I think this Guy is in trouble

So I came across this blog.

This guy is trying to pay of $10,000 of credit card debt using online poker.

http://creditcardpayoff.blogspot.com/

If you read the hand from << Friday, January 07, 2005 "Over Played? " >> ...
I think this guy might be in trouble - plus the other entry about not cashing in a $10 SNG so goes and plays a $20 SNG (to recover losses)....does not cash again then plays a $50 SNG!

Oh my. I am worried for this guy.

What do you all think of this? Have you met others that are doing this? (to solely pay off debt)

:confused:

Comments

• his $10,000 credit card debt is probably from playing online poker :p
  • Yeah this guy is in trouble. I love the "I wanted to show him I meant business", huge overbet...yes! This is an excerpt from his $50 SNG that he played in. Perhaps some of you that play at stars should add him to you "buddy list" :)
    After re-reading it, "there's no way I put him on a flush". How can you put him on anything? You didn't bet on the flop! Anyway, love this guy lol.

"Nope I never caught any cards and thinking someone might actually respect a raise from me considering I haven't played a hand in 10 mins so I raise with Q6. SB calls and we see a flop with 2 hearts 9 high. I check and he checks, next card is a Q of hearts, now there is no way I could put him on a flush draw and I wanted to show him I meant business so I go all in. He calls in a second and shows a K high flush and I'm out. So my total losses for today so far."

stp
  • Funny thing about it, he has set up a Donation button link for anybody who wishes to help him out of his debt problem. Original idea...wonder how much I can get donated?

Anyone who would like to donate to STR82ACE's poker fund, please PM me. All donations will be accepted, regardless of size. Receipts supplied only after I win it BIG!!! :tongue:
  • Oh my. I am worried for this guy.

He's your typical, I see poker on TV and it looks like easy money player... What I found more amusing is that he lost to a 7 year old and then attempted to proclaim him the next coming of Chan.
  • I can't read the article (bah firewalls!). But from the thread, It's just a dumb guy experiencing what we all experience at some point. It's the "I can't lose" gambler fallacy.

In fact the Martingale betting system was created using that thought. The problem is that the gambling events are not connected, and one hand doesn't really know that you have lost 20 in a row, and that you really should win this one so the statistics can even out. No, no, each hand/bet is unaware of your personal situation.

It's happened to me after a bad run. I say, man I gotta get to bed. And then I peek at my next hand and it's QQ. Oh why not, I'll give it a spin. Lo and behold a Q on the flop and some idiot willing to get into a raising war, and wait there's actually two idiots playing against me. The turn is a scare card, but screw it, I know I'm due, and this hands a winner. Let's raise it up baby. Cap. The river is another scare card. Let's raise it up, I can't lose. After the third raise, I realize, "I think I might not win this hand, I can't believe it.....the site is rigged.....I'm going to bed."

The good thing is I'm not a complete idiot, and I look for things that I've done wrong, and try and learn. Some of us even post our very worst plays in hopes of burning some permant pathways in our neurons. That's what separates the winning players from this idiot.

Cheers
    Magi
  • Human greed was what finally produced the phrase, "Money is the root of all evil."

If he goes down in flames they'll let him declare bankruptcy anyway, and pop up clean 7 years later. The system is designed to keep you spending your whole life. lol

But someone I know also had another saying that might apply here.
    "Life's hard, but it's harder when you're stupid."

Too bad for the guy, but another quote from a Clint Eastwood movie sums it up,
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

PS, why am I speaking in quotes today? lol
  • DJP wrote:
    But someone I know also had another saying that might apply here.
    "Life's hard, but it's harder when you're stupid."

PS, why am I speaking in quotes today? lol

Because it's funny? Friend of mine has a good quote too. "Only stupid people are trully happy. They're too dumb to know that it's not all good."

This guy may just like his dumb hard life! Hence the perpetual attempts (going up in stakes to make up for past loses makes sense if you're happy and stupid) at making money on poker.

Cheers
    Magi
  • Well at least he has a secure job...his bio says he works for the government :)
  • Well at least he has a secure job...his bio says he works for the government

That's funny, so do I. lol
  • Just read his latest post....he has lost 3 of 4 times with AA and says :

"I am most definately on tilt right now".

He is now down $120.

poor guy :rolleyes:
  • So now it's me against the kid and we are pretty equal in chips. We raise the blinds to 50-100 but it doesn't matter cause there is no blind stealing with this kid

Well he is the second coming of Christ..er Chan right

and he'll put out random raises and there is no possible way to put him on his hand (with the exception of the one time his dad told him to go all in).

Wow it took to of em to outsmart you eh? Feel batter now?

So I just wait and 2 hands in I have K8 the flop comes QQ8 and think the only way I can get him to fold is by going all in so I do. Well he looks at his cards and calls, my heart sinks and I ask him if he has a queen, he nods and turns over J4. hahaha He thought the J was a queen and I go on to win.

See what a loser that 7 year old was... hahaha I beat you jackass... you suck!
    And we wonder why Prozac is a best seller!

Oh man, I wish everyone on party would BLOG, I would never have to smoke a joint again!
  • DJP wrote:
    Human greed was what finally produced the phrase, "Money is the root of all evil."
    Not money, but the 'love of money' is the root of all evil. Repent now or perish in flames.
  • Did you see that? He's flaming me. lol
  • Dam, lol, that is pretty funny. He getting wild like one of my friends. hes on this forum, so if he reads this, you know who you are! lol
  • he seems to understand that playing the 50SnG was a bad idea, so maybe it'll stop him from doing it again

hopefully the blog helps him - or even better, hes at my table and goes on tilt and pays me off
  • BUMP!

