Hamilton Predators

Anyone jump on a lay a deposit on the Hamilton Preds yet?
What are people's thoughts of them actually moving to SW Ontario.

Comments

• they will win the cup before the leafs do.
  • ticketmaster is taking season ticket orders...seriously ad was in the Toronto Star today
  • I put down a $2,000 deposit for a pair of lower bowl seats.

Yes, I'm a Sabres fan, and always will be a Sabres fan. But, I'll go to games in Hamilton, and between my buddy and I, who are splitting the tickets, we feel it's a great investment with no risk. Even if the team comes, we can still back out, and get our entire deposit back.

Look at it this way ... it's like taking $1,000 (each), and putting it in the bank, and earning no interest (which is what effectively happens now at a bank near you!!).

macbb
  • NEVER going to happen!

MLSE will never allow another franchise in that close proximity.
  • When all is said and done, I think it will only be a stop over until they get an arena built in the KW area. Can’t see the NHL passing up the opportunity to get all this money into the league and increasing the value of everyone’s franchise. This team will be leaving Nashville and coming to Ontario regardless how the Leafs feel.

Prophet :2h :2s
  • Heard they are already looking at building a 27,000 collapsible seat arena on the property that RIM owns in Cambridge. This is out of the boundaries for both Toronto and Buffalo.

Go Habs Go.

If it does happen Eric won't have to drive so far to see Boston stink.
  • Buzzzardd wrote: »
    If it does happen Eric won't have to drive so far to see Boston stink.

Eric...tell me what dark alley...I'll bring the sticks :mad:
  • I was going to say golf clubs, but I guess you're right...

Boston uses the clubs more than the sticks.

Mark
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Eric...tell me what dark alley...I'll bring the sticks :mad:

Eric knows I'm just kidding. At least I hope he does.
  • macbb wrote: »
    I put down a $2,000 deposit for a pair of lower bowl seats.

Yes, I'm a Sabres fan, and always will be a Sabres fan. But, I'll go to games in Hamilton, and between my buddy and I, who are splitting the tickets, we feel it's a great investment with no risk. Even if the team comes, we can still back out, and get our entire deposit back.

Look at it this way ... it's like taking $1,000 (each), and putting it in the bank, and earning no interest (which is what effectively happens now at a bank near you!!).

macbb

Interesting in splitting the seasons if/when it happens? :D
    NEVER going to happen!

Bingo. They have alot more money and many lawyers on staff to keep this thing from ever happening. I'd LOVE to see nashville local, but i dont see it happening
  • Soup wrote: »
    Bingo. They have alot more money and many lawyers on staff to keep this thing from ever happening. I'd LOVE to see nashville local, but i dont see it happening
    STR82ACE wrote: »
    NEVER going to happen!

I have two words for you and these are words that the NHL know and don't want to have to deal with:

AL DAVIS

If Jim Balsillie wants to do this they will come regardless of the Leaf wishes.

Prophet :2h :2s
  • if this happpend it would screw the divsions up , but i guess they could move boston to the west and put cambridge or hamilton in the leafs divison or put them in the divison nashvill was already in with a bunch of shitty teams besdies detroit.
  • if this happpend it would screw the divsions up , but i guess they could move boston to the west and put cambridge or hamilton in the leafs divison or put them in the divison nashvill was already in with a bunch of shitty teams besdies detroit.

uhh the west was a far stronger overall divison, buffalo was the only team in the east who stood a chance to run with a top western team
  • WILL...NOT...HAPPEN!

I can already see Harold Ballard rising from the grave.
    WILL...NOT...HAPPEN!

I can already see Harold Ballard rising from the grave.

I think it's a no brainer and the NHL will lose this battle. MLSE as well. It will be ugly at times but I am willing to put money on this team comming to SW Ontario before the Leafs ever win a Cup. NHL has nothing to gain with stopping this move and they would only piss off their largest fan base. Give the poor Leaf fans an option as they really haven't had one in 40 years.
  • I grabbed 2 lower bowl season's for a 2000 buck deposit today.
    See ya there Macbb!
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Interesting in splitting the seasons if/when it happens? :D

Hey Wes,

I'm already splitting with a buddy, but my in-laws are thinking of buying as well, so if they do, we may have more than enough, and might have extras.

macbb
  • CanadaKev wrote: »
    I grabbed 2 lower bowl season's for a 2000 buck deposit today.
    See ya there Macbb!

