All-in on the bubble

2»

Comments

• BlondeFish wrote: »
    Using the prize structure and an Independent Chip Model calculator, my tournament equity if I fold my pair of Queens would fall to $1,080 (83K chips out of 600K) while my opponent's would rise to $1,309. If I call and win, my opponent would be eliminated and my equity would rise to $1,956, for a gain of +$876. If I call and lose, my equity would fall by -$753 to $327 (only 19K chips left).

Using ICM analysis a la Dan Harrington, my probability of winning would have to be 46% [753 / (753 + 856)] in order to make calling profitable. I told my opponent that I wanted to call because I think I was beating him and he replied nervously, "I hope not." My read was that I was probably beating him unless he was slowplaying a monster. I will be conservative for my calculations and assume that there is a 40% chance that he is winning, a 30% chance that he hit with a worse hand, and a 30% chance that he is bluffing.

1) 30% chance that he did not hit at all, e.g., Jx, Ax, flush or straight draw. He has 0-9 outs and my probability of winning is ~93%. 30% * 93% = 27.9%.

2) 30% chance that my pair of Q is beating his hand, e.g., QT-Q4, 3x, 2x. He has 3-5 outs and my probability of winning is ~87%. 30% * 87% = 26.1%.

3) 40% chance that he has a better hand, e.g., Kx, 33, 22, Q3, Q2, AQ. I only have 2 or 3 outs and my probability of winning is ~5%. 40% * 5% = 2%.

My estimate of my total winning probability is 56% (27.9 + 26.1 + 2), which is greater than the 46% required, so calling is the correct decision.
    $EV = 56% * +$876 + 44% * (-$753) = +$159.
    I would have to be more than 50% sure that he was winning to make folding the better option.

I did call, and he showed K-2 for 2 pair on the flop! River was not a Q and IGHN on the bubble. :redface:

Nice analysis,

What ICM calculator did you use?
    In the future it would help if you posted the payout structure if you use that in your calculations.