know what your saying but are you suggesting MJ should be illegal?
  • So, you're against stopping/preventing war?

The military exists, primarily, to kill people and break things. They do so at the direct command of our government (us), in order to protect our National interests. They also go abroad to promote the keeping of international treaties (peacekeeping), and to monitor same. Thirdly, our military acts in a rapid deployment capacity to relieve suffering caused by natural disaster in some of the poorest nations on this planet.

This is what you would do away with? I'll say it again, you're an idiot. And a horribly naive one, too.
    dont' mind the post but more interested in the debate. The only reason we have militaries is because we (the world) have militaries, the only reason we fight war is to stop war.

Circular arguments are not debate, they are mental masturbation. Stop it or you'll go blind.
    minimum mandatory sentences have been shown to increase drug crime. Did we vote these in, that would be stupid on our part, either ours our theirs its stupidity. I'd like to think the people are smarter than to vote in laws the create crime....therefore I'm suggesting its likely that we don't actually have any control over our own laws.

i don't quite know what your saying but are you suggesting MJ should be illegal?

See bolded. Short answer is "yes". We, after all, elected the politicians who brought forth said legislation. We can vote in governments that would repeal them if we chose to do so.
  • Now lets get back on topic shall we? LOL.
    So, you're against stopping/preventing war?

I didn't understand this but are you suggesting war can stop war....

The military exists, primarily, to kill people and break things.

They do so at the direct command of our government (us),

in order to protect our National interests.

They also go abroad to promote the keeping of international treaties (peacekeeping), and to monitor same.

Thirdly, our military acts in a rapid deployment capacity to relieve suffering caused by natural disaster in some of the poorest nations on this planet.

This is what you would do away with? I'll say it again, you're an idiot. And a horribly naive one, too.

I would like to do away with number 1.

I don't believe 'we' are the government at all but that a difference of opinion no need to debate we are clear on that difference

Shouldn't we (this makes truthers uncofortable) switch to only having global interests see ourselves as a whole, not that all parts are 'good' but we are all of the same origin. The national lines are false and create us vs. them....really we are all 'us'. the distinction is the cause of war.

Peacekeeping seems to be mild war like activity or aggressive peace....i don't know much about it, glad to hear about it from a military perspective though.

I would like to keep the last one, but don't think it needs to be a military to keep it going.
    Circular arguments are not debate, they are mental masturbation. Stop it or you'll go blind.

well the people I know do not have the knowledge to back up your side and views so its nice to hear valid points that i wouldn't think of
    We can vote in governments that would repeal them if we chose to do so.

this assumes we have intelligence to make a free choice. the choice is there but if we are in fact un-intelligent its not a real choice...

a seperate thread on what real intellectual is would be interesting to me after
    Now lets get back on topic shall we? LOL.

I'm curious, Milo on how breaking a law internationally or on the web pertains to certain national laws around the world, you mentioned it a little but do you know more...i don't know about it....