Poker Stars, SNG Leaderboard-

There was the threat of a Side bet on this, but, none have surfaced.

Anyone hit the top 100 at any of the levels? (I have seen ryanhall's #'s at the 199-300 level. Top 10 in both low and high orbit).

Anyone else have any stories to tell? After 2 weeks, any difference in the games you would play re: > pts?

D

Comments

• Can I have a link to this leaderboard?
  • In the Pokerstars Lobby, click on "request" button.

From there, there is a link to "SNG Leaderboard" and your own SNG Points.
  • i was 75th in the high orbit for venus last week (julesdAA)
  • A buddy of mine got top 50 in the lowest one (mercury i think) in the first week and I hit top 75 for mars in high orbit this past week - just grinding out some games and getting confidence back and also rebuilding bankroll after withdrawing a big chunk for Vegas.
  • I am not a big fan of this leaderboard. It's making the high stakes games really crappy. I'm sure eventually people will get sick of it and leave, though.

I ended up 6th in high orbit 100+ (whooppee?) for $300 and a ticket into that tournament.
  • to tell you the truth, i was on a crazy run the first week (placed in the money in my first 7 games), then didn't get a chance to finish 20 in the week (was still writing exams for university). now i'm done though and i really have no excuse. this week (or next) i'll make sure to finish 20 and we'll see where i end up.
  • ryanghall wrote: »
    I am not a big fan of this leaderboard. It's making the high stakes games really crappy. I'm sure eventually people will get sick of it and leave, though.

I ended up 6th in high orbit 100+ (whooppee?) for $300 and a ticket into that tournament.

how does this make the high stakes games crappy?
  • was in top 100 yesterday afternoon, but obv not now, have only played 3 games this week so far, so will see how it goes.
  • What I don't like is it doesn't show the leaders' points, so you don't know how far off you are. Is there a leaderboard I haven't found that shows points for the leaders and you as well?
    Never mind...found it. Consider me edited. :)
  • To say you need to run hot is an understatement. I had not played many Stars sit and gos recently (played a bunch 2-3 years ago at the $20-30 level) , but decided to give this a shot.

I chose the $10 level as that seems to be the highest range where Omaha hi lo PL ones start in a reasonable time. Last week I completed 20 of the 10+1 with 12 being NL and 8 being Omaha.

I placed in the money 15 of 20 times though I did only have 2 outright wins. I did 19 of the 9 person variety and tried a 27 person one for my last one as I needed points to make the top 30 (did not cash in it).

Overall was up about $100, 50% ROI, and got around 385 points and did not even come close to the top 30 :O

Kind of similar pattern this week so far, 9 cashes in 14 and still way off the pace.

I have been stunned at the poor level of play. Ace rag preflop and top pair any kicker seems to be the immortal nuts for many players. Play was more passive then I expected as well.

I may try for a 100 block next week, but I would just consider this promotion as a nice potential bonus for regular sit and go players if they run insanely hot.
  • i guess i agree to an extent that to place first or probably even in top ten you need to run pretty well for a decent amount of games. let's consider the mercury level low orbit leaderboard from last week:

some random point totals (from the leaderboard):
    1st = 597 points
    10th = 535 points
    50th = 459
    100th = 429

average points per game:
    1st = 29.85
    10th = 26.75
    50th = 22.95
    100th = 21.45

number of wins (i.e. 1st place finishes) required (if playing only 9-person sngs) (low orbit is out of 20 games):
    1st = 13.3 (out of the points 6.7 times)
    10th = 11.9 (out of the points (8.1 times)
    50th = 10.2 (out of the points 9.8 times)
    100th = 9.5 (out of the points 10.5 times)

number of wins required (if playing only 18-person sngs):
    1st = 9.8 (out of the points 10.2 times)
    10th = 8.8 (out of the points (11.2 times)
    50th = 7.5 (out of the points (12.5 times)
    100th = 7.0 (out of the points (13 times)

number of wins required (if playing half 9-person, half 18-person sngs):
    1st = 6.6 (of 9-person) 4.9 (of 18-person) (out of the points 8.5 times)
    10th = 5.9 (of 9-person) 4.4 (of 18-person) (out of the points 9.7 times)
    50th = 5.1 (of 9-person) 3.8 (of 18-person) (out of the points 11.1 times)
    100th = 4.8 (of 9-person) 3.5 (of 18-person) (out of the points 11.7 times)

the most last place in the points finishes possible (if playing only 9-person sngs) (on average):
    1st = 10 thirds (with 10 firsts)
    10th = 12 thirds (with 8 firsts)
    50th = 15 thirds (with 5 firsts)
    100th = 16 thirds (with 4 firsts)

the most last place in the points finishes possible (if playing only 18-person sngs) (on average):
    1st = 13 fifths (with 7 firsts)
    10th = 15 fifths (with 5 firsts)
    50th = 16 fifths (with 4 firsts)
    100th = 17 fifths (with 3 firsts)

the most last place in the points finishes possible (if playing half 9-person, half 18-person sngs):
    yeah, i was considering doing the math for this, but i gave up since it was going to be slightly a pain in the ass.

