Brantford Tourney Discussion/Results

Thought I would start this thread, so people can post their thoughts, results, etc.

Best of luck to all! Let's have an all pokerforum.ca final table!! :)

macbb :canada:

Comments

• I'll be playing Tuesday ... can't recall, is anyone else playing Tuesday?

Oh, and I'll probably be wearing a Buffalo Bills jersey and hat (hey, gotta wear it while I have a reason to! :) )

• macbb wrote:
    I'll be playing Tuesday ... can't recall, is anyone else playing Tuesday?

I believe that ComaU is playing on Tuesday. Myself however, I'm playing on Thursday. Good luck and post your results as soon as you can, I'm eager to hear how everyone does.

stp
  • Good luck MACBB and STPBOY.......I'll be playing saturday with a couple other forum members. Looking forward to hearing your updates. Hopefully I'll see you both on sunday!
  • does brantford allow same-day alternate signups etc...

if people don't show up
  • Yes I believe they do. They did in the June tournament. I would call them to make sure.....but I would figure they still need to account for and replace no shows and cancellations.
  • Remember to bring your registration sheet with you. You need it to sign in!
  • Is there a tournament every night or because of limited seating they run a one table every night? Also wondering what the odds would be of showing up there and getting a seat by chance if someone didnt show up? I was away playing in the WPF at foxwoods when they were holding the registration.
  • I played last year and got in on saturday.... but inorder to do it I had to wait in a line that started on friday night at 2:00am.... I was there at 3:00am and was number 7.... it was horrible.... I didn't even know if I was going to get a seat untill 9:30am.... I got my seat at 10:00am and was soooo tired... but what was I to do, the tourney started @ 2:00pm.... I stayed up and played right through.... and my results were bad as you would except!!!

So this year I got in on time!!! I'll see you all on Friday....

Mcdonalds hat, Team Canada Hockey jersey.... Say Hi!!!

-McTib ... aka Eric
  • My experience yesterday ... hope I remember it all, and please, if anyone else played, please chime in with your comments ... sorry in advance for the length.

The set-up is exactly the same as last time. For anyone playing, make sure you're there by 6:15, or you lose your seat, and make sure you bring your confirmation sheet.

I arrived around 5:00, registered, and went for some dinner, arriving back around 6:15. They started seating around 6:30. I was at table 5, seat 9.

I noticed a lot of "regular" 20/40 players ... oh, and Shampoo, fresh off the current cover of CPP, was also there, but not at my table.

Before I begin talking about actual hands, I want to say that once again, I thought they did a great job running the tournament. Very well done all around!

I'd also appreciate any comments on my play (I know I'm not anywhere near the level where I feel I'm an expert player).

My "strategy" was to re-buy as soon as I was under 1,000 chips. Second hand, I limped in (blinds were 10/20 to start) with a suited connector, but didn't hit the flop and folded. Announced my re-buy, which moved me to 1,480 chips.

Didn't see many cards the first orbit. Finally, in LP, beside the button, I picked up KcKh. A couple limped, and I bet 200. Was called by one guy. Flop was 345, all clubs. Checked to me, and I bet 200 again, to see where I stood. Other guy called. Turn was 6s. Other guy bet all-in. Hmmmm ... I didn't think he was playing 22 ... might have been playing 77, but if he was, I still had the flush possibility ... my thinking was I could still re-buy if I lost, so it made the call easier ... he turned over a pair of 10's ... didn't need it, but got another K on the river to take it down.

Wasn't active much at all the rest of the re-buy period. Ended the re-buy period at 2,650, which became 4,650 after the add-on.

Some stats that those of you playing other nights might like to know ... 47 of the 50 players remained after the re-buy period, and they announced that approximately 189,000 chips were in play ... assuming all 47 added-on, that means that there were 90 re-buys of 500 chips. I'd say my table was average.

After the break, again, didn't get much of anything ... when the field was reduced to 40, it was my table that broke, and I was shifted to table 4, seat 7.

Picked up AKs in the first hand at the new table. A couple of folks limped in (blinds were 50/100), so I raised to 1,000 and took it down pre-flop.

Picked up AKs again on the button about 2 orbits later. This time, it was folded to me, so I raised 500. BB called. Flop was a bunch of mixed cards, no A or K, rainbow. Checked to me, I bet another 500, and was called. Turn wasn't any better, so we both checked. River again didn't help. BB was a regular player, who I knew to be a good player. If he bet on the river, I would have a tough decision with just ace-high. He didn't, and I decided to check, and took it down.

Also got AKs later, and took it down pre-flop.

