US$ - Will be break PAR again this week??

For those looking to head to Vegas this spring/summer, we are almost at par again with the US$. Might be a good time to get your US$ now, in case things turn around again. So, who thinks we will make it to $1.10 US this time around? Wouldn't that be sweet :) Time to start to looking for retirement properties down south.

Comments

• Not looking at retirement quite yet, but if the dollar goes that high, we might as well shut the doors of our plant and throw away the key. A dollar that high will destroy an awful lot of manufacturing in this province, and only head us back into a deeper recession.

Bad enough its as high as it is now. Almost every cent of profit has been dissolved due to the high dollar. Wish it would come back in line quickly, we need it at no more than .85 just to sustain.
  • read a few days ago they are saying our dollar is going to keep rising against the US$ to even higher than it did in the past.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Not looking at retirement quite yet, but if the dollar goes that high, we might as well shut the doors of our plant and throw away the key. A dollar that high will destroy an awful lot of manufacturing in this province, and only head us back into a deeper recession.

Bad enough its as high as it is now. Almost every cent of profit has been dissolved due to the high dollar. Wish it would come back in line quickly, we need it at no more than .85 just to sustain.

yeah it's crap like this that really makes me hate capitalism. the canadian dollar is getting stronger which is good and it's supposed to. but then as it gets higher it makes it harder for companies to make money. so stupid. just another hypocritical aspect of capitalism. who the hell ever thought that it was a good idea in the first place?
  • Somebody please explain to me how a stronger CDN$ is BETTER for our country than one that is sitting at .80 or lower?? I see zero benefit for a stronger CDN$, especially for manufacturing.
  • The strong dollar is bad for exports, good for imports. Sadly, we will not see the incremental benefits of a strong dollar in the wallet as "somehow" those price drops don't make it through the system quite as quickly as price increases. Just look at the pricing on books . . . they are still priced much higher for the Canadian market than the US, which is complete BS.
  • well, I wouldn't expect the US$ to head back to 0.85 for a while. I only see the US situation getting worse until they get their military spending under control and unemployment. If oil starts to break $90-$100 in the summer, things will only get worse for the US$. Personally, I see this as an opportunity as I travel a lot to the US and it can only last so long.
    Somebody please explain to me how a stronger CDN$ is BETTER for our country than one that is sitting at .80 or lower?? I see zero benefit for a stronger CDN$, especially for manufacturing.

I'm affraid your business is just in the wrong sector, as Milo stated imports will be the ones cashing in, exports and manufacturing will suffer.

The only benefit for myself will be a cheaper Vegas excursion.

Downfall is my online roll will decrease, and not because I suck.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    well, I wouldn't expect the US$ to head back to 0.85 for a while. I only see the US situation getting worse until they get their military spending under control and unemployment. If oil starts to break $90-$100 in the summer, things will only get worse for the US$. Personally, I see this as an opportunity as I travel a lot to the US and it can only last so long.

Forced to agree with you, can't see it getting any lower anytime in the near future either. Sadly, that will have a profound impact on manufacturing in this country. The cascading effect will be no one will be able to afford to go on holidays because there'll be no earning at home.
    Not looking at retirement quite yet, but if the dollar goes that high, we might as well shut the doors of our plant and throw away the key. A dollar that high will destroy an awful lot of manufacturing in this province, and only head us back into a deeper recession.

Same here and the fact that is extremely tough to sell our u.s. customers price increases based on fx fluctuations.
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    I'm affraid your business is just in the wrong sector, as Milo stated imports will be the ones cashing in, exports and manufacturing will suffer.

I still don't see the benefit in imports. Like Milo stated, even if they were cheaper, the consumer doesn't reap those benefits whatsoever, or at least, not for a considerable amount of time.

I'm of the mind set that all manufacturing in North America is doomed, especially with the high dollar, but moreso due to offshore competition. We simply can't compete with China these days. Used to be Mexico, now its China...20 years from now it will be some African country threatening manufacturing.

The days of MADE IN CANADA or MADE IN U.S.A. are over. Pretty soon, you won't be able to find locally made goods because imports will dominate the market to the extent to make the entire hemisphere service oriented instead of manufacturing.
    The days of MADE IN CANADA or MADE IN U.S.A. are over.

Loblaws, etc. should have a 'Made in Canada' aisle just like the foreign product aisle.
    I still don't see the benefit in imports. Like Milo stated, even if they were cheaper, the consumer doesn't reap those benefits whatsoever, or at least, not for a considerable amount of time.

