Private forum tourney?

Just wondering how many people would play a private forum tourney of some sort, and what buyin would be the best to get the most people. I know (I think I know?) that there are already some sort of private PFC tourneys going on from time to time, but I think it'd be cool to do some sort of PFC only satellite to some tourney or something where participants get 1% of the winner or something. Seen it done on other forums, could make for a good sweat too!

Comments

• Online or live?
  • Sorry, online (hence posted in online poker talk, but should've specified)
  • I'd be down.....anything from $10-$50. Most people on here are small stakes, though, so probably $5-$20 would work best to get the most people.

Winner plays a $200 or $500 tourney of choice (prize pool depending of course)......or something to that effect.
  • yup

5-20 is great
  • I would likely play in something like this... Although I would tend to think that numbers would be a problem. In order to make it worthwhile, the entry you win would need to be like a 500 buyin or so. In order to do that, we would need to have like a 25 buyin with 20 people and winner takes all pretty much. I think we would be hard pressed to get 20 on anyday - any stakes.

Maybe with enough notice it is possible though?
  • reibs wrote: »
    I would likely play in something like this... Although I would tend to think that numbers would be a problem. In order to make it worthwhile, the entry you win would need to be like a 500 buyin or so. In order to do that, we would need to have like a 25 buyin with 20 people and winner takes all pretty much. I think we would be hard pressed to get 20 on anyday - any stakes.

id pay more if i had to in order to play with all the top players on this site, and yes easier with a few weeks notice.
  • reibs wrote: »
    I would likely play in something like this... Although I would tend to think that numbers would be a problem. In order to make it worthwhile, the entry you win would need to be like a 500 buyin or so. In order to do that, we would need to have like a 25 buyin with 20 people and winner takes all pretty much. I think we would be hard pressed to get 20 on anyday - any stakes.

I don't think it needs to be a $500 buyin. $200ish should be fine to play a sunday major. Plus I think theres only 2 regulars on here now who regularly play sunday majors so i'm sure winning a sat to play ex) a sunday mil is fine for the majority. Pretty sure Vekked's proposal on this is just for the fun/social aspect, and he's fine with just the sat to the $200 level buyins.
  • agree with AC
  • could set up a weekly "freeroll" that is password protected, then @ the beginning of each week the buyin is determined (5-20) (bypassing fees from the poker rooms)

the "losers" all transfer the agreeed buyin to the winner who in turn uses it to buyin to a larger event. Everyone who took part in that weeks satellite would own a % of the winner. I'd love to get into something like this on a weekly basis. The $55 nightly 70 grand on stars would be a good one to consider starting off with.
  • Old-Sloth wrote: »
    could set up a weekly "freeroll" that is password protected, then @ the beginning of each week the buyin is determined (5-20) (bypassing fees from the poker rooms)

the "losers" all transfer the agreeed buyin to the winner who in turn uses it to buyin to a larger event. Everyone who took part in that weeks satellite would own a % of the winner. I'd love to get into something like this on a weekly basis. The $55 nightly 70 grand on stars would be a good one to consider starting off with.

This is not a bad idea!:)
  • that should be implied when it's something I post :) :cool2:
  • I would be up/down for something like this. Whatever stakes. Preferably Tilt/Stars venue.
  • I personally never come close to 200 buyins, so that would be great for me. Just from the OP past results, I figured he would want to satty into a bigger event... but either way, I am in!
    could set up a weekly "freeroll" that is password protected, then @ the beginning of each week the buyin is determined (5-20) (bypassing fees from the poker rooms)

Setting up a free roll could definitely be good for bypassing site fees, but it could get kinda sticky using this system if we get a decent number of people out.

One benefit to using the sites system and paying the fees though, at least on FTP, is getting to choose all our own options and such. FTP has a really good system for private tourneys as you get to use all the different options, such as adjust blind levels, starting stacks, make it a KO, etc etc which would be cool imo.

I still think that a satty to like the sunday million/warmup or full tilt 750k/brawl would be better for attracting people overall since regardless of someone's buyin level they want to or do play the sunday majors. The nightly 70k has some problems in that it's less desirable to play a satty for for various reasons (not as prestigious in some cases, too low of a buyin in others). Also even playing basically full-time myself I rarely register until 9:30 PM stuff cuz it runs so late. Sunday $200 buy-in tournies are a lot more convenient, and I don't reeeeally think we should have too much trouble mustering up enough people for one with enough notice.

I think we should do a poll or something and see what the best buyin would be for the majority of people and go from there, then see which days/times are best for people.
  • Vekked wrote: »
    Setting up a free roll could definitely be good for bypassing site fees, but it could get kinda sticky using this system if we get a decent number of people out.

seems like best case/worst case scenario, that would be a good problem to have and one we could deal with when/if it surfaces though?
  • I used to be in a group years ago that did this and it was fun. Enabled me to play in the big tourney on Pstars which at that time was I think $150, so we'd usually all have to throw in between 20 and 15 bux depending on the turnout each week. It was a lot of fun and of course the whole group would be railbirding each week. :)
    seems like best case/worst case scenario, that would be a good problem to have and one we could deal with when/if it surfaces though?