All in all, as was the case most of the night, I was playing very few hands. Not even good bluffing opportunities, other than my semi-bluff on the AKs hand earlier, when the flop didn't hit me.

At the second break, I sat at 5,150 chips. 37 remained, and with 189,000 chips in play, I was basically an average stack.

Field eventually reduced to 30, and another table disappeared (btw, it was busy in the regular poker room, so they opened limit games on the open tables; don't be surprised to see a 2/5 or 5/10 game end up in the tournament area :) ).

One of my "problems" (I have many! :) ) is that the chip leader (or among them) was 2 seats to my left. Also a very good player, who doubled up a few times was immediately to my left, and another very strong player was in seat 10, 3 to my left. I feel that hurt my ability to consider bluffing.

Anyway, 25 remained with the blinds 250/500 ... my stack was being blinded, and I stood at 3,900 chips ... I needed to make something happen, sooner than later ... someone in early position bet 4,000, and I looked down at pocket K's ... figured this was as good a time as any to call all-in ... everyone folded, and I flipped my kings ... other guy flips his, yeah, you guessed it, pocket Aces ... tapped the table, said "good hand", and hoped for a miracle ... a small glimmer of hope on the flop with J9, meaning a 10 or Q would give me other outs with a straight draw, but the turn didn't bring either ... no King on the river sent me home.

I assume, at that point in the night, with my stack, the blinds, and pocket Kings, I made the right call? The other guy seemed like a pretty strong player, didn't play that many hands. The only thing I really feared, of course, were pocket Aces, and I felt I had to take that chance. Comments?

Hung around for a bit, then left just before 20 remained.

All in all, I was pleased with my play. Event cost me $515 in total. Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

Very best of luck to other forum members!!

• A couple of other things ...

Did anyone else from the forum play yesterday? ComaU? If so, how did you do? No one came over to say hi to me, which might have been by design :) so as not to give away yourself, but now that I'm out, I'd be interested in knowing who you were. :)

Also, did anyone stay until the end of the night? Anyone know how late it went, and who the chip leaders were?

• macbb, sounds like you played well and made the right move. You can never kick yourself when you go all in with K's or A's. Thanks for the info on how many players remained and how many chips were in play. What time did you bust out at? I have to work at 7am on Friday...ugh.

I haven't heard from ComaU but when I spoke with him the other day he told me that last year he busted out 14th on the first day when his KK ran into AA. Perhaps I should fold my kings preflop ;)

stp
  • A few things:

1) How long is each round??
    2) Am I right in that a re-buy is $100 for 500 chips and the add on is $200 for 2000 in chips? If so, it looks like the add on is automatic unless you have a ton of chips in front of you.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.
  • Hey MACBB, sounds like you played your game but ran into the only hand you didn't want to see. You played it right and had move in with KK that late in the tourney. The only time I'm laying KK down pre-flop is with 3 or 4 all-ins pre-flop. But heads up you have to make that call.
  • Thanks for the reply guys.

To answer stp's question ...

I busted out in 25th at about 11:15 p.m.

And, yes, maybe folding KK is a good idea :)

• To answer Hammer's questions ...

1) the first 3 levels are 30 minutes each (10/20, 20/40, 30/60) ... then, the re-buy period ends, and you can add-on, and there is a 30 minute break ... from then on, levels are 20 minutes each ... 50/100, 75/150, 100/200 and a 15 minute break ... 150/300, 200/400 and 250/500 and another break ... this is where I busted out ... etc., until 10 people remain ... all of this is shown on the boards, btw.

2) Yes, re-buys are $100 for 500 chips, and the add-on is $200 for 2,000 chips, which is why I believe everyone left at that point took the add-on.

Good Luck,

P.S. Not that it matters, but it was all-men last night ... no ladies ... it just seemed a bit strange to have the announcements start with "Gentlemen ..." ... I'm used to at least a few women at the tables, but I'm sure there will be several at the week progresses.
  • Hey macbb, i read this forum off and on and I was there last night. I was out around 27th, 26th, maybe 24th. I was at table one all night, seat 6, right by the crowd on the balcony. I went all in, my queens ran into kings. Did you ever get to table one? You must've cause I think we had two chip leaders at our table. I don't know what you look like so I wouldn't know.

-Mr.
  • redoak181 wrote:
    I was at table one all night, seat 6, right by the crowd on the balcony.

I started at the same table. I was the guy in the leafs hat and an Adidas hooded sweat shirt. Anyone who played will remember me as I was one of the two people who played with there hood up for most of the tourney.

