Am I a pussy? Bottom end of a straight

2»

Comments

• First of all, pkrfce9 was correct that there was important information missing to do a proper analysis. Anyway, you do NOT have good implied odds to call on the flop. You actually have REVERSE implied odds where hitting your weak hand can easily cost you money. With the possible flush draw and straight on the flop, you wouldn't usually want to call a pot-sized bet with just the "dummy" end of a gutshot straight draw. Any 8, 6, spade or even a King (vs. JQ) on the turn could be bad for you. You'll win only the mininum if you are ahead, but you can lose a lot of money mistakenly thinking that you are ahead.

Given your read that villain is not a bluffer, I would check-fold on the turn. Since you bet 2/3 of the pot instead and got min-raised, I would make a crying call with the $90 pot and hope that the river is checked. Did he have the higher straight?
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    When I called on the flop, I thought my hand would be good if I hit my straight due to implied odds as he had a healthy stack and I figured I might be able to double through him.
    :
    should I even be chasing the bottom end of a straight in a cash game or is this a disaster in the making?
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    First of all, pkrfce9 was correct that there was important information missing to do a proper analysis. Anyway, you do NOT have good implied odds to call on the flop. You actually have REVERSE implied odds where hitting your weak hand can easily cost you money. With the possible flush draw and straight on the flop, you wouldn't usually want to call a pot-sized bet with just the "dummy" end of a gutshot straight draw. Any 8, 6, spade or even a King (vs. JQ) on the turn could be bad for you. You'll win only the mininum if you are ahead, but you can lose a lot of money mistakenly thinking that you are ahead.

Given your read that villain is not a bluffer, I would check-fold on the turn. Since you bet 2/3 of the pot instead and got min-raised, I would make a crying call with the $90 pot and hope that the river is checked. Did he have the higher straight?

I know, the call on the flop was not a good move. I don't chase these type of hands. Why check fold on the turn? Its $20 and you may be winning still? No he didn't have a straight, he was chasing the flush which he missed. That is what pissed me off as I was winning the hand, although I wouldn't have made any more money on the river anyways.