Decent monitor size to 6 table?

Any advice? I currently play 3 tables on my laptop but I guess I should start playing more to make it worth my time.

Comments

• What is your laptop's screen size? After I saw a lady using a 19" Dell laptop to access the Internet wirelessly near a Dominican Republic beach, I want to buy one too. Is there any laptop with a bigger screen than 19"?

What do I need to connect a computer to a 32" LCD HDTV?
    GTA Poker wrote: »
    3 tables on my laptop
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    What is your laptop's screen size? After I saw a lady using a 19" Dell laptop to access the Internet wirelessly near a Dominican Republic beach, I want to buy one too. Is there any laptop with a bigger screen than 19"?

What do I need to connect a computer to a 32" LCD HDTV?

All you need are HDMI or a VGA cable -- I have a 15" I think and am thinking of getting a cheap 22" monitor
  • I now have dual 24". A dell 2407 and a 2408. Was on sale last month for $450 and I couldn't resist having another one. If you want a cheaper one the Dell 2309 was down to like $169 or something like that. But I hate resizing so I go for the high res ones.
  • Do you think you could 6 table adequately (no overlap) on a 22"?
  • I have 12 tabled on a 15.4" (1680x1050). With overlap.

/g2
  • It's a matter of personal preference. If you don't mind overlap then any reasonable size will do. Personally, I have a 22", use a HUD and hate overlapping so more than 4 tabling is not easy on the eyes.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Do you think you could 6 table adequately (no overlap) on a 22"?

Without resizing I only get 4. 1900x1200 Its more about the resolution than the actual size of the monitor I believe.
  • It is definitely abou tthe resolution more than the size of the monitor. You can have a huge monitor yet run a small resolution, and you will not be able to run too many tables without overlap. I was able to get 6 without overlaps on a 22" widescreen before, and 8 with a bit of overlap. Now that I'm running a 27", I can easily get 12 with no overlaps.
  • Yup. Make sure it does 1600x1200 (UXGA) or widescreen 1900x1200 (WUXGA). I run dual 19" UXGA on the desktop and both my laptops are 17" with WUXGA high res as well. That gets you 4 tabling with no overlap without resizing from the std poker table size on all sites.

I got one LCD from here:
    dfsdirect.ca

and the other here:
    http://www.canadamonitors.com/dellfp1.html

Here is a whole setup for you:
    3.6Ghz Dell Precision 380 Dual 20.1 LCDs Bundle - $849.00 : CanadaMonitors.com
  • Thanks for the link. Does anybody know a good deal for a laptop with a high-resolution 19" screen? I have always bought Dell, but its prices seem high when I just want to use the laptop when I'm away from home but need to play a big scheduled tournament. I'm going to check out a forumer's new 19" HP laptop at the rake-free game this Sunday, then will start looking for a laptop to buy.
    moose wrote: »
  • A 19" would weigh a ton. Are you sure it was a 19"? They are pretty rare. Even my 17" is a pain to lug through customs. However, I love my dell vostro 1710.
  • HP is nice but there are power/battery related issues. I'd go with the dell
  • moose wrote: »
    I love my dell vostro 1710.
    I'm thinking of buying one with the following options:

Dell Vostro 1710: Intel® Celeron® 550 (2.0GHz, 1M L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
    Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic, Service Pack 1
    Productivity Software: Microsoft® Office® Basic 2007
    Hardware Support Services CS 2.0 (Module 29): 1 Year Basic Limited Warranty plus 1 Year Mail-in Service
    LCD Panel: 17.0 in UltraSharp™ Widescreen WUXGA LCD Display w/TrueLife
    Camera and Digital Microphone: No Webcam, No Digital Camera Microphone
    Memory: 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM 2GB2D
    Hard Drives: 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Establish Hard Drive Partition: Custom Hard Drive Partition, 40GB Primary, Remainder Secondary
    Optical Drives: 8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+/-R write capability Data Only
    Video Card: Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    Wireless Cards: Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Wi-Fi Internal Card
    Sound Card: High Definition Audio 2.0
    Customized Pictaflex LCD Back: No Customization LCD Option
    External Modem: No Modem is required
    Fingerprint Reader: No UPEK® Fingerprint Reader
    Antivirus/Security Suite (Pre-install): No Anti-Virus/ Security Software
    Primary Battery: 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    Routers and More: D-LINK DIR-615 Wireless N Router
    $1,040 (plus taxes). :-\

Is the wireless router all I need to use my laptop at home with Cogeco Cable?
    Are there any components that I should upgrade or delete? I mainly need the laptop for online poker away from home, but I'll let my daughter use it at home.
  • I'm not a laptop expert, but I have owned 2 HP/Compaq laptops and both died within 2 years of purchase -- small sample but whatever, I'll never buy one of their products again.
  • These days if i'm going to pay +1k for a laptop, it would have to include a core 2 processor.

