Where can you get the best....

Hey all

So as to not hijack the Angus burger thread, I figured (Kristy suggested) that I start this thread. Basically, I'm looking for people's suggestions on where to go for the best (insert food here)..

My picks:

Pizza - Pepi's Pizza (Kitchener / Waterloo)
Burgers - LA Frank's (Cambridge - Water street near Parkhill)
Nachos - Ice Park (Cambridge - Franklin Street)
Breakfast - Country Boy's (Kitchener, Manitou & Courtland)
Wings - St. Louis Bar and Grill (Kitchener - Fairway)

Mark

Comments

• Pizza: agree Pepi's

Burgers: (vegetarian) I used to like Kelsey's..do they still exist, the one on Highland is closed?

Nachos: My kitchen

Breakfast: Charcoal steak house buffet. Country boy is disgusting..do not eat there- half-rotten overpriced junk, you could cook better for yourself in half the time it takes you to get a table.

Wings: Never had them.

Chinese food: Lai Lai's -not only am I told their meat dishes are awesome; but they can make anything on the menu vegetarian and have amazing staff. The decor is a little lacking, def. not a 'date place'

All time fav. restaurant: Rain Tree café (in the same plaza as Phil's bar, beside the gallery) Small, but awesome food- venus dip ftw!
  • Wings - Belfast Lounge, Dixie & Eglinton
    Thai - Thai House 2, Lakeshore, Miss.
    Burgers - Swiss Chalet, Officially no flaming until you've tried them.
    Breakfast - Dim Sum at the Emerald, Eglinton & Hurontario is tha nuts..
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Burgers - Swiss Chalet, Officially no flaming until you've tried them.

They also do a pretty good veggie burger there too.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Wings - St. Louis Bar and Grill (Kitchener - Fairway)

Morty's on King > St. Louis, on all points, price, size, taste
  • Pizza - hands down, its Toppers!!! Isnt' one in Brampton, but I have made the drive to Georgetown to get it!

Ribs - nothing better I have found than homemade. There was a place in Niagra on my honeymoon, Pat & Mario's I think it was called...damn good!

Chicken - again, home bbq is the ONLY way to go here

Chinese - if you ever go to Mount Forest, there's one on the south end of town just past Hwy 6 & 89 intersection...can't remember the name of it offhand, but its the best I've found by far

Burgers - Licks, but I don't go there too much.

Breakfast - Giggling Tomatoes, 2 locations in Brampton

All You Can Eat - Tuckers Marketplace...good food (not great), decent prices, but abundance!! Perfect for the over indulger like myself ;)

Nachos - homemade...will NOT eat them outside of home

Wings - haven't found a really good place yet...used to be a strip club in Kitchener back in my youth that had an amazing wing, served on perverts row too...think its closed now though

Vegetarian - me?? hahahahahahahahaha ;)
  • Pizza - I don't eat pizza
    Burgers - Webbers (Orillia)
    Breakfast - 50's (Cambridge)
    Wings - Juniors Bar & Grill (Cambridge - Avenue Rd and Franklin Blvd)
  • wow hobbes was up here in the north, lol why did you not tell me mister:)

Hobbes wrote: »
    Pizza - I don't eat pizza
    Burgers - Webbers (Orillia)
    Breakfast - 50's (Cambridge)
    Wings - Juniors Bar & Grill (Cambridge - Avenue Rd and Franklin Blvd)
  • Jerk Chicken - Sunrise Restaurant (various locations around the GTA).... prob my favorite meal
  • Morty's on King > St. Louis, on all points, price, size, taste

Morty's is the place for wings.....by far.....
  • Burger - Wimpy's, Hwy 24 Cambridge
    Ribs - Montana's
    Sushi - Samura, Hwy 24 Cambridge
    Pizza - have yet to find good Pizza, cheap, but not good. I can't give it to Pepi's - canned mushrooms, no way. Tomatoes that are more like ground up brushchetta topping, ugh.
    Wings - my fav place closed, so Archie's in Cambridge. Just went to Morty's and the wings reeked of month old oil. Yuck.
    Breakfast - Fabulous 50's Diner, Cora's - but it's not cheap, both on Hwy 24 Cambridge
    Chinese AYCE - King's Buffet for lunch - best deal going.
  • 800OVER wrote: »
    Morty's is the place for wings.....by far.....