I'm of the mind set that all manufacturing in North America is doomed, especially with the high dollar, but moreso due to offshore competition. We simply can't compete with China these days. Used to be Mexico, now its China...20 years from now it will be some African country threatening manufacturing.

The days of MADE IN CANADA or MADE IN U.S.A. are over. Pretty soon, you won't be able to find locally made goods because imports will dominate the market to the extent to make the entire hemisphere service oriented instead of manufacturing.

I have to disagree. Importing raw goods is cheaper due to the high dollar and we should be making use of those cheaper imports to be a producer of value added, innovative, high margin goods. Exporting raw materials has very little added value and low margin. A high dollar means Canadian manufacturing has to be innovative and provide products that no-one else can. They must find cost savings and efficiences which will benefit them no matter how high or low the dollar is to reduce the cost of the goods and improve margins. Canadian manufacturing must improve quality and produce technologically superior goods that are in demand no matter what the cost.

A low dollar has meant our manufacturing sector has gotten lazy and complacent and willing to rely on a low dollar to provide profits which is stupid short term thinking at best. To say that we need a 15% price advantage of a .85 dollar in order to compete is saying that we must be 15% less efficient, 15% lower quality, 15% less cost effective, 15% less in demand. Are we really that stupid?
  • Our professional sports teams benefit from a high Cdn dollar. They can attract star players with better contacts since it costs them less to pay their players in American $$, not that they would pass the savings onto the fans :mad: (Yes I know the Jays and Raptors NEVER attract star players!)

I am planning a autumn trip to Vegas, and I will start buying American pesos in the near future.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »

I am planning a autumn trip to Vegas, and I will start buying American pesos in the near future.

Dollar cost average it and get $100 each week. I use ING. Seems to provide the best exchange rate I can find and the accounts are free.
  • moose wrote: »
    They must find cost savings and efficiences which will benefit them no matter how high or low the dollar is to reduce to cost of the goods and improve margins. Canadian manufacturing must improve quality and produce technologically superior goods that are in demand no matter what the cost.

Here's the problem. Yes Canadian manufacturers must look for cost savings, and I'm sure theres a lot that can be made. Problem is, so do their customers. You can't find that much in savings to compete with the low cost countries. In many manufacturing sectors there is no gain in producing technologically superior goods.
  • MY BAD Y'ALL, I'VE GOT AMERICAN IN MY PURSE STILL FROM MY TRIP AND GOD HATES ME.

I'LL SPEND IT ON BOOZE AND HOOKERS SHORTLY AND GOD WILL SINK THE DOLLAR SO LOW THAT MEXICO WILL LOOK TO UNLOAD SOME OF THEIR MANUFACTURING JOBS ON US!
    Milo wrote: »
    Just look at the pricing on books . . . they are still priced much higher for the Canadian market than the US, which is complete BS.

Weird, this is the exact thing I thought of while opening this thread. I'm pretty sure Milo and I being on the same wave length is a sign of the apocalypse.
  • Price is just one component, so if you can't cut costs to lower your prices and compete on price then you can compete based on quality/technological superiority. The reality is it is a combination. You can't make a tree more technologically superior than another country's tree so exporting raw materials is a waste of time. The margins are so low you would never be able to compete on price unless you are using technologically more cost efficient production methods. However you can take that tree and turn it into value added, in demand, higher quality other products.

I hate the whining that starts every time the dollar goes up. So our goods are the same price now on a currency basis with the US. So what? You don't see the US whining that their dollar is higher than many other currencies and people demanding that the gov't do something to lower their dollar so that they can compete on a currency basis. It's bullshit, 2nd class, inferiority thinking that we can't do something to make our products compete without having a lower dollar. Smart lean innovative companies will survive, thrive and be successful. The others will not and that is the true effect of real capitalism and it has nothing to do with the value of the dollar.
  • Canadians with U$-denominated assets such as poker balances will also lose money with a higher C$. Everytime I make a small cashout, I get less Canadian dollars than before. :(
    T8urmoney wrote: »
    Downfall is my online roll will decrease, and not because I suck.
    You don't see the US whining that their dollar is higher than many other currencies and people demanding that the gov't do something to lower their dollar so that they can compete on a currency basis. It's bullshit, 2nd class, inferiority thinking that we can't do something to make our products compete without having a lower dollar. Smart lean innovative companies will survive, thrive and be successful. The others will not and that is the true effect of real capitalism and it has nothing to do with the value of the dollar.