How much are they selling the router for? You can usually buy it seperately for cheaper, and if you want to go extra cheap probably only need a G router if you only have G cards.

Everything else looks fine
  • The only 19" laptops I know of are gaming laptops, and you definitely don't need the parts those laptops come with..stick with a cheap 17" from Dell.

As far as the one you put together...I'm definitely not paying $1K+ for Celeron. I think it does give you better battery life and its not like poker playing require core dual...but no way am I spending $1k+ for Celeron.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    The only 19" laptops I know of are gaming laptops, and you definitely don't need the parts those laptops come with..stick with a cheap 17" from Dell.

As far as the one you put together...I'm definitely not paying $1K+ for Celeron. I think it does give you better battery life and its not like poker playing require core dual...but no way am I spending $1k+ for Celeron.

+1

Don't waste your money on a Celeron processor. Go with an Intel Core 2 Duo (or Quad) and upgrade the RAM to 4GB (if possible). You won't regret it when you're multi-tabling with PokerTracker or HEM, Pokerstove, IE, and whatever else you use, running.
  • Yes get a core 2 duo. For $20 I think the fingerprint reader is worth it.

Best price on DSL router:
    Canada Computers - Networking > Wireless Adapters : 2Wire 2700HG ADSL DSL Modem Wireless G Router Firewall (Refurbished).

Mine has been working flawlessly for 18 months.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. Here are my new specs:

- Intel Core 2 Duo T5870 (2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    - 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    - $1,180.

I will buy the wireless router and other accessories separately.
    moose wrote: »
  • I also heard that its good karma to trade brand new laptops for older models. So send me that one and i'll send you an old one. You earn 25 xp points, your skill level increases by 1, and your patience factor increases by 2.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Here are my new specs:

- Intel Core 2 Duo T5870 (2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    - 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    - $1,180.

I will buy the wireless router and other accessories separately.

O/S?? Strongly suggest XP Pro...
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I'm not a laptop expert, but I have owned 2 HP/Compaq laptops and both died within 2 years of purchase -- small sample but whatever, I'll never buy one of their products again.

Don't tell me this shit........I just bought one on boxing day
  • compuease wrote: »
    O/S?? Strongly suggest XP Pro...

All Dells only come with Vista IIRC.

*barf* on a $1k+ laptop for poker purposes only...
  • New marketing technique: $50 for a Vista "downgrade" to XP on Vostros.
  • HP is pretty terrible. Had a couple of HP laptops and they are just made of crap quality. I also find that they don't last too long....
  • moose wrote: »
    New marketing technique: $50 for a Vista "downgrade" to XP on Vostros.

Yeah, the Vostros have been XP only for a while, i didn't know they even had an option to be vista.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    All Dells only come with Vista IIRC.
    ummm, Nope. See here..

Dell PCs with Windows XP

FYI, my guess is that Vista will (if it is not already) soon become an orphaned O/S...

Virtually no (or very few at least) North American corporations have or have any plans to convert to Vista. Too many legacy software issues to solve, too high of a maintenance cost, to high of a conversion cost, etc.... I/T depts are all waiting for or evaluating Windows 7 betas as their next platform of choice... Vista provides almost zero advantages...
    Vista has become prevalant in the Home market only because Microsoft has heavily incented the retail and supply chains to limit XP... They hoped to only have to support one O/S, however Microsoft has announced support for XP has been extended through 2014 which is a phenominal 13 years after release. My guess is that it may be supported longer than Vista...

A year ago when XP started to get difficult to find in retail stores I was saying just wait, XP will soon be an upgrade path for Vista owners and it's now coming true. Most manufacturers are providing the ability (and the software licenses to run either Vista Business or XP pro on a lot of their offerings, Dell, Acer, HP, Lenovo, etc... They are calling it a downgrade to go to XP Pro but.........
  • What exactly is so bad about Vista for the avg user? I've only had it about a week or so and haven't run into any problems yet.
  • actyper wrote: »
    What exactly is so bad about Vista for the avg user? I've only had it about a week or so and haven't run into any problems yet.
    It's not so much what is wrong for the avg HOME user because by now for web surfing, email, etc I guess it's ok. It's the corporate world that has not accepted it, for reasons mentioned above. Also there is no advantage to convert and of course the cost of implementation is huge. (as it is for any O/S or major app conversion). I have it on one machine and as long as stick to web, email, online games, etc I'm fine.. But try to get VPN, banking apps, etc running and you're into a myriad of issues. Some are solvable and some not...

Edit to add...
    For those of you who may wish to upgrade from Vista Business (or above), not Vista Home, see here.. This guy describes the process pretty well and any reasonably proficient technical person should be able to do it. (Even though I'm only marginally proficient I've done this upgrade several times using a similar process.)

Upgrading from Windows Vista to WIndows XP
  • Good link.

"Vista comes loaded with "features" that are as annoying as they are useless, User Access Control being a prime example." - Yeah I hate this thing, pretty annoying.