MTT Rebuy

A bit of backgroud. I said to hell with it for multi tabling STT's, It was getting way too much like work and I wasn't enjoying poker anymore. So I'm focusing on MTT's and enjoying poker again. I'm trying to work on losening up my game a bit ( hence the 62os post) but it's not coming easily.

Only a couple of minutes from the end of rebuy here. Large field, big payouts. People obviously get a little crazy here. Options are: take a chance to be a top ten stack coming out of rebuy period or just fold and be well ahead of average.

What's your move?

PokerStars Game #12716588103: Tournament #63957673, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2007/10/19 - 08:57:17 (ET)
Table '63957673 73' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: zoli_star (2635 in chips)
Seat 2: pandamancan (9030 in chips)
Seat 3: homelander (3535 in chips)
Seat 4: Akala16 (14035 in chips)
Seat 5: SSYJE (1990 in chips)
Seat 6: samix86 (570 in chips)
Seat 7: yoramblit (3600 in chips)
Seat 8: storballet (4685 in chips)
Seat 9: bocafoka (3300 in chips)
homelander: posts small blind 50
Akala16: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Akala16 [Ac Qh]
SSYJE: folds
samix86: raises 470 to 570 and is all-in
yoramblit: folds
storballet: calls 570
bocafoka: folds
zoli_star: folds
pandamancan: raises 8460 to 9030 and is all-in
homelander: folds
Akala16:

Comments

• Tough decision, but personally, I would fold here and wait for the desperate donks to kill each off abit more. You have a good stack right now, why risk it against AK+ 1010+?
  • I agree with the Ching hill guru here

No need to risk that much of your stack on an easily dominated hand.

Mark
  • Easily dominated by what? AA, KK, QQ, AK? That's four hands. Your goal is to capitalize on mistakes. Why would this dude put all his chips at risk for 1300 in the pot? Even with no read here, I put this guy down for an (excessive) isolation raise. Even if I am wrong, I'm still 2nd in chips at the table, with an addon coming.

Are we trying to win the tournament or make ~$20 for our 3 hours+ invested?

We should always be playing for stacks here and if our opponent is willing to put them in first, we should be willing to take them from him.
  • Oops.. I misread...

I thought he'd said the rebuy had just ended....

That makes it tougher... guess it's another "depends" then...

Mark
  • I think it's the size of the stacks that makes the answer to the question. It's not just abut your current stack size or the person who shoved, but more about the stacks of the other players. Waterloo's point of still ending up second even if I lose means something. I'd probably try this for that reason. I still have enough chips to play some push poker against the rest of the table. If it was going to move me to the middle of the pack, I'd probably fold it. I like having opportunities like this when they arise. They don't happen too often but are nice to see when they do.
  • zunni74 wrote: »
    Waterloo's point of still ending up second even if I lose means something.

Damn you /g2!
  • moose wrote: »
    Easily dominated by what? AA, KK, QQ, AK? That's four hands. Your goal is to capitalize on mistakes. Why would this dude put all his chips at risk for 1300 in the pot? Even with no read here, I put this guy down for an (excessive) isolation raise. Even if I am wrong, I'm still 2nd in chips at the table, with an addon coming.

Are we trying to win the tournament or make ~$20 for our 3 hours+ invested?

We should always be playing for stacks here and if our opponent is willing to put them in first, we should be willing to take them from him.

Wow, I guess I am weak here.

Yes dominated by AA-QQ -AK , but also behind any pair AND probably way behind as small stack is 50% to have AX.

Without a read here why would you want to take a marginal coin flip?

With the bigger stack you have more weapons post flop, why would you want to risk loosing those tools on a gamble?

Maybe if you had a lower stack and could rebuy+addon take the gamble to drastically improve your position. However, 14k to 23K at the 50/100 level isn't going to drastically improve your position, however dropping to 5K is going to reduce your position.

Maybe Im just weak tight.
  • Last few mins. of rebuy is the reason I fold.

You've already reached your first obj. and built a fantastic stack, you're good to go now.

FWIW I probably fold AKs here too, gambling like that when you've already completed your job for the rebuy period would be silly.
  • Remember you're also racing behind any pocket pair, and you have to consider that as well. Why put so much of your hard earned stack on a coin flip, and still you could be easily dominated by those 4 hands Moose demonstrated? With the rebuy coming soon, your are in excellent position not only at YOUR table, but across all tables too. Don't see the logic in a big risk at this time.