You bet.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks Hamilton getting a team would be *great* for Toronto?? The Leafs are a "license to print money", and that wouldn't change, no matter who comes into the area. But, you could argue it might even help them, and I think it would.

macbb
  • Rich guy wants to bring a team to Canada...nh. It's going to happen. The Davis referencce is a good one. My prediction 1 year Nashville....1 to 2 years Hamiliton...while arena being built in KW...good for you guys!!!
  • macbb wrote: »
    Hey Wes,

I'm already splitting with a buddy, but my in-laws are thinking of buying as well, so if they do, we may have more than enough, and might have extras.

macbb

I decided to dump $1K for 2 upper bowl seats myself...that bank account def feels alot lighter now...
  • Hate to tell you I told you so....BUT
    Hate to tell you I told you so....BUT

This is round one. Don't count him out yet. Ontario will get there third team.
  • Like several other people have said in this thread

Never
    Gonna
    Happen
  • There's now way that Gary Bettman will give a team to Canada, when he was "better" markets in Las Vegas or Kansas City.
  • Bettman is so against Southern Ontario getting another team that he will kybosh any move that would even suggest it. He's more interested in expanding into untouched markets like Vegas or some other desert town that doesn't give a damn about hockey. Its unfortunate, because what is happening in Nashville will happen again and again to the teams that are suffering from low interest.

I would like to see Hamilton get a team, hell, I would love to see Halifax get a team!! But truth is Bettman isn't going to authorize any team to move to any location that has any interest in the game if a)it's not American and b) where the audience has seen snow.
  • This is unreal!

Report: Leipold won't sell to Balsillie

Jim Balsillie's bid to purchase the Nashville Predators and relocate them to Southern Ontario appears unlikely now that current Predators owner Craig Leipold has found a new buyer.

According to the National Post, Leipold informed Balsillie earlier this week that he would not accept his $238-million US offer for the NHL club. Instead, Leipold is preparing to sell the franchise to California businessman William DelBiaggio, who is expected to move the team to Kansas City instead.
    DelBiaggio's bid is reportedly $50-million US less than what Balsillie was offering for the club.

Balsillie's deal to purchase the Predators was set to close on June 30.
    "We are currently free to explore any and all options regarding the sale of the Nashville Predators," Gerry Helper, Nashville's senior vice-president of communications and development, said in a statement. "However, until and unless there is a binding agreement in place, we do not plan to comment on the status of Predators ownership.

"We will not comment on rumours and speculation."
    The NHL, which called Balsillie's plans to relocate the team to Southern Ontario "premature", also declined to comment.
    Despite the fact he doesn't yet own the team, Balsillie recently signed an option for a 20-year lease on Copps Coliseum in Hamilton and began accepting deposits for season tickets and suites.

Kansas City, which recently built a brand new downtown arena, has been searching for a permanent tenant and recently made a pitch to try and lure the Pittsburgh Penguins to Missouri. The arena is managed by Anschutz Entertainment Group, which is owned by L.A. Kings owner Philip Anschutz.
    DelBiaggio has an agreement with the Anschutz Group to own and operate an NHL franchise in the new arena.
  • Unfortunate.

I will not support the NHL if this team moves to KC. I am a die hard Red Wings fan and went to game 5 of the Calgary and Anahiem series. I believe in the game and the need for another team in SW Ontario. If this team moves I will spend my entertainment money elsewhere. The NHL needs to wake up and a boycott is probably a good start. This league is vulnerable and a bad year at the gates will hurt it right where it counts. I hope others do the same.

Maybe Balsillie will contact Cuban and a couple others that have a few million to throw around and build a rival league.
  • You gotta wonder why Leipold won't sell to Balsillie but he will sell the team for $40M less to another guy that still wants to move the team.

It's BS and probably an anti-trust violation.