Royal Cup of online poker...???

Do you think there would be enough interest in organizing one of these, similar to what we do live? To get enough players I would think $1. buyins with perhaps an additional $40-50 bucks per team (submitted to one trusted escrow person) which would be distributed to winning teams after the competition is over.. Think we could get 8-12 teams? I would be glad to try and organize over a period of weeks to get it done. I would think we want to keep the cost down to <$20. total per player...

Comments

• compuease wrote: »
    Do you think there would be enough interest in organizing one of these, similar to what we do live? To get enough players I would think $1. buyins with perhaps an additional $40-50 bucks per team (submitted to one trusted escrow person) which would be distributed to winning teams after the competition is over.. Think we could get 8-12 teams? I would be glad to try and organize over a period of weeks to get it done. I would think we want to keep the cost down to <$20. total per player...

I would do it but I doubt my schedule would fit -- I never am available to play the forum tournies so I doubt many tournies would be any different
  • Great idea, I just wonder about the chances of getting sit and go's scheduled so that it suits every player. Seems like it could be a nightmare.
  • Teams of 2 at the most. Each person must play 50% of the tourneys.
  • Not sure what the "Royal Cup" is, but I'd consider participating in a online team-based competition.
  • MarcoGD wrote: »
    Not sure what the "Royal Cup" is, but I'd consider participating in a online team-based competition.

The RC is a team based tournament that takes place in Kitchener. There are anywhere from 8-10 teams of 8 players playing, many of them CPF members.

Each team member plays 3 SnGs then a HU match. Points are give to each player as they bust. The team with the highest points win.

There's been a few post about it here:

Royal Cup - Poker Forum Canada
  • no idea what it is but if you guys will have me I'm probably in
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    The RC is a team based tournament that takes place in Kitchener. There are anywhere from 8-10 teams of 8 players playing, many of them CPF members.

Each team member plays 3 SnGs then a HU match. Points are give to each player as they bust. The team with the highest points win.

There's been a few post about it here:

Royal Cup - Poker Forum Canada

Thanks!

Sounds like fun.
  • I think it would work best with smaller teams. Say 2-4 people and you'd need an 'alternate rule'..at some point SOMEONE isn't going to be able to play for a valid reason.
  • DataMn and Kristy would just play together and no one else would have a chance.
  • Buzzzardd wrote: »
    DataMn and Kristy would just play together and no one else would have a chance.

lol, don't be so sure.. Kristy playing limit and stud/omaha is interesting...
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    I think it would work best with smaller teams. Say 2-4 people and you'd need an 'alternate rule'..at some point SOMEONE isn't going to be able to play for a valid reason.

This I agree with... way too hard to manage 8 player teams... And you are right we would need some sort of "alternate" rule...

Keep the suggestions coming folks, probably need at least 24 players, maybe 6 teams of 4 to make this viable...
  • I'm in if you guys will have me of course....

:D
  • I'm in if this gets off the ground.
  • me me me me me
  • Can we correct the over-value of NLHE HU that's always a problem in the IRL-Royal?

It just isn't worth that much.
  • I would play.

Mark
  • Me too please!
    Can we correct the over-value of NLHE HU that's always a problem in the IRL-Royal?

It just isn't worth that much.

Personally, after last nights disastrous attempt at HU on my part I'd rather never see the letters H and U ever combined again.

Never did find out who PokerPilotKH was. Please don't tell me that Fed's new account is the one that took me out.
  • Personally, after last nights disastrous attempt at HU on my part I'd rather never see the letters H and U ever combined again.

Never did find out who PokerPilotKH was. Please don't tell me that Fed's new account is the one that took me out.

you defenitly did get steam rolled and shown whats up HU eh billy :D
  • Personally, after last nights disastrous attempt at HU on my part I'd rather never see the letters H and U ever combined again.

Don't worry - him and Fed are not the same person.

I don't think we've had the pleasure of him posting on the forum, but here is a link to his profile on another site...

Kevin (Poker Pilot) - CanAmPokerTour.ca (Barrie, ON) - Meetup.com
  • shouldn't you have the big award now Al? I thought you got that at three?
  • DataMn wrote: »
    Don't worry - him and Fed are not the same person.

I don't think we've had the pleasure of him posting on the forum, but here is a link to his profile on another site...

Kevin (Poker Pilot) - CanAmPokerTour.ca (Barrie, ON) - Meetup.com

Thanks Al. Tried asking him who he was on the forum, but he didn't respond.

At least that sets my mind at ease that it wasn't fed. I swear the blade on my wrists was just breaking through the skin when I saw your post.
  • Team Ivey FTW!

fo sho

I am most likely in
    shouldn't you have the big award now Al? I thought you got that at three?

No, I believe that the first big reward comes at 5.
  • if this comes off i will try to put together a UK based team just to give a bit of flavour. I have been asked by a world of poker forum to set up a challenge match between this forum and theirs, but the 5 hours time diff for eastern players never mind western ones has not made it possible. maybe we can do something say sunday afternoons or early evenings??

good idea though.
  • Think this might work... I propose that I run this as moderator (similar to Milo in the dead guys thread) but not play to so as to "appear" impartial.. How about 8 - 4 man teams? One captain per team to assist me in coming up with rules/schedule/etc. How about players, should they all come from CPF or should we leave that up to the capt's? I will have a good look at the Royal structure to see how it would adapt to an online version asap. Host will be Stars with $1. buyins but we set some extra amount as prize money, maybe $10 or $20. apiece? Or should it be more?
  • i think this is a great idea and as i said i have been asked by a large UK forum to set up a game. I know i can get atleast one other forum involved. I am also confident that a deal can be made with lets say "betfair poker to add some $$" if not them then i'm sure someone else will step up. Just putting it out there.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Think this might work... I propose that I run this as moderator (similar to Milo in the dead guys thread) but not play to so as to "appear" impartial.. How about 8 - 4 man teams? One captain per team to assist me in coming up with rules/schedule/etc. How about players, should they all come from CPF or should we leave that up to the capt's? I will have a good look at the Royal structure to see how it would adapt to an online version asap. Host will be Stars with $1. buyins but we set some extra amount as prize money, maybe $10 or $20. apiece? Or should it be more?

moar.jpg

and I think I retain the right as resident pro to be deemed a captain.

:D
  • I am also confident that a deal can be made with lets say "betfair poker to add some $$" if not them then i'm sure someone else will step up. Just putting it out there.
    Problem with Betfair or any other small site is that we have very few members here who play on those sites. Also on Stars I can set up SNG's of all disciplines at a low buyin very easily (minimizes rake). We can award most of the prize money offline via direct transfer, assuming the capt's are ok with me escrowing it... Note this is not a scam, I am not running off to some sunny clime with your $20. or whatever entry fees... promise.. :)