Halladay to Phillie and we get

fucken prospects!

Give me a break

(Not def yet, but looking like it)

Comments

• I think we're getting J.A. Happ back in return..but yes, pretty much all prospects from the looks of it. Btw...fix your post dang it, it's Halladay
  • westside8 wrote: »
    I think we're getting J.A. Happ back in return..but yes, pretty much all prospects from the looks of it. Btw...fix your post dang it, it's Halladay

I know. On tilt after hearing about "prospects" ;)

And a mighty mod needs to fix it lol
  • I've heard Phillippe Aumont is coming from the Mariners. He'll end up being the best Canadian born player the Jays have had and could be a stud closer in a couple years. Think Jonathan Papelbon type.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    fucken prospects!

Give me a break

(Not def yet, but looking like it)

That's how the Jays management rolls. They make such poor decisions they must be trying out for Leafs front office jobs,. They basically give away Alex Rios and Roy Halladay in the same year. We haven't had a whiff of a playoff race since Adam Lind was discovering the joys of masturbation.

Almost every "big name" signing has been a bust. Cory Koskie. Troy Glaus. Scott Rolen. AJ Burnett. Lyle Overbay.

Here's to ANOTHER season in the shitter! Maybe we'll compete in 2011, but probably not.

I'm almost ready to give up on these guys.
  • They are in a much better situation than the Leafs. God, it's not even close. They have a stockpile of good young pitching which is like gold in the major leagues.

Trading Halladay makes perfect sense. Save his salary since they won't be winning anything whether he's here or not, and set yourself up for 2-3 years down the road by accumulating top prospects. If they get Happ (which I doubt, and I would prefer the upside of Kyle Drabek btw) and/or Dominic Brown from the Phillies, I'm loving this deal.
  • They are in a much better situation than the Leafs. God, it's not even close. They have a stockpile of good young pitching which is like gold in the major leagues.

Trading Halladay makes perfect sense. Save his salary since they won't be winning anything whether he's here or not, and set yourself up for 2-3 years down the road by accumulating top prospects. If they get Happ (which I doubt, and I would prefer the upside of Kyle Drabek btw) and/or Dominic Brown from the Phillies, I'm loving this deal.

I couldnt type a better response if my life depended on it.
  • At the end of the day..prospects are still prospects.

Remember Dallas McPherson? Everyone was ready to hand him the ROY before the season even started, and what is he up to now? And Billy Butler? Certainly hasn't done what he is expected to.

Don't get me wrong, I rather see him moved now for at least something, instead of end of this season when we'll only get 2 compensation picks.
  • I've heard Phillippe Aumont is coming from the Mariners. He'll end up being the best Canadian born player the Jays have had and could be a stud closer in a couple years. Think Jonathan Papelbon type.

There is some truth to that.
  • Latest rumours have Aumont OUT of the deal (dammit) but Drabek IN (woohoo).

Also names floating out there are SS Carlos Truinfel and OF Michael Saunders from Seattle and C Travis D'Arnaud and OF Michael Taylor from Philly.

EDIT: Apparently Aumont is heading to the Phils. Makes sense as the Phils need to gain something other than just Halladay for Lee in order to give up top prospects.

EDIT 2 : Mariners prospects go to Phillies. Phillies prospects coming to Jays likely Taylor, D'Arnaud and Drabek or Happ. NOT squadooosh!
  • In other words squadooosh!
  • Latest has Drabek, D'Arnaud and Taylor to the Jays
  • Sounds like it won't be official until tomorrow but it seems set now.

BTW, if you have money, put it all on the Mariners to win the AL West next season.....then go borrow/beg/steal some more and put it on them to win the AL pennant.
  • I'm guessing the thinking is...

We are going to lose this year.
    We have zero chance this year.
    Give away our stars for $ and rebuild since we won't win this year anyways.
    Plan to win 3 years down the road.
    Latest has Drabek, D'Arnaud and Taylor to the Jays

idk about the rest of you but if this is the case it's a pretty impressive return if we're going the prospect route.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    idk about the rest of you but if this is the case it's a pretty impressive return if we're going the prospect route.

Ya it those are the prospects it's a good deal.
    (but they are still prospects)
  • I guess I'm ticked off because prospects are so risky, and it's hard to say goodbye to our franchise star. Halladay was our rock for so long, it's going to be weird not seeing him every 5 days. Although I'm happy for Halladay. He finally has a legitimate shot at a ring.

I see the Phillies are in Toronto June 25-27. Should we start planning a CPF trip?
  • JohnnieH wrote: »

I see the Phillies are in Toronto June 25-27. Should we start planning a CPF trip?

yup :)
    Ya it those are the prospects it's a good deal.
    (but they are still prospects)

There is a difference between being a prospect, and being a "blue chip" prospect. These guys are widely considered to be 3 of the top 5 in the Phillies org, and their org is considered above avg. To me that signals win for a pitcher that we have under contract for one year and has openly said he's gone after that.
  • Sick I think we get Aumont, Happ, and Taylor. Best we can hope for if not getting a current star. Way better than what Ricciardi would have done IMO.

Why did Philly give up on Lee though. The way he was pitching for them, the upgrade wasn't worth a Happ. Would have been nice for Philly fans to have both.

edit: hopefully its still Aumont.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »

Sounds like a good idea.

actyper wrote: »

Why did Philly give up on Lee though. The way he was pitching for them, the upgrade wasn't worth a Happ. Would have been nice for Philly fans to have both.

Lee was leaving after this season. They get Halladay and were able to negotiate an extension to ensure an ace for the next 4 years.
  • Lee was leaving after this season. They get Halladay and were able to negotiate an extension to ensure an ace for the next 4 years.

That was the key. Lee for 1 year or Halladay for 4 years (maybe 6).
  • Any idea what Lee turned down? The report is that Roy will sign a 60 mil 3 year extension.
  • Looks like a done deal.

Sources: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies agree on deal - ESPN
    Roy Halladay and the Phillies have come to an agreement on a contract that would put in motion a three-team trade that would send the Toronto Blue Jays ace to Philadelphia, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.
    Halladay was taking his physical Tuesday morning, sources said.

The Phillies were to send outfielder Michael Taylor, catching prospect Travis d'Arnaud and pitcher Kyle Drabek to Toronto, sources told ESPN.com.
    The Blue Jays, as part of the Halladay deal, would fork over $6 million to the Phillies, according to CSNPhilly.com.
  • Olney reported that the Blue Jays will then send Taylor to the Oakland Athletics in exchange for a former No. 1 pick, infielder Brett Wallace.
  • actyper wrote: »
    Olney reported that the Blue Jays will then send Taylor to the Oakland Athletics in exchange for a former No. 1 pick, infielder Brett Wallace.

Damn..you beat me to it.
  • Almost drove off the road when I heard that. I can almost assure you it will not be 1 for 1.
  • Maybe we can throw in Vernon :)
  • actyper wrote: »
    Maybe we can throw in Vernon :)

Deal killer.
    Deal killer.

:biggrin:
  • LOL bluejays