Well yes a lot of people would be nice, I'm thinking mostly like... someone plays without actually having enough for the buy-in, or doesn't pay up after for w/e reason, or something. It would only have to happen once to mess things up for future tournaments, but it might not be an issue.
  • Fludlerk wrote: »
    I used to be in a group years ago that did this and it was fun. Enabled me to play in the big tourney on Pstars which at that time was I think $150, so we'd usually all have to throw in between 20 and 15 bux depending on the turnout each week. It was a lot of fun and of course the whole group would be railbirding each week. :)

Exactly!

It works on a number of levels if we get it going properly. Lower stakes players get to take shots and maybe luckbox a big one, but also if they have a small piece of one of the people who play those stakes regularly, they have a better shot of seeing some return on their investment.
  • Fludlerk wrote: »
    I used to be in a group years ago that did this and it was fun. Enabled me to play in the big tourney on Pstars which at that time was I think $150, so we'd usually all have to throw in between 20 and 15 bux depending on the turnout each week. It was a lot of fun and of course the whole group would be railbirding each week. :)

cnpl?
  • what would be the idea for % chop? CNPL used to do 50/50, but maybe something like 60/40

11 players pay $5 ea.
    winner plays $55 tourney on stars/fulltilt
    winner wins $1,650,000 (just arbitrary number)
    Winner keeps $990,000 (60%)
    other remaining 10 players share $660,000 for 66k each.

done and done!
  • Yep, cnpl. Ah, the old days. I think I lost my hat though.
  • meh, I would never play any satellite where I would have to give up 40%. Ideal would be 10-20% IMO.
  • actyper wrote: »
    meh, I would never play any satellite where I would have to give up 40%. Ideal would be 10-20% IMO.

I'd have to agree here, I think 1-2% per entrant is probably enough.

okay, but what does that mean assuming we get to a point where there are 20 entrants? that's why I was thinking in bigger pooled percentages. I for one think 70-30 would be ideal, yeah, you're giving away 30% but....it's giving you opportunities to play in tournaments you wouldn't normally be taking part in. I would think a league arrangement like this wouldn't be targeted to many who are normally buying in to $100 directly themselves already

flud, do you remember what the arragement for cnpl was? i should remember, i started it lol
    okay, but what does that mean assuming we get to a point where there are 20 entrants? that's why I was thinking in bigger pooled percentages. I for one think 70-30 would be ideal, yeah, you're giving away 30% but....it's giving you opportunities to play in tournaments you wouldn't normally be taking part in. I would think a league arrangement like this wouldn't be targeted to many who are normally buying in to $100 directly themselves already

flud, do you remember what the arragement for cnpl was? i should remember, i started it lol

Well that's not true for everyone... I play all of the majors nearly every sunday since I'm a professional tourney player and I'm still interested in doing something like this for the community.

I think ideally we find a happy medium for both the low and highstakes players. The problem with such a big cut (70/30) is that it will inherently be -EV for many of the winning players, let alone the losing ones on the site. Giving away 30% of your money in a tournament means that in order to breakeven your roi has to be ~42%. A lot of people playing won't have that, even the highstakes players. Some people might not care as much, but others who are regulars in the game might not be so happy about it.

Your idea of giving an overall % rather than a certain % per player might be better, especially if we get a lot of people in. There might be another way to do it, I've still got to think about it a bit first to see if it's logical though.
    Well that's not true for everyone... I play all of the majors nearly every sunday since I'm a professional tourney player and I'm still interested in doing something like this for the community.

I think ideally we find a happy medium for both the low and highstakes players. The problem with such a big cut (70/30) is that it will inherently be -EV for many of the winning players, let alone the losing ones on the site. Giving away 30% of your money in a tournament means that in order to breakeven your roi has to be ~42%. A lot of people playing won't have that, even the highstakes players. Some people might not care as much, but others who are regulars in the game might not be so happy about it.

Your idea of giving an overall % rather than a certain % per player might be better, especially if we get a lot of people in. There might be another way to do it, I've still got to think about it a bit first to see if it's logical though.

Admittedly not a tourney player..

Is there no way we could do it % per player upto a max # of players then default to a % for the lump sum to be divided among the group? The most the player participating in the tourney should have to give up should be 20 or 25%.

totally fine with 1-2%....but the others should win more than 66k
  • Max of 20-25 points to give up would be ideal...any more than that and just making the money doesn't become any fun. I know that isn't the goal...but, for many that is a big step in a major...allows them to try again if they have enough left over.
  • I'm in the group that would like to keep the percentage to the field down.....like max at 15-20%....something like 1% per player. If the field wants a bigger percent, win the damn satty.
  • I figured that was you, Sloth. :) Back in the CNPL days we did 50% to the player, 50% to the field. I think the field should be somewhere between 20-40 realistically. I know some people want to keep it very low, but by having a higher percentage to the field you attract more participants and so keep the initial buy in lower. If the field gets too low a cut, you end up with no one wanting to be part of it.

The idea of this is a 'community effort' to take down a big tournament. If it's only about the 'player' getting the huge payday, then enter the public sattys and forget the community idea. For myself, I like the idea of a 'team' feeling, where everyone feels like they can win as a group.