Which statement is Racist

2»

Comments

• g2's Profile
    Referrals: 0
    Bad beat.
    I will NOT vote for xxx because they are purple.
    If your reasoning for not voting for a certain candidate is their colour you are racist.
    I WILL vote for yyy because they are red.
    If your reasoning for voting for a certain candidate is their colour you are racist.

Simple.

/g2
  • I think the term we're looking for here, is reverse racism. That's when you treat someone of another race different, but not in a negative way.

Eg. You never hold doors open for people, but a black lady is walking right behind you, and you decide to get the door for her, because if you don't, people might think that you're being racist by not getting the door for her.
  • tellbox wrote: »
    I think the term we're looking for here, is reverse racism. That's when you treat someone of another race different, but not in a negative way.

Eg. You never hold doors open for people, but a black lady is walking right behind you, and you decide to get the door for her, because if you don't, people might think that you're being racist by not getting the door for her.

Pretty much. But the OP would have us believe that you are racist for holding open the door, which is absurd if we are to hold that racism is a negative thing.
    I don't much care for the term 'reverse racism' because it doesn't make much sense. Something is either racist or it isn't imo.

Also, nobody ever commented on my question - is the NAACP racist?
  • Racism as a concept is neither inherently good or bad (from a moral standpoint)

It is simply a word to identify when actions / beliefs / etc are based solely on the reason of race.

Mark
  • tellbox wrote: »
    I think the term we're looking for here, is reverse racism.
    No, I don't think we are.

I think the term racism fits perfectly actually.

In both A and B the voter is making a decision based on race. Therefore he is exercising racism. See... simple ;)

/g2
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Racism as a concept is neither inherently good or bad (from a moral standpoint)

It is simply a word to identify when actions / beliefs / etc are based solely on the reason of race.

Mark

This is NOT how the term racist or racism is generally used in society. By your standard I agree that both OP statements are racist.
    Looking back, you are the one who posted the dictionary definition. You cannot simply ignore the definition 1. and accept only def. 2. Even that #2 definition relies on a very negative use of the word discrimination.
    There's a reason #1 is, well, #1.
  • Society's common usage doesn't make it right. I guess it depends on HOW you want this question answered....

Are they both a racist statement based on the definition of the term? Yes

Are they both a racist statement based on how most people would answer? Maybe

Mark
    Society's common usage doesn't make it right. I guess it depends on HOW you want this question answered....

Are they both a racist statement based on one possible definition of the term? Yes

Are they both a racist statement based on how most people would answer? Maybe

Mark

Society's common usage makes up one definition, doesn't it? Probably the most important definition, really. I mean, gay has several definitions too.
  • Personally...

If I had to base my beliefs / life / definitions on the masses, I'd probably shoot myself.

Mark
    Personally...

If I had to base my beliefs / life / definitions on the masses, I'd probably shoot myself.

Mark

Fine do whatever you want then, you racist. (note that I'm not using the masses definition, i'm using my own, secret definition). Note also that this makes me look insane.
  • Haha

Clearly BigMike's never met me if he thinks calling me insane somehow hurts...

:)

Are you going to be at Royal Cup? I'd like to buy you a beer!

Mark
  • I'm sure we're all aware that this is not groundbreaking discussion we're having.

Jerry Seinfeld: Hello? Who is this? Donna Chang? Oh, I'm sorry, I must have dialed the wrong number.
    Elaine Benes: Donna Chang?

Jerry: Should have talked to her. I love Chinese women.

Elaine: Isn't that a little racist? Jerry If I like their race, how can that be racist?

-- Seinfeld Episode #90, The Chinese Woman, Oct. 13, 1994.
    Haha

Clearly BigMike's never met me if he thinks calling me insane somehow hurts...

:)

Are you going to be at Royal Cup? I'd like to buy you a beer!

Mark

I really didn't mean to call you insane, though I see how you inferred that. You're just wrong about racism ;)

Yes I will be there, playing for Waterloo 1, I think. :)
  • The NAACP is what society would probably call small "r" racist. I say this in the context that Women-only health clubs are small "s" sexist. They both technically fit the definition of the word, I guess, but no one really cares except the loons who like to pick nits.
  • Big Mike wrote: »
    I'm sure we're all aware that this is not groundbreaking discussion we're having.

Jerry Seinfeld: Hello? Who is this? Donna Chang? Oh, I'm sorry, I must have dialed the wrong number.
    Elaine Benes: Donna Chang?

Jerry: Should have talked to her. I love Chinese women.

Elaine: Isn't that a little racist? Jerry If I like their race, how can that be racist?

-- Seinfeld Episode #90, The Chinese Woman, Oct. 13, 1994.

That, I believe, is what is called a walk off home run. Not even a Sidler could argue with that!
  • I guess 'both' could sound racist. :-\