I rebought twice. I planned on re-buying right away and after I posted my BB I mucked the flop then re-bought. I ran a semi-bluff into a calling station and didnt hit causing me to re-buy again. If I could ever remember the cardnial rule I would be in better shape or at least $100 richer. RULE #1 DO NOT BLUFF CALLING STATIONS!

I was pretty short stacked throughout and was down to 6500TC with 16 players remaining and the blinds at 400/800. I just started picking my spots and pushing pre-flop hoping to pick up the blinds or double up. I have a "rock" image with all of the people I knew at that table so I never once had to take a flop. Its funny how your image changes depending on who your opponets are.

So with 9100 TC and the blinds re-starting at 100/200 I have a little time but not much on Sunday to double up.

For those of you who make it to Sunday you will notice that the blinds go up at a far greater pace.
    100/200
    200/400
    300/600
    Break
    400/800
    500/1000
    600/1200

You get the picture. Time is running out and I NEED CHIPS!

Good Luck to all of the forum members who have yet to play. I hope to be looking across at you guys on the final table.
  • Excellent ComaU, hopefully my results will match yours tommorow night!

stp
  • can't imagine folding KK in that spot and those circumstances.

I does seem odd though that every hand of note for you was AK. Were you not getting any medium to high pp or anything like that.
  • Nice job, ComaU. Tough luck, macbb. I busted last tournament with KK too.

I'll be home this weekend and will stop by to watch some of the tournament while I was for a seat. Who's playing on Friday?
  • Thanks Macbb for answering my questions. I try my luck on Friday.
  • redoak181 wrote:
    Hey macbb, i read this forum off and on and I was there last night. I was out around 27th, 26th, maybe 24th. I was at table one all night, seat 6, right by the crowd on the balcony. I went all in, my queens ran into kings. Did you ever get to table one? You must've cause I think we had two chip leaders at our table. I don't know what you look like so I wouldn't know.

-Mr.

I was never at that table. Just went from Table 5 to Table 4. I assumed the guy two to the left of me was the chip leader, based on what his stack looked like, and what they announced, but maybe he was a close second. :)

• ComaU wrote:
    I started at the same table. I was the guy in the leafs hat and an Adidas hooded sweat shirt. Anyone who played will remember me as I was one of the two people who played with there hood up for most of the tourney.

Good Luck to all of the forum members who have yet to play. I hope to be looking across at you guys on the final table.

Hey ComaU ...

I certainly remember you ... you didn't mention it in your report, but as you probably know from my description, we played at the same table, and you were witness to me busting out. :frown:

When you were moved to my table, and sat down, I actually wondered if you were a forum member ... not sure why I wondered that, but I did. :)

Your discription of your table image was very accurate, and from the time we played together, you seemed like a very solid player.

Heartiest congratuations on making the final day. I know you're relatively short-stacked, but go in with a positive attitude, and knock 'em dead!!

• Forgot to mention ComaU ...

What did the relative chip stacks from Day 1 look like? And, where did your stack place you in the top-10?

Also, did any of the guys playing at the table when I was there make the final 10? IIRC, the guy with the shaved head at seat 9 was the one among the chip leaders when I busted out. I also wonder how the guy who busted me did, since I whispered to him "take care of my chips".

• Jay wrote:
    Nice job, ComaU. Tough luck, macbb. I busted last tournament with KK too.

I'll be home this weekend and will stop by to watch some of the tournament while I was for a seat. Who's playing on Friday?

I will be playing on friday also.

Good Luck
  • Myself and my good friend Jon are in for Friday. GL to everyone who's made the final day... Hope to see you there
  • Myself and my good friend Jon are in for Friday. GL to everyone who's made the final day... Hope to see you there

Good luck tommorow, I'm playing tonight. Wearing a Toronto (says Toronto on it) grey shirt with a plain brown ball cap and my lucky boxers with Ireland all over them...oh you didn't need to know that...Good luck all.

stp
  • Good luck, stp! GO KICK ASS!!!!
  • It's 3:22am and I'm suppose to work in 3 1/2 hours. Got hit by a deer on the way home from Brantford and smashed up the back end of my VW Golf...but who cares about that? I will post a report later and will add my Sunday report to it....Made the final day!!! I was up to 21K in chips, easily third place with about an hour to go and then got a very cold run of cards, finished with 11,400. Made the final day and anything can happen. Thanks for the support, will post report later when brain working better.

stp woohoo!
  • What are the descriptions of those playing on Friday? I'll be on the look out for y'all.

I'm not playing by the way, I just meant that I was going to watch some of the tourney while waiting for a seat in the cash games.