SnG - Card dead

So... I just got blinded off a 9 person turbo sng...
Now... I kinda HAD to go all-in at that point (I think...) and I'd like to know where I shoulda acted to *try* and make a stand or which hand I shoulda played since this isn't the first time it happens.... (it kinda happens all the time lol)

Alright...

First hand :
Qc5c (SB) - Someone raises 4bb everyone folds - I fold.
4s8d - bunch of limpers - Fold
Qs6h - some limpers - Fold
Kh2s - 4bb raise - Fold
8h7c - I think I shoulda at least limped on this in middle pos but ... - fold
7h9h - 3bb raise - fold
7d5d - 2 limpers - fold
Qh8d - 3bb raise - fold
Ad2h (BB) - only the SB calls - I check (KJ3 rainbow flop - 5 turn 2 river - he best 30 - fold)
3c4d (SB) - 3bb raise - fold
9sTd - 3bb raise - fold
5c3d - fold
4d2s - fold
Ts7h - fold
4sTh - fold
9h4s - fold
8hTs - fold
8s4d - fold
8hTs (BB) 3bb raise - fold
8s4d (SB) fold (it's a 50 call at this lvl)
TcJc 3bb raise - I Call flop T7A rainbow - Everyone checks turn 4 some guy bets 200 - I fold)
Qh6s - fold
Ks5c - fold
9c2d - fold
3s5c - fold
5d9d - fold
ThQc (BB) I die to KK

Comments

• You need two gears. One where you play based on your cards and one where you don't.

Did you consider taking one of your nothings hands up against a similar stack in the BB?
  • InsaneGuy wrote: »
    Ad2h (BB) - only the SB calls - I check (KJ3 rainbow flop - 5 turn 2 river - he

I don't see a lot here. 1 opportunity above to at least raise the limped blind. Sounds like there wasn't much raising going on. Bad cards obviously but you needed to try some steals in late position instead of blinding away. Tough cards InsaneGuy
  • Gonna need a lot more info than this... i suggest putting it into a hand replayer if you want to get helpful responses
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    You need two gears. One where you play based on your cards and one where you don't.

Did you consider taking one of your nothings hands up against a similar stack in the BB?

Well I agree to a certain point... there's a raise preflop... are you going to call or even re-raise the raiser with 810o ?
    I agree that at one point you have to play position but when I was the button/B-1 I got the worse card ...

4s8d
    9sTd (ok not too bad but ... call a 3bb raise there?)
    Jc10c (already a 3bb raise - call I hit my 10 but geez 2 callers in the hand and there's an ace on the flop do you risk it all there?)
  • _obv_ wrote: »
    Gonna need a lot more info than this... i suggest putting it into a hand replayer if you want to get helpful responses

A hand replayer?
    There's alot of hand... do you have something that won't clog the site with a bunch of images and such ? Or just simple links ?
    Now... I kinda HAD to go all-in at that point (I think...) and I'd like to know where I shoulda acted to *try* and make a stand or which hand I shoulda played since this isn't the first time it happens.... (it kinda happens all the time lol)
    How about any hand that's folded around to you. If you just play the cards in your hand what is your advantage over your opponents?
    InsaneGuy wrote: »
    Alright...

First hand :
    Qc5c (SB) - Someone raises 4bb everyone folds - I fold.
    4s8d - bunch of limpers - Fold
    Qs6h - some limpers - Fold
    Kh2s - 4bb raise - Fold
    8h7c - I think I shoulda at least limped on this in middle pos but ... - fold
    7h9h - 3bb raise - fold
    7d5d - 2 limpers - fold
    Qh8d - 3bb raise - fold
    Ad2h (BB) - only the SB calls - I check (KJ3 rainbow flop - 5 turn 2 river - he best 30 - fold)
    What the fuck? You hit a pair on the river and fold to a minbet? I would have called with just the ace high.
    3c4d (SB) - 3bb raise - fold
    9sTd - 3bb raise - fold
    5c3d - fold
    4d2s - fold
    Ts7h - fold
    4sTh - fold
    9h4s - fold
    8hTs - fold
    8s4d - fold
    8hTs (BB) 3bb raise - fold
    8s4d (SB) fold (it's a 50 call at this lvl)
    TcJc 3bb raise - I Call flop T7A rainbow - Everyone checks turn 4 some guy bets 200 - I fold)
    What the fuck! again? Everyone checked the flop... your 2nd pair is probably good.
    Qh6s - fold
    Ks5c - fold
    9c2d - fold
    3s5c - fold
    5d9d - fold
    ThQc (BB) I die to KK

If you play so tight you really have no business playing turbos.

