NHL Offseason Thread

Im pretty excited about this weekend.

I think we are going to see some significant movement and I honestly think fwiw that Edmonton and Toronto are going to do quite an overhaul.

Let the rumours begin:

Edmonton trades for Spezza. Some package revolving around Cogliano or Gagner. I think this makes sense for both sides.

Toronto obv. trades Kaberle. But I think his value in Toronto is severely overrated. It would be a steal imo if we could get a Zajac out of NJ or a Weiss package out of Fla.

Toronto makes a ridiculous free agent signing. A la Jason Blake. Something completely unnecessary like a Marleau. I like Burke but I think hes gonna fold to the Toronto pressure and do something hindering.

I think Kovalchuck ends up in LA.

Comments

• IMO, I dont think spezza fits in edmonton...hes a playmaker not a 50 goal scorer. We have a playmaker in Hemsky if he could only stay healthy for a whole season he could probably hit 80 points. If anyone we need a proven sniper.

Right now the oilers have alot of unacheivers, maybe some of them need to go. I'd say look for Souray to be traded and probably a forward or 2.

As for the 1st pick, as a beloved oilers fan I'd like them to take Hall, but I believe Seguin is the better pick for right now as far as all round player. Either way I would say these 2 guys can be franchise players wherever they end up.
  • [/typical Leafs fan/homer/] I say we ship Kaberle to the Pens for Malkin and a first rounder. Malkin obv. wants to step out from behind Crosby and Ovie, and what better way to do that than by taking the Leafs to the Cup?
    Then we ship Giguere to the Canucks for Luongo. He needs a change to reinvigorate his career. If we throw in Kessel we could probably pry the Sedin twins loose, too . . .[/back on the meds, now/]
  • I think the Hall/Seguin thing is alot like the Tavares/Duchene comparisons last year.

Ultimately Oilers take Hall - but I think more because of some social pressuring.

However - Im calling Seguin to be the better all around player, the same way I think Duchene > Tavares.
  • I want to see Carter come to Toronto for Kaberle + (maybe Grabovski or something else?).

I hope they dont sign any of the big ticket UFAs.

Anyone think that Spezza will go to boston for their 1st round pick + some salary players? - not toronto's #2 pick obvi....Boston needs to improve NOW, and lots of draft picks dont do that...
  • reibs wrote: »
    I want to see Carter come to Toronto for Kaberle + (maybe Grabovski or something else?).

I hope they dont sign any of the big ticket UFAs.

Anyone think that Spezza will go to boston for their 1st round pick + some salary players? - not toronto's #2 pick obvi....Boston needs to improve NOW, and lots of draft picks dont do that...

Doubt Carter comes TO for JUST Kaberle they need to throw something else in there.

Also highly doubt Boston will trade the 2nd pick, their gonna be drafting an NHL ready player. That's the luxury of picking 1st 2nd or 3rd.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    I think the Hall/Seguin thing is alot like the Tavares/Duchene comparisons last year.

Ultimately Oilers take Hall - but I think more because of some social pressuring.

However - Im calling Seguin to be the better all around player, the same way I think Duchene > Tavares.

Hall definately is the more flashier hockey player...Seguin is the pick for all around player no doubt. It'll be interesting to see who they do select though, Tambellini has keep his mouth shut pretty well, not to mention Boston pretty much already has said they want Hall.
  • schabs wrote: »
    Doubt Carter comes TO for JUST Kaberle they need to throw something else in there.

Also highly doubt Boston will trade the 2nd pick, their gonna be drafting an NHL ready player. That's the luxury of picking 1st 2nd or 3rd.

re-read post. I said Kaberle + ... meaning more than kaberle. Not sure how the cap issues run down, but I am hoping they can throw in grabo for carter. Im assuming that Philly will want a pick or prospect though...

also, I said not toronto's #2 pick. They have their own mid first rounder and I think they will trade that plus some roster players for spezza

Well I was sorta on the right track...

"Horton was dealt to Boston along with Gregory Campbell for Dennis Wideman and Boston's 15th Overall Pick in the first round."

