World cup

Now that the toughets trophy in sport has been won, let us turn our attention to the greatest tournament in all of sport . . .

THE WORLD CUP HAS BEGUN

Hup Holland . . . Oranje boeven . . .

I like Mexico to draw (hoping they win) today, and Uruguay to win as well.

Comments

• Is it wrong that I cheer for the Netherlands for no other reason than their AWESOME jerseys?
  • This year's version kind of sucks. Nike was a big disappointment in the Uni dept this time out.

Another reason would be the vast number of hawt Dutch chicks . . .
  • Decent opening match. No scores posted so no spoilers. Wish I could remember if the result was good for my pool, though . . .

Come on Uruguay !!!
  • lol soccer
  • Yup, world's most popular sport . . .

Who ya got Johnnie?
  • Milo wrote: »
    Yup, world's most popular sport . . .

Who ya got Johnnie?

I don't care who wins as long as the Americans get flattened, but I'll say Argentina. Or South Africa b/c they're the hosts.
  • I'm no a soccer/football guy but last time around I got the fever and watched a lot of it and cheered for no one in particular. So, I've been excited for it once again that is until i tuned in this morning and heard the god-awful non-stop buzzing of the vuvuzelas. It's such an annoying sound that I won't be watching any games, and will have to wait another 4 years to enjoy the tourney again. What a shame :-(
  • For those of us who aren't soccer fans, here's a little guide you might find helpful in terms of explaining everyone's role on the field:

The Onion Sports Introduction To World Cup Soccer | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
  • OHHHHH MAN. I am not a fan of a sport that has 22 guys on a field as big as a football field and nets the size of my house, Who can't score after running their arses off for 90 mins or more and spend a good 20 minutes whinning to the referee who can't understand a fricking word they say to them in the first place.
    The Stanley Cup is The Greatest and Hardest Trophy to win.
    A True Hockey Fan
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    Who can't score after running their arses off for 90 mins or more and spend a good 20 minutes whinning to the referee who can't understand a fricking word they say to them in the first place.

Soccer is a gentleman's sport played by thugs. Rugby is a thugs sport played by gentlemen.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Soccer is a gentleman's sport played by thugs. Rugby is a thugs sport played by gentlemen.

Almost,

soccer is a sport watched by thugs and played by gentlemen, Rugby is a sport watched by gentlemen and played by thugs. Hockey is a game played by thugs and watched by thugs.

The Germany dismantling of the Aussies was a great match. The Argentina match (where Messi shoulda scored 5 himself) was also incredible.

I will be supporting whoever in the pub I'm in is supporting (except Italia, never italia)
  • SuitedPair wrote: »
    The Argentina match (where Messi shoulda scored 5 himself) was also incredible.

The best is yet to come from La Albicelestes and Messi as long as Maradonna's crazy doesn't rub off on them.

CAREFUL NSFW BELOW.......

argentina_soccer-fangirl.jpg

body_art_soccer_argentina_3.jpg

body_art_soccer_argentina_2.jpg

Argentina%20soccer%20team%20-%202207.jpg

37.jpg

world-cup-2006-babes-argentina.jpg

soccerbabe3.jpg
  • If it were about having the slutiest fans, I think Argentina might actually win it all :)
  • Okay, so it IS true . . . wrestling DOES make you ghey . . .

anyway, HUP HOLLAND. 2-0 over Denmark, and right into the lead for Group E.

And Japan has to go and screw my pool picks up even further. Good thing their is only pride on the line . . .
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    If it were about having the slutiest fans, I think Argentina might actually win it all :)

We had a saying about those kind of girls in high school........"Let's date them".
  • We had a saying about those kind of girls in high school........"Let's date them".

We had one too... "Let's ask them out and have them laugh at us."

Awww, school sucked.
  • Baseball if it were played by soccer players...

...well the injuries and the amount of time wasted arguing with referees/umpires would be the same because soccer players and baseball players are all whiny malcontents who take a week off for a hangnail but I digress...

if baseball was played by soccer players it would consist of the outfielders passing the ball amongst themselves, every 20 minutes they would throw the ball to an infielder who would either turn it over and the other team would now take the field or it would be immediately passed back to the outfield. Once per hour the infielder, instead of turning it over would pass the ball to the pitcher, who would either turn the ball over and the other team would now take the field or on a 50/50 proposition, actually deliver the ball to the plate.