Actually you need to venture to Baden for Wednesday nights at EJ's. Be advised to make reservations and the deal starts at 8pm.

NOTHING like it around K-W.
  • moose wrote: »
    Chinese AYCE - King's Buffet for lunch - best deal going.

The Cambridge one that opened not too long ago? I know the owner :D
  • Actually you need to venture to Baden for Wednesday nights at EJ's. Be advised to make reservations and the deal starts at 8pm.

EJs? Smullys is closer no? If I remember the wings were decent there.
  • +1 on the King's buffet...

And from what I hear on Morty's, it used to be MUCH better than currently (past year or so)... also, I prefer "dry" wings where I don't get all messy, hence the love for St. Louis

Mark
    EJs? Smullys is closer no? If I remember the wings were decent there.

Smullys?
  • Isn't that the name of the bar in Tavistock (may be closed down)....

I thought you were in Shakespeare.

Good wings none-the-less.
    Isn't that the name of the bar in Tavistock (may be closed down)....

I thought you were in Shakespeare.

Good wings none-the-less.

Ah, yes. I only ever knew it as the Arlington......and I can't say I ever tried the food there.
  • Actually you need to venture to Baden for Wednesday nights at EJ's.

+1...slow(ish) service but great Wings and Nachos (FULL BAKING SHEETS!!) Also many great beers on tap.

Burgers: Jonnys in Victoria Park Road in North York or The Grill in Waterloo.

Breakfast: Angies Diner (St Agatha). Mark CB hasn't been great in 10 years.

Pizza: Pepis (2x Bacon and Hot Peppers)

Anything else: Ethal's Lounge...$2 Taco Tuesday, Full Moon Wing Ding. Seriously I'm probably going to die in that joint.
  • Pizzas - are all the same since Frank's Pizza went under 15 - 20 years ago, so no vote here.
    Burgers - have to go with Webber's in Orillia, as much for the experienc as for the quality of the food.
    Nachos - Shoeless Joe's in the Bramalea City Centre, but only if you get it with the chili
    Wings - used to have to come from Spot One, but the last place that ruled was Buffalo Bob's out of Turtle Jack's (dry wings)
    Breakfast - Have to second AJ's pick of Giggling Tomatoes. Went there with my wife's Mom et al for Mother's Day brekkie. Yummy.
    Chinese - Have to go with Golden Lake in Southgate Plaza. Handmade egg rolls/spring rolls FTW.
  • Morty's has been slacking for the last year or so. Used to be much better.

Zeke's (Kitchener) also has fantastic wings. Never actually been to the restaurant, but I always steal leftovers from the 'rents.

/g2
  • Is the Lanc still open on Lancaster in Kitchener?? Used to make amazing Flying Pig Wings.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Burgers: Jonnys in Victoria Park Road in North York or The Grill in Waterloo.

Definitely +1 for Johnny's on that one.

AYCE Sushi - Sushi Island (College & Bathurst)
    Wings - All Stars (a couple locations in t.dot)

+1 for Lai Lai's too. Good food, nice owners.

Kristy...have you ever tried Lotus Tea House for Chinese vegetarian food?
  • TiMSuM wrote: »
    +1 for Lai Lai's too. Good food, nice owners.

Kristy...have you ever tried Lotus Tea House for Chinese vegetarian food?

Yeah, they're awesome too! Really nice little restaurant, very comfortable and relaxing atmosphere.
  • Might as well add my 2 cents..

Pizza - Pepi's (though, can't do it often.) - Water St. in Kitchener
    Chinese - Lai Lai - IMHO the only good place in the area, everything else tastes bland in comparison.

Wings, Beer, Cheesecake, Chicken Fingers - Castle on King, Kitchener; this place is amazing, all micro-brew beer with the only cask beer available in the area, an amazing selection, the wings are big, cooked perfectly and not overloaded in coating, the chicken fingers are tender and the cheesecake is homemade from the owner's wife. If you ever go when the feature is "Beef Roulandi", don't pass it up. Can't recommend it enough.