This was the pick I was talking about that I figured Boston would dump for players to help them now.
  • Milo wrote: »
    [/typical Leafs fan/homer/] I say we ship Kaberle to the Pens for Malkin and a first rounder. Malkin obv. wants to step out from behind Crosby and Ovie, and what better way to do that than by taking the Leafs to the Cup?
    Then we ship Giguere to the Canucks for Luongo. He needs a change to reinvigorate his career. If we throw in Kessel we could probably pry the Sedin twins loose, too . . .[/back on the meds, now/]

Where are you getting that smoke from Milo? lmfao
  • First of all the Leafs don't have much to deal to get a significant player .
    JF jr screwed this team for a long time. Burkie has to stop trading draft picks away and sign 2 or 3 ufa's . Kaberle will be traded and most likely he will go to either The Swamp. or Little LA ( Anaheim )
    P Marleau would actually be a good addition. I can think of a few other players who would be good signings but Mr Bettmans National Bankrupt League and his stupid salary cap will not allow it.
    Defence is decent and goaltending not bad. They need guys who can put the puck in the net.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    Where are you getting that smoke from Milo? lmfao

You listen to Sports radio in T.O. and that is the sort of crap you'll hear . . . DAILY. Nobody overvalues talent like a Leaf diehard does . . .
    You listen to Sports radio in T.O. and that is the sort of crap you'll hear . . . DAILY. Nobody overvalues talent like a Leaf diehard does . . .

Except for a Leaf GM :)
  • Well, Boston isn't wasting time . . . they have dealt their 2nd first round pick (15th overall). So, scotch those earlier thoughts . . .
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    P Marleau would actually be a good addition

donotwant.png
    Well, Boston isn't wasting time . . . they have dealt their 2nd first round pick (15th overall). So, scotch those earlier thoughts . . .

Boston got raped here.

Doubt there are many better D-men in the league than Wideman, and Horton is LOL mediocre. To then include a mid range first rounder is not a good play imo.
    Boston got raped here.

Doubt there are better D-men in the league than Wideman, and Horton is LOL mediocre. To then include a mid range first rounder is not a good play imo.

^this....Also, I have to LOL at the Montreal Canadiens' moves so far this off season.... Just a quick jab at hellmuths mole...
    ^this....Also, I have to LOL at the Montreal Canadiens' moves so far this off season.... Just a quick jab at hellmuths mole...

True, montreal has made the "bonehead of the year" trade already no doubt....I agree with Wettes here Horton is medicore at best, Wideman is a solid top 4 d-man on any team....
  • If you're talking about Halak, my initial reaction is yes. But that is the sort of thing you will see more and more in the "cap" era. Especially when the Cup final was played by two relatively unknown but, above all else, CHEAP goalies.
    If you're talking about Halak, my initial reaction is yes. But that is the sort of thing you will see more and more in the "cap" era. Especially when the Cup final was played by two relatively unknown but, above all else, CHEAP goalies.

My thoughts are, what does this say to all your young players? Play your heart out and carry us to the conference finals, so we can turn around and trade you?

Halak's stock is rising, Price's is falling and has been for two years +. Imagine what will happen when Montreal starts the season 2-8 in the first ten games and all the fans are calling for Price's head again? Then what do you do? Where is Andrew Raycroft?

Glad we have a real GM in Toronto...
    My thoughts are, what does this say to all your young players? Play your heart out and carry us to the conference finals, so we can turn around and trade you?

Halak's stock is rising, Price's is falling and has been for two years +. Imagine what will happen when Montreal starts the season 2-8 in the first ten games and all the fans are calling for Price's head again? Then what do you do? Where is Andrew Raycroft?

Glad we have a real GM in Toronto...

Halak's stock IS rising, which will make his price even higher in a few weeks . . . Price is a servicable goalie who is locked up for a couple more seasons. Montreal gets what they can for Halak, and avoids Cap problems. Even with Halak, they're going nowhere this season, so the move made sense, from a cap perspective. Start the rebuilding NOW in Montreal. It's what I hope Burke finally starts doing here. Sadly, I doubt he will . . .
    Halak's stock IS rising, which will make his price even higher in a few weeks . . . Price is a servicable goalie who is locked up for a couple more seasons. Montreal gets what they can for Halak, and avoids Cap problems. Even with Halak, they're going nowhere this season, so the move made sense, from a cap perspective. Start the rebuilding NOW in Montreal. It's what I hope Burke finally starts doing here. Sadly, I doubt he will . . .