/g2
  • pokerxfactor has a hand replayer... i think you will need to sign up for a free account to use it... im sure there are others but i think the pokerxfactor one is the most used
  • g2 wrote: »
    How about any hand that's folded around to you. If you just play the cards in your hand what is your advantage over your opponents?

What the fuck? You hit a pair on the river and fold to a minbet? I would have called with just the ace high.

What the fuck! again? Everyone checked the flop... your 2nd pair is probably good.

If you play so tight you really have no business playing turbos.

/g2

Well for all these reasons that I was making this post !
    Usually in single table sng you only need a couple hands to make it to the final 3-4 and then it's a different ball game... I do have some trouble early game making those profitable calls ... I know the odds tell me to call but the guts tells me I'm beaten. or something like "there's no way you'll win with a pair of deuce".
  • Without knowing how short you were for each hand, I can see atleast 4 hands that are shovable.

Depending on the site, you could probably load the hands into SitNGo Wizard and it can help you identify where you should push.
  • the JT hand where you called the raise... fold that pre
    the last hand is a very very standard fold preflop

i think every hand is a fold preflop with the exception of the A2 hand when you were in the BB where the SB limped... you should have raised that up preflop

You didnt blind down in this sng, you bled chips... you still had enough chips to wait for a hand or a spot to shove light
    Now... I kinda HAD to...

i found the problem...
  • PokerStars Game #16244313834: Tournament #82247778 $6.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2008/03/25 - 15:54:51 (ET)
    Table '82247778 1' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
    Seat 1: marco2707 (1535 in chips)
    Seat 2: InsaneGuy (1370 in chips)
    Seat 3: goobretty (1750 in chips)
    Seat 4: crainemann (1298 in chips)
    Seat 5: mad_doggie53 (1923 in chips)
    Seat 6: FourAcesNow (3070 in chips)
    Seat 7: ELIZABETH_27 (1517 in chips)
    Seat 8: grainbelt09 (1037 in chips)
    goobretty: posts small blind 25
    crainemann: posts big blind 50

Holecards:
    Dealt to InsaneGuy [TcJc ]
    RAISE mad_doggie53, 150 to 200
    FOLD FourAcesNow
    FOLD ELIZABETH_27
    FOLD grainbelt09
    FOLD marco2707
    CALL InsaneGuy , 200
    FOLD goobretty
    CALL crainemann, 150

Flop:
    [ Ts7dAc]
    CHECK crainemann:
    CHECK mad_doggie53:
    CHECK InsaneGuy :

How can you not bet here?
    Not betting here is much worse than open pushing with 23o. unless you are trapping.
    Turn:
    [ ] [ ]
    BET crainemann, 200
    FOLD mad_doggie53
    Ok your trap worked ... push all in!
    FOLD InsaneGuy
    crainemann collected 625 from pot

SUMMARY:
    Total pot 625 | Rake 0

What are you waiting for?
  • m_dolens wrote: »
    i found the problem...
    Don't knock them.. I'm winning money about 50% of the time with these..
  • You only need a few hands to make it to top 3 true, but you made it to top three with a piddly little stack. You have to open up your range in mid-game IMO if you want a shot at #1. Otherwise, this happens.
  • zunni74 wrote: »
    Don't knock them.. I'm winning money about 50% of the time with these..

let me clarify. OP stated that he blinded off during a turbo sng and then showed a HH to explain why. i merely pointed out that it was a turbo sng which i would label as the MAIN reason why someone would blind off in such a scenario (as opposed to pushing/getting lucky or pushing/losing).

i don't play turbos as i stated in a previous post - i'm not a gambler, i'm a poker player.
    i don't play turbos as i stated in a previous post - i'm not a gambler, i'm a poker player.