Used to be a Morty's fan, but I find them inconsistent. Most of the time they're overcooked and nothing but oily coating; I have a hard time stomaching them now.

Thai - Salad King in Toronto.. it's the closest place to Waterloo that does good Thai, everything around here is either Viet/Thai or is really bad (Thai Sun)

Buffet - I like King's.

Breakfast - I still like Benny's even though it's really generic. Favorite outside the city is a place in a small town called Belmont. They do a buffet on the weekend and everything tastes like my mom made it. Amazing stuff.

Sushi - Yummyaki - got a love a place where the chef comes out and talks down to someone with us because she wanted to make an alteration on a dish. Great food.

Burger - Haven't found a place that tops a joint I used to go to in Toronto many years ago, so I'm going to pass on this one.

Mexican - Ethel's Lounge.

Seriously, though, Castle on King. Go now.
  • Zithal wrote: »
    Might as well add my 2 cents..

Wings, Beer, Cheesecake, Chicken Fingers - Castle on King, Kitchener; this place is amazing, all micro-brew beer with the only cask beer available in the area, an amazing selection, the wings are big, cooked perfectly and not overloaded in coating, the chicken fingers are tender and the cheesecake is homemade from the owner's wife. If you ever go when the feature is "Beef Roulandi", don't pass it up. Can't recommend it enough.

Bingo! And an EJ's at Baden spin-off. The owner was a server there for many years before opening his own place.

Tell Harry (the owner) that Lix says "hi" next time you're there.
  • More from Brampton...

Pizza - Pizza Depot on Peter Robertson. They also have a location around the corner that's fully vegetarian (i.e. no meat on premises). OR, for old school Bramalea residents....McKay Pizza

Fish & Chips - Heritage Fish & Chips

Fries & Gravy - Sunny's on Queen (but only applicable later than 1:00 a.m. I cannot vouch for Sunny's during the day).

Indian - Bombay Bhel on Queen. Really yummy, not at all greasy like a lot of local Indian food.

Breakfast - you Giggling Tomatoes lovers have obviously never been to Flips (Main & Bovaird). Best breakfast, hands down.
  • ElElliott wrote: »
    Breakfast - you Giggling Tomatoes lovers have obviously never been to Flips (Main & Bovaird). Best breakfast, hands down.

mmmmm Flips :)
    Haven't been there in a couple of years.
  • ElElliott wrote: »
    Fish & Chips - Heritage Fish & Chips.

Without a doubt!!! Best Fish & Chips going! Excellent!
    ElElliott wrote: »

Will have to check this place out, but with my luck with Flips at the RC's, might be disappointed ;)
  • Sorry guys, have to disagree with the Giggling Tomatoes.

I dont do well with the whole cafeteria line / serve yourself environment.

Food was good though.
  • Best/Cheap All U Can Eat Places...,

Korean BBQ - Korean Grill (downtown, yonge & college)..., a-u-c-e bbq beef, chicken, pork, seafood, all the trimmings including soft drinks $7.99 lunch $12.99 dinner (dinner includes short ribs).

Sushi - Maki Maki (Mississauga, burnhamtorpe & creditview/central pkwy)...., a-u-c-e rolls, sushis, sashimis, hand rolls, appetizers etc etc... unlimited soft drinks and desserts $12.99 lunch $19.99 dinner (recommend dinner better menu selection IMO).

Chinese $5.00 menus - Sun Sun Chinese Restaurant (Mississauga, china town @ Dundas and Tomken)..., If you go after 9pm any day, they have a menu where all dishes are $5@ ranges from fried rice, noodles, entrees, dim sums, etc.

Seafood happy hour menu - Sundays @ Lucy's Seafood (several locations around GTA). A separate menu on Sundays where you can get seafood regular meals for as little as $5 per plate.

Pasta - Open Cork (mississuga @ 427 and Dundas) includes a selection of a-u-c-e pastas including salad and garlic bread all for $10.99 on Tuesdays.

Ribs - Tony Romas (several locations around GTA) a-u-c-e ribs for as little as $11.99 for riblings to as far up as $20.99 for beef ribs.

Let me know if you need more...