Really? You would choose the goalie who is falling apart rather than the goalie who is coming into his own, just because of his contract renewing? You are supposed to build your team around goalie and defense imo, so to trade away the best goalie is crazy no matter what contract situation arises. Besides, IF Price regains his former self, I think he will want a bigger raise when his contract is up (how long is that btw?) than what Halak would have asked for. If they didn't resign mediocre scoring forwards to $5M per, when they are rebuilding, they would have money for a bonafide #1 goalie.

Plus, with Price being under contract for a few more years, I honestly think his return would have been higher than Halak's. I would have traded Price, resigned Halak as the goalie of the future. I also would have never given Plekanec (sp?) the kind of money he got. Probably would have sent his rights somewhere for a draft pick, since as you stated, its rebuild time. Then I would go after young FA/college players like the Leafs are doing.

About BB rebuilding Toronto, Im confused with what to think these days... Huge leafs fan and I really want to trust BB... But that Kessel trade might very well go down in history as one of the worst ever. Kessel is good, but I would rather have TWO players like Stamkos/Duschene through next two drafts...Kadri will be a good help up front next year hopefully. Other than that, lets all prey together that we make it out of the bottom 5 this year!

I just have this feeling that I am going to retire before they win the cup again... and Im only 23!
    Boston got raped here.

Doubt there are many better D-men in the league than Wideman, and Horton is LOL mediocre. To then include a mid range first rounder is not a good play imo.

30 points and -14 in 76 games. I could swing a dead cat and hit a better D man than Wideman. He is also a few grand shy of $4M on the cap hit.

Boston is just doing some house cleaning.
  • Interesting rumour from Eklund...

* The Bruins are still trying hard to acquire the Blue Jackets 4th overall pick.. I am told we could see Savard + going to Columbus, and then the 4th pick in the draft going to Toronto for Kaberle. But until the Bruins get that pick...
  • Byfuglien and Eager are on their way to the Thrashers . . .
  • Chicago wins this just for getting rid of Sopel.

They keep their cup winning core without dumping some better skill players than buff ie Sharp/Versteeg and can qualify Hjar/Niemi.
  • I would rather have seen Versteeg go instead of Buff.

Versteeg 44 points in reg season
    Buff 34

Buff 16 in playoffs
    Steeg 14

Considering that Byfuglien played D for a big chunk of the reg season and 6 games in the playoffs you have to figure that he outscores Steeg in a full season at forward.

Buff is:

- More versatile in that he can fill a gap at defense
    - A big strong grinder on the wing
    - A proven playoff performer
    - Much more likely to grow as a player than Steeg

I am sad that he is gone.
  • Ha ha ha:bs:!!!!

I would not want either Malkhin or Ovechkin. Paying for transport trucks to haul away all of the cherries they both pick would put me over the cap . LMFAO.

Seriously though I am a Leaf Fan and also a Hockey Fan the problem in Toronto is the fact that the Owners: Ontario Teachers Pension Fund could give a rats ass if we ever saw a Stanley Cup Here ever again.
    As long as the Barn is full and the jerseys are flying out of the leafsport store and the morons want to pay 5$ for a tasteless hot dog.
    They couldn't be happier.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I expect Burkie will sign at least 3 free agents maybe even 4. All Forwards.
    If he trades Kabby who imo is a pretty solid defenceman unlike Mike komisarek who has spent half of his career in the penalty box , then he damn best be getting something in return.
  • I'd rather have Buff as well. They have offensive skill, need some size to go along with that.
  • YAY no Marleau!

But at 6.9 per I shutter to think what someone is gonna pay Kovalchuck.
  • Plus, with Price being under contract for a few more years, I honestly think his return would have been higher than Halak's. I would have traded Price, resigned Halak as the goalie of the future.

Halak's agent was posting on facebook Price's stats and asking why his boy wasn't playing more
    If he would do that, do you not think he went huge with his UFA pricing.
    Results.

Bye Bye