Every time the ball gets passed to an infielder, the crowd screams with excitement. Every time the pitcher catches the ball, the crowd goes wild and everytime the pitcher actually delivers to the plate, the announcer calls out 'piiiiittttttccccchhhhhhhh' for 30 seconds and then continues on talking about how exciting that was for the next 20 minutes while the ball goes back to the outfielders and gets passed around. Add at least 20 min for injuries and a 0-0 score and you have a soccer game.
  • zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Come on July 12th.
  • moose wrote: »
    Baseball if it were played by soccer players...

...well the injuries and the amount of time wasted arguing with referees/umpires would be the same because soccer players and baseball players are all whiny malcontents who take a week off for a hangnail but I digress...

if baseball was played by soccer players it would consist of the outfielders passing the ball amongst themselves, every 20 minutes they would throw the ball to an infielder who would either turn it over and the other team would now take the field or it would be immediately passed back to the outfield. Once per hour the infielder, instead of turning it over would pass the ball to the pitcher, who would either turn the ball over and the other team would now take the field or on a 50/50 proposition, actually deliver the ball to the plate.

Every time the ball gets passed to an infielder, the crowd screams with excitement. Every time the pitcher catches the ball, the crowd goes wild and everytime the pitcher actually delivers to the plate, the announcer calls out 'piiiiittttttccccchhhhhhhh' for 30 seconds and then continues on talking about how exciting that was for the next 20 minutes while the ball goes back to the outfielders and gets passed around. Add at least 20 min for injuries and a 0-0 score and you have a soccer game.

I would have thought baseball fans would be able to appreciate the subtleties of the Beautiful Game . . . *sigh*
    Buzzzardd wrote: »
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Come on July 12th.

Philistine.
  • Moose - LOL. nice one.

Buzz......just don't turn on the TV

France - LOL, you are a pathetic team. Never seen such a terrible choke (oh wait, I have seen the maple leafs play)
  • True to their national character, they have surrendered at the first challenge . . . look for their final game to be a nasty affari, again in keeping with their manner.
  • aaaahhh, the joys of questionable refereeing . . . Team USA got shafted today. Should have had the comeback victory of the tournament so far, only to have the ref blow his whistle for a foul . . . . loverly. Group is now England's to lose . . . :bs:
  • They need to score on Algeria first!
  • I should take over from Kreskin . . . I no sooner mention that Group D is England's to lose, and THEY DO IT !!!

Why could I not have this "Force"-like ability when I was single?!?

High school Milo: "You want to sleep with this schlub . . ."

High school Hottie: "I want to sleep with you . . ."

FML. :bs:
  • Uruguay and Mexico through from Group A. Mexico most likely to face the Argies in the next round . . . oh well, they might win on penalties. Big question is who does Uruguay have to play? South Korea is more deserving but, as Clint said, "deserves got nothin' to do with it . . ."
  • Here's hoping the Slovaks can do Toronto a favour today, and that the Netherlands finishes top top . . .
    Here's hoping the Slovaks can do the Toronto a favour today, and that the Netherlands finishes top top . . .

Ask and you shall receive!!
  • Well, lets keep a good thought, shall we?

Just think: no France, no Italy, no Portugal (after the next round) . . . aaaahh the blissful silence. Of course, all the Portugal fans will immediately switch allegiance to Brazil.

It's what they do, after all . . . sort of like the Italians in wartime. :D
    Well, lets keep a good thought, shall we?

Just think: no France, no Italy, no Portugal (after the next round) . . . aaaahh the blissful silence. Of course, all the Portugal fans will immediately switch allegiance to Brazil.

It's what they do, after all . . . sort of like the Italians in wartime. :D

Is Slovakia a good warm up game for Brazil? Brazil is your only hurdle to the final!

We have to go through England and Argentina just to get to the semi! Injuries are going to be a big problem for us!
  • good Italy game right now...