I see your thinking process here Moose, and for the most part agree with it. Only those that are willing to THINK SMARTER will survive. The biggest issue is that so many manufacturing companies over the past 30 to 40 years (or more) have depended on the low dollar, and they represent such a huge portion of the total manufacturing sector that it will have a massive impact on the whole. Most companies won't, or can't, change the way they do business and therefore will die off. And the ones that do go lean and smart are going to face tougher and tougher competition and demands from their customers just to stay afloat.

I'm not saying thats a bad thing at all, just going to be quite abit different from the way its been done in the past.
  • Yes unfortunately part of that process has been that company loyalty to its' employees is very rare indeed. The fastest way to cut costs is to cut employees. With that change obviously then is that employee loyalty to their employers is also very low. No longer are people company employees for life because they don't expect their employee to look out for them anymore.

A good example is ATS Automation out here in Kitchener. When Klaus Woerner was alive it was company policy to never lay off employees, rather to engage idle employees in company improvement projects. Klaus died and without his control over the board very quickly layoffs began and ATS's lead as an innovator in the automation industry began to evaporate soon after. An excellent example of short term thinking that has made the company suffer in the long run.
    I see your thinking process here Moose, and for the most part agree with it. Only those that are willing to THINK SMARTER will survive. The biggest issue is that so many manufacturing companies over the past 30 to 40 years (or more) have depended on the low dollar, and they represent such a huge portion of the total manufacturing sector that it will have a massive impact on the whole. Most companies won't, or can't, change the way they do business and therefore will die off. And the ones that do go lean and smart are going to face tougher and tougher competition and demands from their customers just to stay afloat.

I'm not saying thats a bad thing at all, just going to be quite abit different from the way its been done in the past.

isn't that supposed to be the essence of capitalism? i.e. the competition of the market creating jobs, money, and what-have-you? (not that i actually agree with this in practice, but that is the argument from the capitalist view-point.)

Yeah, that was one of the main reasons LaZBoy closed down 5 years ago. The dollar shot up to 90 cents instead of being down around 70 cents like it was since the mid 90s.

A high dollar is good for some but not good for others.

And I think it's not so much our dollar getting stronger but the American dollar getting weaker against all world currencies.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Canadians with U$-denominated assets such as poker balances will also lose money with a higher C$. Everytime I make a small cashout, I get less Canadian dollars than before. :(

Can't you transfer the funds to a US dollar account? then keep it for your next trip south or until it recovers.
  • when I go grocery shopping and see fruit salad and tooth paste now made in China by well known brands, I know North America is in trouble.
  • lol monopoly money
  • Walleye wrote: »
    lol monopoly money

It's okay Walleye, we'll still take it off you when you play up here. We'll even let you buy-in at par . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    , we'll still take it off you when you play up here. We'll even let you buy-in at par . . .

Like Hell we will. Pay up, BIATCH!

A good example is ATS Automation out here in Kitchener. When Klaus Woerner was alive it was company policy to never lay off employees, rather to engage idle employees in company improvement projects. Klaus died and without his control over the board very quickly layoffs began and ATS's lead as an innovator in the automation industry began to evaporate soon after. An excellent example of short term thinking that has made the company suffer in the long run.

Excellent discussion going on here. Moose, this is one of the most obvious things that has to change. Short term thinking. By tying executive compensation to short term fluctuations in share price there can be no strategic thinking without someone holding the reins that has a vested interest in the long term success of the company. Unfortunately we seem to be producing such strongly focused entrepreneurs less and less. I think this is the area to focus on to develop the next ATS or the next RIM. Companies who's products were so leading edge that currency exchange was just an added bonus and not a reason to do business in the first place.

In order to compete with offshore manufacturing on their terms we would need to decrease the wage scale of those employees to such a degree that it would have a much more profound effect on our economy than just a 15% hair cut on US exports. We also need to start diversifying our trading partners such that the US dollar isn't such a factor.......easier said than done when we are geographically separated from large chunks of the world and oil is going up.......

Greek Curse - "May you live in interesting times". seems we are there.
  • Labour is one of the biggest costs to employers. I remember min wage in my first job for <18 being $3.15 an hour. Mar. 31 it goes to $9.60 <18 and $10.25 >18 but prices since then have maybe doubled, if that. How do companies hold down costs? Less full time employees and fewer employees doing the same job.
  • suitedpair wrote: »

chinese curse - "may you live in interesting times". Seems we are there.

fyp.