Dropped a Penny Today

In line at Sobeys. I was in the Express Line. There was a woman and a kid behind me. I just stared at it. The kid stared at me like" arent you gonna pick that shit up?".

For what felt like a long time, but was probably a couple seconds I pondered bending down. But I couldnt do it. I gave the kid the "go ahead" look and proceeded.

On my way out I thought, if that was a nickel, would I have picked it up?

My answer - no. Still too lazy.

What about a dime? Those little fuckers are hard to scoop off a flat surface, so I decided no.

I concluded that if it was a quarter, I would have bent down.

That reminded me to earlier, in the Tim Hortons drive through. While passing me my change a quarter is dropped outside my car. I left it, and drove away.

I thought if it was a dollar I would open the door and pick it up.

This story has no moral. But would you pick up the penny?

Is there something wrong with me?

Comments

• Yup. I pick it up every time. Just cheap that way, I guess.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    In line at Sobeys. I was in the Express Line. There was a woman and a kid behind me. I just stared at it. The kid stared at me like" arent you gonna pick that shit up?".

For what felt like a long time, but was probably a couple seconds I pondered bending down. But I couldnt do it. I gave the kid the "go ahead" look and proceeded.

On my way out I thought, if that was a nickel, would I have picked it up?

My answer - no. Still too lazy.

What about a dime? Those little fuckers are hard to scoop off a flat surface, so I decided no.

I concluded that if it was a quarter, I would have bent down.

That reminded me to earlier, in the Tim Hortons drive through. While passing me my change a quarter is dropped outside my car. I left it, and drove away.

I thought if it was a dollar I would open the door and pick it up.

This story has no moral. But would you pick up the penny?

Is there something wrong with me?

No, I do the exact same.
  • lol if Wetts ships anymore mtts he's gunna start making it rain with fivers in the Sobey's line just for shits!
  • You were shopping at Sobey's, so you were already getting ripped off. Since you obv have no concern for money isn't the question moot?
  • i read donald trump would pick up the penny, for sheer principle, since then i always do.
  • I'd pick up the penny only if the dropping of it was witnessed by someone and only because I would hate to look like a littering pig with no respect for anyone else's establishment.

As far as picking up other monies. I remember walking away from a quarters and loonies game at work and throwing my last handful of change (which was about 3 bucks worth) down the aisle in complete disgust about losing $40 at break. It scattered everywhere and it did provide me with 20 minutes of entertainment as I watched a guy with about 35 years of seniority and more money than the company itself walk by a few moments later and end up almost on his hands and knees picking up every nickle, dime and quarter he could find.
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    .... a guy with about 35 years of seniority and more money than the company itself walk by a few moments later and end up almost on his hands and knees picking up every nickle, dime and quarter he could find.

he must of graduated with trump
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    I'd pick up the penny only if the dropping of it was witnessed by someone and only because I would hate to look like a littering pig with no respect for anyone else's establishment.

As far as picking up other monies. I remember walking away from a quarters and loonies game at work and throwing my last handful of change (which was about 3 bucks worth) down the aisle in complete disgust about losing $40 at break. It scattered everywhere and it did provide me with 20 minutes of entertainment as I watched a guy with about 35 years of seniority and more money than the company itself walk by a few moments later and end up almost on his hands and knees picking up every nickle, dime and quarter he could find.

The two things I got from the story.
  • That Eddie Shack could sure manage his $$$, right?
  • Find a Penny
    Pick it up
    All day long
    You'll have good luck!

My mother taught me this when I was but a wee lad, and its stuck with me ever since.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Find a Penny
    Pick it up
    All day long
    You'll have good luck!

My mother taught me this when I was but a wee lad, and its stuck with me ever since.

I'm with you AJ
    By the way, found one this AM look out to nite! I hope

Milton Slim
  • My Mother used to get upset if I didn't pick up any change I found...so I do. But change in my pocket irritates me so I put it into the first donation jar/tip jar I can find.

My anti-change obsession is so intense that I'm one of those people that will pay ..say.. $2.17 for something that is $1.92 so that I can have a quarter back and thus less and larger pieces of change. It blows the Tim Horton's server's mind.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    My Mother used to get upset if I didn't pick up any change I found...so I do. But change in my pocket irritates me so I put it into the first donation jar/tip jar I can find.

My anti-change obsession is so intense that I'm one of those people that will pay ..say.. $2.17 for something that is $1.92 so that I can have a quarter back and thus less and larger pieces of change. It blows the Tim Horton's server's mind.

I do the same, most times you have to tell them what change you are getting back.

Milton Slim
  • moose wrote: »
    You were shopping at Sobey's, so you were already getting ripped off. Since you obv have no concern for money isn't the question moot?

+1, was going to say the same;)
  • Milo wrote: »
    That Eddie Shack could sure manage his $$$, right?

lol, ya he managed it good on the booze:)
  • ddmilcan wrote: »
    I do the same, most times you have to tell them what change you are getting back.

Milton Slim

lol, I know..otherwise they just look at you blankly and try and hand the $0.17 back.
  • when I was under 25 i threw all my change on the sidewalks and watched old people and young kids pick it up, made me smile for 2 reasons made a kids day and made an old person think it was their lucky day. the last 15 years I have been save my change every day have over 600 LBS. I think over 10grand.
  • Would have to be at least a loonie for me to bother.
  • BADAPPLE67 wrote: »
    the last 15 years I have been save my change every day have over 600 LBS. I think over 10grand.

something like $2.2/lb so $1500ish imo
    something like $2.2/lb so $1500ish imo

ROFL.

For all the people saying they would not pick up small change, do you generally tell the server to keep the change when going through Timmies?

If not, why not?
  • I have two large water bottles full counted half of one was over $2600
    ROFL.

For all the people saying they would not pick up small change, do you generally tell the server to keep the change when going through Timmies?

If not, why not?

Its not that I dont want the change.

Its that the effort exerted to bend down and pick it up is > my want to actually do it.

Oh God, Kristy is more like me than I thought . . . :-\

Oh, and fair enough, Wetts . . . at least you're consistent
  • I recall reading in the '90s that if Bill Gates stopped and took 5 seconds to bend down and pick up a $100 bill, he'd be losing money (based on earnings per minute).
    ROFL.

If not, why not?

I don't think they would get to keep the change. I generally tip very well at restaurants for decent service, so same thing, no?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I don't think they would get to keep the change.

I'm sure I've tipped at Tim Hortons and they've kept the money.

On the very rare occasions I was tipped (usually during the late night bar rush) at Burger King, I kept the money. The bosses had no problems with us keeping the money.

As to the OP, I pick up any money I drop. Just me.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I don't think they would get to keep the change. I generally tip very well at restaurants for decent service, so same thing, no?

Not quite, as the drive-through takes your $$$ before you get your goods, and thus gives you your change at the same time. I tip well at restos too but, as mentioned previously, I have some nitty habits re: $$$
  • Kristy, I'm on the other end. The number of times I'd ask a customer if they had .07 so they could get a quarter back instead of a bunch of coins, they just stare at me blankly. Even had one ask me when the price went up and they had always paid X amount. Some people, on either side of the counter, are just not that bright.

Generally, I pick up the money, no matter how little, just out of habit. Only exception is when my two nieces are around. The damn stuff doesn't even bounce once off the ground before they've got it.
  • I forgot to say that this morning my mouse was partially obstructing the title and I thought this thread was titled: "Dropped a puppy on the ground"
  • Here's where I'm weird I guess...

I keep all my coins < $2 on me and use them whenever I can to top up to toonies or bills. Then, i keep the toonies and bills.

In nine months I saved nearly $1500....

Mark