SNG hand for discussion

2»

Comments

• moose wrote: »
    I don't know what you are saying here, T9 and AA? These are BB hands that only call?

You asked for hands that would only call you if you called and I said, nothing, unless the BB absolutely hates chips.

BB is not going to commit 25% of his chips into a pot that leaves him no fold equity on the flop and OOP. The only way to maximize the return on his chips and remove his bad position is to push or fold. There is no hand left that only calls.

It is a dry side pot if he flat calls. So BB either hits or misses. If he misses, then he can only hope that his hand beats yours on a check down. If it is ahead preflop, then he should be pushing to isolate. Again, why would he call 25% of his chips off preflop if he is behind and hope to outflop you? If he hits, he has to hope the flop hits him harder than it does you, committing you to a call. It is a dry side pot, there is no other way for him to extract any more chips out of you because if you miss completely you will fold on the flop, so why would he take the chance on you outflopping him?

So clearly, you must have planned on two scenarios when you flat called.
    a) you hoped the blinds would fold
    b) alternatively you would fold to any push

On the other hand if BB pushes preflop, now he has some fold equity. He makes you fold most hands that beats him and gives him almost 3:1 pot odds against a short stack who may be pushing any two random cards. If the BB is certain he can make you fold then he should be pushing with any 2 random cards himself, if for no other reason than to keep a short stack alive and keep you from accumulating anymore chips.

BB knew this and took advantage and therein lies why you should have reraised first.

Stop thinking about the cards and start thinking about the situation and the opponents. This not a my hand beats yours situation. The chips are the weapon, not the cards here.

I quoted the whole post because everyone should read it twice.

Excellent post Moose.
  • Both the puck and BB were in raise-or-fold situations, with calling the worst option. If the puck thinks that the short stack all-in who is in the Red Zone is beating his 99, then he should fold. Otherwise, he should use the weapon of his 6,000 chips and raise to get the blinds to fold and maximize his EV by being heads-up against the short stack. From my limited knowledge of the players involved, my thinking is that waltsfriend and DrTyore would respect a raise and fold even if they wake up with a good hand.

Putting myself in the BB's position, I would put beanie42 as having a better hand than my AT. I would not have the weapons of cards or position, so my first thought would be to fold. However, if my read on beanie42 was that he probably didn't flat call with AA or KK, and that he has been playing tight and would fold almost anything else to an all-in, then using the weapon of chips and reraising all-in could be an +EV play despite having a mediocre hand. Hats off to DrTyore for the "semi-loose and aggressive" +EV play! :)

I know that moose was forced to state that he wants me as his captain below his avatar after losing a Royal Cup bet, but with his excellent multiple-level thinking post, I hereby accept him as a teammate if there is an opening for Royal Cup V. ;) My head hurts whenever I have to battle him in a hand, whether it is in the final two or having AA against KK in Omaha.
    moose wrote: »
    Stop thinking about the cards and start thinking about the situation and the opponents. This not a my hand beats yours situation. The chips are the weapon, not the cards here.