As a poker player aren't you trying to maximize the money you make? If you are a good sng player it makes little sense to play non turbos since you will make more $/hour playing the turbos.
    let me clarify. OP stated that he blinded off during a turbo sng and then showed a HH to explain why. i merely pointed out that it was a turbo sng which i would label as the MAIN reason why someone would blind off in such a scenario (as opposed to pushing/getting lucky or pushing/losing).

turbos are definitely more profitable than non turbos you need to look at the big picture
  • i am aware that turbos allow for the 'chance' to win more money per hour and that's great. however, it is also true that if i played 20+ tables it allows for the 'chance' to win more money per hour. it is also true that if i just jumped up to a much higher level it would allow for the 'chance' to win more money etc. etc.

i'm not looking merely for a 'chance' to win more money, i'm looking for (at least as close to as possible) a guarantee to win money. turbos are mostly push/fold necessarily-luck crapshoots (for arguments sake let's say at least 50% of the time).

is it true that i can win more money per hour (i.e. quicker) - yes i don't doubt or argue this point. is it true that i can lose a lot more money per hour because i'm extremely unlucky - yes obviously. therefore, i'll stick to the slow and steady/more guaranteed money imho.
  • I think for most people playing 20+ tables wouldn't increase their hourly rate. I also think for most people jumping to a much higher level wouldn't increase their hourly rate. I do think that for most winning sng players playing turbos will almost guarantee an increase in hourly rate. Yes there will be more variance so downswings will be bigger but in the long run you will make more $/hour.

The fact that you say turbos are mostly push/fold necessarily-luck crapshoots makes me think you just don't understand push/fold poker and probably play way too tight when the blinds are high and are an easy target for a player that knows what he is doing.
    I think for most people playing 20+ tables wouldn't increase their hourly rate.

this is your opinion. many people play a hell of a lot of tables online and make a lot of money.
    _obv_ wrote: »
    I also think for most people jumping to a much higher level wouldn't increase their hourly rate.

this is your opinion. many people play levels higher than their bankroll should allow and they make a lot of money
    I do think that for most winning sng players playing turbos will almost guarantee an increase in hourly rate.

no one said you said so.
    The fact that you say turbos are mostly push/fold necessarily-luck crapshoots makes me think you just don't understand push/fold poker and probably play way too tight when the blinds are high and are an easy target for a player that knows what he is doing.

and this just makes no sense. i merely stated MY opinion that push/fold poker involves too much luck (i.e. gambling) for my personal taste. why does that suggest that i don't understand push/fold poker. the name itself suggests it's all or nothing/lucks included/poker. that is, one will often have to push with nothing just to stay afloat against the blinds. that to me is highly influenced by luck.

again, i am stating MY opinion on turbos. i would appreciate if you didn't tell me that i don't understand how to play (certain versions) of HE poker merely because i don't favor them (since according to your reasoning, i could easily state that i know more about turbos than you do and that is why you think they are profitable - however, i would not make such a statement as this).

(i apologize if the above was voiced in a derogatory way. i meant no disrespect.)
    this is your opinion. many people play a hell of a lot of tables online and make a lot of money.
    you should be picking the number of tables you play that will maximize your hourly rate... i would say that there aren't more than a few people who have an hourly rate maximizing level of tables of 20+.
    this is your opinion. many people play levels higher than their bankroll should allow and they make a lot of money

the people that play higher than their bankrolls allow don't make a lot of money... they go broke, unless they go on a heater then realize they are playing over their heads and then start playing within their bankroll/skill level

and this just makes no sense. i merely stated MY opinion that push/fold poker involves too much luck (i.e. gambling) for my personal taste. why does that suggest that i don't understand push/fold poker. the name itself suggests it's all or nothing/lucks included/poker. that is, one will often have to push with nothing just to stay afloat against the blinds. that to me is highly influenced by luck.

again, i am stating MY opinion on turbos. i would appreciate if you didn't tell me that i don't understand how to play (certain versions) of HE poker merely because i don't favor them (since according to your reasoning, i could easily state that i know more about turbos than you do and that is why you think they are profitable - however, i would not make such a statement as this).

