Options

pocket pairs strategy

i regularly call smaller pocket pairs from any position if im confident i won't have to call another raise. i do this knowing that generally i will take all someones chips if i hit my set. is this to loose though, do i have to match it up with pot odds?

Comments

• I dont think we need to rewrite every poker book in the world here.

Google set mining.

/thread.
  • ive read book on both sides of the coin for this one....furthermore i'm quite interested in how the average player plays....and ill tell you something....with attitudes like this...im gonna bury you guys by the end of this year....
  • darbday wrote: »
    ive read book on both sides of the coin for this one....furthermore i'm quite interested in how the average player plays....and ill tell you something....with attitudes like this...im gonna bury you guys by the end of this year....

I hope so!

But you didnt really ask a question. So there isnt much to talk about, aside from obvious rhetorical questions.

Should an average player setmine?
    Is setmining profitable?
    Should I be appliying odds to setmine?
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    I hope so!

damn with that attitude i might not catch up.....my question comes from reading in one book that, knowing how much implied odds there are, it doesn't really matter whats in the pot preflop, and in another i read you want to have like 6 other bets in for every one of yours kinda thing....whats your take on that?
  • The norm for me, is usually as long as both I, and the original raiser or bettor have 15-20x bet/raise size in our stack I will try to mine..if for some crazy reason there is 7-1 in the pot already..yeah, I will play as well...That being said, small pairs play different than big pairs (obv). Anything including and above J's I am typically betting for value..this is probably lighter than most..that is mostly early/middle game..late game, dynamics change and it becomes much more situational..
    In some circumstances I might flat 77 when I shouldn't...lmao
  • How has "queen" Kristy not been in this thread yet:D
  • philliivey wrote: »
    How has "queen" Kristy not been in this thread yet:D

I've read it three times actually.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    I've read it three times actually.

naw if she really read it she woulda posted some advice.

you want some advice dude, play better poker, and stop asking noobular questions.

you are worse the cybersexius.
  • epic_donk wrote: »
    you want some advice dude, play better poker, and stop asking noobular questions.

you are worse the cybersexius.

ill repeat if this is your attitude, i will bury you. if the black belts can't learn from the underbelts...who do they learn from?

I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that I'd lie, and I'll thank you in advance for your gracious apology.
    ill repeat if this is your attitude, i will bury you. if the black belts can't learn from the underbelts...who do they learn from?

what? I read this post and find u challenging me to a game?!

wut.gif

epic_donk wrote: »
    what?

The answer is Chuck Norris.

celebrity-pictures-chuck-norris-death.jpg

i working towards getting some money into my ft account but i keep having to cash out to catch up the bills. ill get into our site tourney's soon. but im more talking about my stats over this next year.

never challenge....art of war..

wut.gif

Dude, quit using my favourite gifs. That's two in the past hour. I have a mission to accomplish!

kti.gif
    i working towards getting some money into my ft account but i keep having to cash out to catch up the bills. ill get into our site tourney's soon. but im more talking about my stats over this next year.

never challenge....art of war..

Im not even gonna reply to this thread and quite possibly the rest of your threads because they are full of fail. I look at them like this.

boner-fail.gif
    wut.gif
    Dude, quit using my favourite gifs. That's two in the past hour.

You guys know what that gif is from right?

YouTube - Italian Spiderman Trailer

Best.Youtube.Video.Ever.

SHUTCHO MOUTH APUSSYCAT!
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »

SHUTCHO MOUTH APUSSYCAT!

It's why I keep this one too.

11syvjr.gif
  • I wish that gif put up a wall of "Shut Cho Mouth PUSSYCAT!" text at the end.
  • The key is to set-mine ONLY when you KNOW that the original raiser has AA, and that hitting will tilt him so bad he busts in three hands, if not right away. This strategy is covered in the upcoming Ching Hill poker booklet, "How to Protect My Aces". Available next season, on the Hill . . .

Come out to a game, AJ and I will autograph a copy for you.
  • Milo wrote: »
    The key is to set-mine ONLY when you KNOW that the original raiser has AA, and that hitting will tilt him so bad he busts in three hands, if not right away. This strategy is covered in the upcoming Ching Hill poker booklet, "How to Protect My Aces". Available next season, on the Hill . . .

Come out to a game, AJ and I will autograph a copy for you.

funny cause im writing a counter book called ace on the flop
  • Yeah we covered that in a previous booklet, entitled "Flushed your Aces With That Flop". Might be out of print, but I'll see if we have one in the back . . .

When you coming out to the Hill? New season is just around the bend.
    Yeah we covered that in a previous booklet, entitled "Flushed your Aces With That Flop". Might be out of print, but I'll see if we have one in the back . . .

When you coming out to the Hill? New season is just around the bend.

you must mean 'the hills'...no i couldn't stand those hussie's for more than 3 minutes...i'd seriously end up self punching myself in the face
  • No, I mean Ching Hill, where poker players play poker, and I play, too.
    No, I mean Ching Hill, where poker players play poker, and I play, too.

i couldn't be further and still in the country i think ;)
  • 20-1 Set-Mining implied odds rule.

If you're calling a raise that is that is bigger than your stack divided by 20 for set mining purposes, just fold it. Realistically you flop a set 1 in 9 times, but the times you don't get paid off (ie raiser has broadway hands and doesn't have a premium to pay you off) will make you have to increase your implied odds to make it worth it.

BeL0WaB0Ve follows a limping rule. Don't open limp a pair unless you're 50 BB deep.
  • Tilter wrote: »
    20-1 Set-Mining implied odds rule.

If you're calling a raise that is that is bigger than your stack divided by 20 for set mining purposes, just fold it. Realistically you flop a set 1 in 9 times, but the times you don't get paid off (ie raiser has broadway hands and doesn't have a premium to pay you off) will make you have to increase your implied odds to make it worth it.

BeL0WaB0Ve follows a limping rule. Don't open limp a pair unless you're 50 BB deep.

^^ this.

It's situation-dependent (position is key; other players' pre- and post-flop play is equally key; stack sizes are crucial), but I find set-mining is most profitable when I'm at least 200xBB deep and at least a few of my opponents are (a) also deep and (b) can't get away from TPTK and top two-pair type hands. Of course, when you're 200xBB deep, set-over-set smarts a bit... but c'est la poker.

If you're set-mining in tournaments when you have (or everyone else at your table has) M < 30, you have a leak in your game.
  • i would like to get into these tourney where you have 200 big blind. i make final tables with out barely getting over 20 bb. are these deep stack tourney's or what the hell?
    i would like to get into these tourney where you have 200 big blind. i make final tables with out barely getting over 20 bb. are these deep stack tourney's or what the hell?

In the first paragraph, I was talking about cash games. Outside of home games, I don't play many tourneys. That's why I mentioned tourneys in a separate paragraph. Your OP wasn't specific.
  • iNano78 wrote: »
    In the first paragraph, I was talking about cash games. Outside of home games, I don't play many tourneys. That's why I mentioned tourneys in a separate paragraph. Your OP wasn't specific.

it was VERY specific....are you new ;)