Warning! Reading this guy's blog may make you angry...

Apparently the guy won CPT Lethbridge.

Somehow this just reinforces my view that it's not that tough to win a MTT if you're a lucky SOB...
  • :rage:UNREAL :rage:

Unbelievable how damn lucky some people can get.

WHEN WILL IT BE MY TURN?!?!?!? :'(
  • WHEN WILL IT BE MY TURN?!?!?!? :'(

Feb. 18th
  • By the sounds of this guy, he'll soon be right back where he started from.

He's bad and he's gots lots of $$$ and a big head.
    A hunting we will go...a hunting we will go...

:D

Hobbes
  • Yah I know this guy. I thought he was good??

2nd in a Party Step 5 after winning his way up
    Placed top 25 at the last CPT event in calgary
    Won Lethbridge CPT

Sure some of his plays WREAK of sucking. And yah I definitely see the stupidity with the blackjack and the moving up levels to recoup loses. I write this stuff off to simply maturing as a player

But does he suck that bad?
  • But does he suck that bad?

Maybe not. He obviously must be somewhat competant to win a step 5 and the CPT event (albeit getting very lucky in both, which is obviously needed to win a big multi). But from his blog, if I had to make a rough guess, it sounds like he doesn't understand variance and BR requirements, and is often prone to tilt during a bad stretch. It might not be his "game" that's the problem, so much as his approach to the game (if that makes any sense). Good players learn to take the good with the bad (ie. results) and focus on their play. Bad players tend to think they play well when they win money, and when they lose it's bad luck (causing them to tilt and lose even more). I'm not sure this guy "gets" the big poker picture yet... Just my 2 cents, and this is only based on what I've seen from his blog...
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    if I had to make a rough guess, it sounds like he doesn't understand variance and BR requirements, and is often prone to tilt during a bad stretch.  It might not be his "game" that's the problem, so much as his approach to the game (if that makes any sense). 

I laughed myself silly when I read this. This assessment is BANG ON. Those three things I would say are the biggest weaknesses in his game.

But that said everyone has their weaknesses. Dude had a couple big scores now. what's 2nd in a step 5 pay? 5K USD? I think 1st at Lethbridge was 10K. That alone I think should be a proper bankroll for 1/2 NL. No?

I'll be curious to see where his game goes from here. I personally don't think he sucks, but like anyone he has a lot to learn.
  • Some interesting critism from some that have never monied big in a CPT, let alone a MTT. Give the guy some credit. Tell me this. How can you put someone on not understanding variance and BR requirements and beat out hundreds to cash in for 10,000 in live tournament play.

I'd love to hear some finer points to the game from someone whos won a CPT event and 2nd playing a 5step online tourney than from someone who posts their wins at home games and online tourneys.

By the way if you thought that he was really blogging to payoff his credit card playing poker you are one dumb something or other. Have you ever blogged before?
  • shar_pk wrote:
    Tell me this. How can you put someone on not understanding variance and BR requirements and beat out hundreds to cash in for 10,000 in live tournament play.

http://www.chrismoneymaker.com/
  • what's 2nd in a step 5 pay? 5K USD?

If I remember correctly, 1st pays $4500, 2nd pays $2500, 3rd pays $1800, 4th pays $1200.  I am certain about the 1st and 2nd place payouts, and 3rd and 4th are pretty close to what I list them as.... it's been like a month since I've played them.

This is assuming it's a "regular" step 5 with a 1K buy-in.  Mini step 5's are $500 to play and "Step Higher" step 5's are 2K.
  • Hork42 wrote:
    shar_pk wrote:
    Tell me this.  How can you put someone on not understanding variance and BR requirements and beat out hundreds to cash in for 10,000 in live tournament play.

And this is who you take your poker advices from? :D
  • shar_pk wrote:
    Hork42 wrote:
    shar_pk wrote:
    Tell me this. How can you put someone on not understanding variance and BR requirements and beat out hundreds to cash in for 10,000 in live tournament play.

And this is who you take your poker advices from? :D

Ya! I got the book AND the commemorative medallion from Pokerstars.
  • all_aces wrote:
    what's 2nd in a step 5 pay? 5K USD?

If I remember correctly, 1st pays $4500, 2nd pays $2500, 3rd pays $1800, 4th pays $1200.  I am certain about the 1st and 2nd place payouts, and 3rd and 4th are pretty close to what I list them as.... it's been like a month since I've played them.

This is assuming it's a "regular" step 5 with a 1K buy-in.  Mini step 5's are $500 to play and "Step Higher" step 5's are 2K.

I guess it depends on whos hosting right? From what I read he won 5K USD, and I don't doubt it.
  • shar_pk wrote:
    all_aces wrote:
    what's 2nd in a step 5 pay? 5K USD?

I guess it depends on whos hosting right? From what I read he won 5K USD, and I don't doubt it.

If by "who's hosting" you mean which site he's playing a Step tournament on, I believe that only Party Poker has Step tournaments. If it was a "step higher" tournament, then 2nd would probably pay somewhere in the neighbourhood of 5K USD... maybe 4.5 or so.

I'm not trying to say I believe or don't believe whoever said he won 5K by placing 2nd in a step tournament. I've never read this guy's stuff, and probably never will. Just trying to answer a question....
  • prima has rounders = steps, but I'd assume a donk would be playing Party