(beat me to it Red...lol)

Fold...addon when time to do so, and then play solid poker again. Keep your chips in front of you and use them when needed.
  • Redington wrote: »
    Maybe Im just weak tight.

LOL

You posted at the same time I was, but you certainly said it best.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Last few mins. of rebuy is the reason I fold.

You've already reached your first obj. and built a fantastic stack, you're good to go now.

FWIW I probably fold AKs here too, gambling like that when you've already completed your job for the rebuy period would be silly.

I would fold for the same reason. Pandamancan's stack is too large to be messing around with A-Q. Let him win the 1000 (or what ever) and wait for the re-buy period to end.
  • I fold as well....you are in great position with your stack. You can start collecting chips as soon as the real poker game starts (after rebuy/add on period is over)
  • Ok...

So lets take some bets.

I take KK for $1 and if I can take two then I add 99 for $1

AA =
    QQ =
    JJ =
    TT=
    99=
    88-22=
    AK=
    AQ=
    AJ-8=
    AX suited =
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    LOL

You posted at the same time I was, but you certainly said it best.

Sarcasm just doesn't come across on a sreen.
  • Wow. Very interesting discussion already guys and gals. I'm still in for the moment anyways, just past the bubble with short stack, if anyone cares.
  • Wow. Very interesting discussion already guys and gals. I'm still in for the moment anyways, just past the bubble with short stack, if anyone cares.

So what was the hand? did you call with AQ?
    Damn you /g2!
    Haha I love it!!!!!!!

/g2
  • *********** # 3 **************
    PokerStars Game #12716588103: Tournament #63957673, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2007/10/19 - 08:57:17 (ET)
    Table '63957673 73' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
    Seat 1: zoli_star (2635 in chips)
    Seat 2: pandamancan (9030 in chips)
    Seat 3: homelander (3535 in chips)
    Seat 4: Akala16 (14035 in chips)
    Seat 5: SSYJE (1990 in chips)
    Seat 6: samix86 (570 in chips)
    Seat 7: yoramblit (3600 in chips)
    Seat 8: storballet (4685 in chips)
    Seat 9: bocafoka (3300 in chips)
    homelander: posts small blind 50
    Akala16: posts big blind 100
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Akala16 [Ac Qh]
    Akala16: folds
    storballet: calls 4115 and is all-in
    *** FLOP *** [9h 9c 4d]
    *** TURN *** [9h 9c 4d] [Qs]
    *** RIVER *** [9h 9c 4d Qs] [8s]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    storballet: shows [Jd Jh] (two pair, Jacks and Nines)
    pandamancan: shows [Tc Th] (two pair, Tens and Nines)
    storballet collected 8230 from side pot
    samix86: shows [8c 7c] (two pair, Nines and Eights)
    storballet collected 1860 from main pot
    samix86 re-buys and receives 3000 chips for $20.00
    Akala16 said, "aaaaaaarrrg"
    Sarcasm just doesn't come across on a sreen.

sure it does, wouldn't have LOL'd.

Wanted to point out to those who haven't played you yet that you are not W/T, and neither is your post. I am agreeing that folding is the right play.
  • gg

vgzdgn
  • haha you would have won !!!11!1!1!

seriously though I'd fold there as well, nice stack to go on plus at the end of rebuy it's so easy to be beaten by donks...

He coulda went allin with 92 for all you know and you would have lost half your chips...
  • Ty, I don't know what the letters mean. Short stack looking to double, very bad spot vs utg raise. dumb play.
  • Just depends what range you put him on, but I'd say it's pretty unlikely to be one that's good for you at all. I'd snap call AK though.
  • *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Akala16 [Ac Qh]
    Akala16:
    No one has said anything about this yet :(

I would call the all-in with AQo if the pot was headsup, but with a cold-caller to worry about, I'd need AK or JJ+.

/g2
  • HA!

Exactly what I said. Weak isolation raise. I don't understand all the 'wait until the rebuy is over' comments. The fact that it IS a rebuy makes this a call. Players are looser and willing to overbet their stack. There is nothing worse than ending the rebuy period as an average stack fighting for chips with several hundred others at the same chip level as you, while the big stacks sit there and pick you off.

1010 boy certainly won't play like that after the rebuy is over. You just won't have the same opportunity to pick up chips like that after the rebuy ends. He has stuck all his chips in the pot on a stupid play. Yet everyone wants to sit back and let him be the one to accumulate chips. He made the mistake. No-one wants to take advantage of that? Sick.