(i apologize if the above was voiced in a derogatory way. i meant no disrespect.)

i'm suggesting you don't understand push/fold poker because if you did your opinion would be different because you would make more money playing turbos. there is nothing easier than being able to shove any 2 against someone that doesn't understand push/fold poker and will be folding pretty much anything... it is a pretty much risk free way of adding to your stack. I have helped some friends in low stakes turbo sngs and basically all they needed to do to be profitable was shove really wide ranges when the blinds were high... people just don't call as wide as they should be calling.

You are entitled to your opinion but my point is if you want to make more money you should probably be playing the turbo sngs

Also... with regards to this statement... "i would appreciate if you didn't tell me that i don't understand how to play (certain versions) of HE poker merely because i don't favor them" In my mind if you are playing poker to make money and you don't favor a certain type of poker it is for one of 2 reasons... either you don't understand how to play it or if you do understand how to play it you are more profitable elsewhere. Since turbos are more profitable the only reason for not playing them is because you don't understand how to play them
    i'm suggesting you don't understand push/fold poker because if you did your opinion would be different because you would make more money [this is stated as a fact obviously because it is your personal opinion] playing turbos.

consider this the final comment i'm going to make here because i think this is pointless. my post was stating that i just voiced MY opinion vs. YOUR opinion (i.e. you're not wrong, it's just your opinion) and then you accused me of just being stupid pretty much (i.e. i don't understand push/fold poker).

your above comment explains it all. your opinion is just the fact of the matter apparently and my opinion is just wrong because it's not your opinion. if i've learned anything in my life, it's that there's no arguing with this logic.

congratulations. you win.
  • chicken fight!
  • _obv_ is right. <=============period

the major advantage ev you can have right now in sitngos is knowing how to play at HBL (high blind level) not outplaying at LBL (low blind level)

Most people know how to play when the blinds are low by many fewer people know how to play properly when the blinds are high. It really is a different game and not many people know how to play here. This is the level when blinds represent 8% - 15% of your stack and it is where you win sitngos.

Yes sometimes you get good cards and play them well early to the endgame, but you rarely get the opportunity to gain so much more win +equity then the HBL of sitngos.

As more people learn the later stage sitngo strategy then maybe it will make sit n goes not as profitable as they are now.

The fastest way to get to this major area of maximum +ev is by playing turbos.
  • _obv_ is right. <=============period

the major advantage ev you can have right now in sitngos is knowing how to play at HBL (high blind level) not outplaying at LBL (low blind level)

Most people know how to play when the blinds are low by many fewer people know how to play properly when the blinds are high. It really is a different game and not many people know how to play here. This is the level when blinds represent 8% - 15% of your stack and it is where you win sitngos.

Yes sometimes you get good cards and play them well early to the endgame, but you rarely get the opportunity to gain so much more win +equity then the HBL of sitngos.

As more people learn the later stage sitngo strategy then maybe it will make sit n goes not as profitable as they are now.

The fastest way to get to this major area of maximum +ev is by playing turbos.
  • What's the best way to learn to play High Level Blinds?
    I've already read Harrington ... and the two plus two forum... what else do I need to do?
    I've already read Harrington ... and the two plus two forum... what else do I need to do?

Yep.. I'm in the same situation as you...

Assuming this isn't sarcasm, (and I have no clue if it is or isn't) I've asked Graham to add a STT style forum for hand reviews and discussions of SnG play.
    http://www.pokerforum.ca/f15/new-subforum-off-poker-strat-15502/

Show some support if you think it's worth having a separate area to discuss the STT gameplay mechanics.
  • zunni74 wrote: »
    Assuming this isn't sarcasm, (and I have no clue if it is or isn't) I've asked Graham to add a STT style forum for hand reviews and discussions of SnG play.
    http://www.pokerforum.ca/f15/new-subforum-off-poker-strat-15502/

Show some support if you think it's worth having a separate area to discuss the STT gameplay mechanics.

Not this isn't sarcasm.
    I suspect the answer lies in sngpt and icm