in any case, it seems that looking at the numbers you're probably looking at around 7-10 (8-11) first place finishes on average (out of 20 games) in order to place in the top ten, not to mention at least around 3-5 other points finishes. therefore, out of 20 games, you're pretty much needing to be in the points 10-15 (11-16) times or so.
  • This whole thing is easy, just win the Battle of the Planets ;)

Ryan
  • lol I tried this thing for the first time. Opened up 3 $16 turbos. Got completely bamboozled. F these!
  • ryanghall wrote: »
    This whole thing is easy, just win the Battle of the Planets ;)

Ryan

Only if it was that easy ;)
  • Just finished my 20 for this week, Venus level ($5.50's)

477 points...looks like I'm ranking 7th at the moment. Hopefully the points hold!

Jeez I had to run good...

First: 6
    Second: 5
    Third: 4

+$128.50
  • Blah..got bumped to 13th...+$40 bonus. I wanted that ticket to the shootout tourney!
  • well i am at 178 points this week after only 6 games, so will see if i can get close.
  • Still a good run, Timsum. Nicely done
  • yeah i'm so lazy and i still haven't played enough of these in one week. on the bright side i won a $5.50 5 card draw tourney on stars yesterday, so at least the money is still flowing in ;)
  • 194 points now after only 8 games played, 100th has 378 as of last night, so will keep plugging along and see what happens, only 2 more first places in a 27 man tourny and i am there. lol
  • ooooooooook so i am at 314 points after 13 games, less then 100 points from cracking the leaderboard and 200 from like 1st place, and i bubbled twice today so could have been even closer.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    ooooooooook so i am at 314 points after 13 games, less then 100 points from cracking the leaderboard and 200 from like 1st place, and i bubbled twice today so could have been even closer.

How'd you finish?

Trying for it again this week. Moved up levels though, playing the $11, 9-man regulars. We'll see how I fare.
  • finished with 389 points, just fell short :(, about 30 points from being on it and 60 points from getting bonus money, but at least i was able to cash out for the 2 nd time in 2 weeks from pokerstars as i reached 1 of my poker goals.

i also may move up to 11 buy in and give it a try but will see what happens, not going for it this week maybe next week.
  • okay, i'm issuing a challenge to myself. i think i'm going to try to make the leaderboard playing only 5 card draw 6 person SNGs. i've tried these a couple times and it is seriously scary how bad people play in these things. although half of the games i played fell into last week, i've played 8 games and cashed in 7 (winning 4 of them). the one i lost i was on the bubble. gl to me!
  • good idea, ya i cashed reg in these as well, have not played in these in a while mind ya.

mostly play 50 cent 1 dollar up to 2 4 dollar 5 card draw cash right now.

m_dolens wrote: »
    okay, i'm issuing a challenge to myself. i think i'm going to try to make the leaderboard playing only 5 card draw 6 person SNGs. i've tried these a couple times and it is seriously scary how bad people play in these things. although half of the games i played fell into last week, i've played 8 games and cashed in 7 (winning 4 of them). the one i lost i was on the bubble. gl to me!
  • Bah...Somehow managed to only get 1 third in my last 12 games of the 100 block at the Earth level. Had a real good shot at taking it. Currently 13th for the big $40.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    ooooooooook so i am at 314 points after 13 games, less then 100 points from cracking the leaderboard and 200 from like 1st place, and i bubbled twice today so could have been even closer.

After 13 games this week, in Venus, I am sitting just over 300 points (similar to above). Not sure how many wins I've had but I have obv. been running pretty hot. With 7 games to go I could crack the top 100, just going to continue playing solid luckboxy poker and see what happens. Would be a nice brag to crack the top 100/40/10....

stp
  • stpboy wrote: »
    Would be a nice brag to crack the top 100/40/10....

stp

Been there done that, although it was the very first week of the promo :D
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Been there done that, although it was the very first week of the promo :D

Ditto. LOL

I completely forgot about the SNG Leaderboard since the DoN's came out. Taking a break from the DoN's (got rocked in the past week) and trying for these again.

Also realized that to get into the top 100/40/10 in the low-orbit you HAVE to run extremely good at the 9-mans, but not as good if you grind out 100 for the high-orbit.

It's almost better playing the 27-man SNG's to get into the top for the low-oribt leaderboard.
  • Wasn't sure what you meant by Don's so looked em' up. Those are the double or nothing tournaments on stars where top 5 get paid equally and the other 5 get nothing. Apparantly the rake on these is 10%. They also do not qualify for the battle of the planets. Anyone find profit in these?....I guess you should start a new thread <person that is about to respond to my q>

stp