So after the rebuy is over what you doing with your AQ? I guess fold as well. If you aren't willing to make that play before the rebuy ends, you certainly won't after. So what is the point of 'waiting'. Waiting for your eventual blind out death and $20 profit on 3+ hours of play. Enjoy.
    HA!

Exactly what I said. Weak isolation raise. I don't understand all the 'wait until the rebuy is over' comments. The fact that it IS a rebuy makes this a call. Players are looser and willing to overbet their stack. There is nothing worse than ending the rebuy period as an average stack fighting for chips with several hundred others at the same chip level as you, while the big stacks sit there and pick you off.

1010 boy certainly won't play like that after the rebuy is over. You just won't have the same opportunity to pick up chips like that after the rebuy ends. He has stuck all his chips in the pot on a stupid play. Yet everyone wants to sit back and let him be the one to accumulate chips. He made the mistake. No-one wants to take advantage of that? Sick.

So after the rebuy is over what you doing with your AQ? I guess fold as well. If you aren't willing to make that play before the rebuy ends, you certainly won't after. So what is the point of 'waiting'. Waiting for your eventual blind out death and $20 profit on 3+ hours of play. Enjoy.

TT is not a weak isolation play. He has used his first position well. He is forcing a decision for all the small stacks behind him. INCLUDING AQ.

So just because a Q comes on the turn, that makes the push play with AQ good? It is still a coin flip for 70% of your stack. Maybe in a turbo luck push tourney but I don't really see the upside in these kind of calls when your already a M100 plus stack.

Fact is he is first into the pot, you have to have a better range then AQ to call. The big stack is your biggest weapon here and you have a small upside to going to 160M but a huge downside by going to 20M.
    is he is first into the pot, you have to have a better range then AQ to call. The big stack is your biggest weapon here and you have a small upside to going to 160M but a huge downside by going to 20M.

Excellent post Red! Bang on my thoughts as well.
  • You guys need to play some $10 donkament rebuys on Stars and rethink your strategy after. His range is WAY wider than you think. Just as you say don't justify your call because the dude ended up with a Q on the flop, don't justify your fold just because the dude ended up with 1010.

1010 is a vulnerable hand. I don't see how you can call it anything other than a weak isolation raise.

I can guarantee you 14k at the break is nothing in these. There will be a couple dozen players with 35k+ at the break. Ave stack is meaningless in these because there will be a TON of players just around the minimum after the break. Just look at the stacks at his table right now. As soon as the break is over and the short stacks start busting, in short order half the table will be sitting down with 20k+. He needs to have the stack so that he can be the one picking off the small fish otherwise the situation will continue with larger stacks than himself isolation raising and keeping him out of the pots.
  • You are at a Cook crew $2 rebuy. Mario shoves for 9k. You have 14k and AQ. Fold or call? Your table has been tight and even though you have accumulated a decent stack, you know once your table breaks you are screwed because you know the other table has burned through 2 cups of rebuys. If you say fold Tyson, you lie. Same thing. Bigger scale.
  • Some thoughts I had while reading this thread.

"small stack is 50% to have strong Ax"
    I totally disagree here. This person has just over 5 bbs. It's a good play to push with ANY TWO here simply because they can do a double rebuy if they lose. Folding here and you can only do a rebuy/addon. When we get to the end of the rebuy period, if I don't have more chips than double the rebuy, I'll pretty much push with anything in a last ditch effort to chip up before the real poker playing begins.

Even without the smooth caller, I can't see why you'd want to enter any race 3 way. So I agree with moose about trying to accumulate chips but if this is last hand of the rebuy period, I'm not willing to throw away 59mins of work. One other way to put is this, 3 way all in you're most likely face another ace and say a pocket pair. Making an allin call with more than 1 person is a desperation move for shorties...not something a table chiplead needs to do.

"You are at a Cook crew $2 rebuy. Mario shoves for 9k. You have 14k and AQ. Fold or call?"
    Totally different situation you're describing here. If Mario is first to push, I push and hope for isolation. In the OP situation, there's already a caller who's trying to isolate. To me it's about not entering a race with more than one person. You can argue all you want bout 16k (14+addon) nothing compared to the leaders, but what are you real odds of winning a 3-4 way race? Quite slim, so would you rather continue with 7k (14-9+2).

I say slim because you need to think of what hands you're racing against.

3 way? AQ vs Ax vs pp
    4 way? AQ vs Ax vs pp vs pp or sc

This question is so dependent on the situation. If it's anywhere in the first 30mins of the rebuy, I can't push it in fast enough.