Georgetown Poker Games

I discovered a great weekly tournament. Below is the information from their flyer.
Fundraiser Texas Hold'em No-Limit Poker Tournament
Friday
Registration Start Time 7 PM
Tournament Start Time 8 PM
Entry Fee $60
- Includes Food
- Dealers Provided
Freeze Out Tournament, No Rebuy, No Add-Ons
Prizes (based on tournament sell-out of 80 players):
In their first Friday tournament, there were 98 players! They had to truck in a couple more of their nice poker tables, which are big enough for 11 players. The prize amounts were all increased, with first prize getting $1,500! Tournament information was displayed on a large screen, including the tournament house rules prior to the start.

A tournament report from me would not be complete without mentioning the "Skill Level", so based on that night's blind structure, the Patience Factor was 9 and the Skill Level was 5. :) This is one of the highest among club tournaments, so you get a lot more poker play.

Instead of chip races, players were chipped up, e.g., an odd $25 chip would be rounded up to a $100 chip. The food included several meats and salads.

After I got eliminated, I played in one of the side tables and made a couple of hundred dollars before the place closed down at 4 AM. The organizer said that part of the tournament proceeds are donated to charity (Salvation Army) and the venue owner confirmed it later.

In conclusion, "it's worth the drive from Acton!" And Milton, Brampton, Oakville, ....

Comments

• Hey,

i'm glad you had fun at our poker tourney. Yes, some of the proceeds do go to the Salvation Army. We are only getting bigger, right now we are aiming for 2 tournies a month. The tables as you noticed are are sponsored rentals because we are doing this for Charity. Each event will be a new charity.

We are working on a bounty type tournament in the near future.

Thanks for the plug.

-ALI

For more information please do not hesitate to contact me. There is no point of advertising this tourney on the forum. As the majority of you are from the KW region. But for those of you that can make the drive, I welcome you to do so.
  • Sounds sweet. And on a Friday which I can make.. :)
  • djalikool wrote: »

For more information please do not hesitate to contact me. There is no point of advertising this tourney on the forum. As the majority of you are from the KW region. But for those of you that can make the drive, I welcome you to do so.

Dude what are you talking about.....The Ching League is in Brampton and I'm pretty sure most of us would be interested in attending.

Let us know if there are more.
  • Sounds interesting, general question. How much of the prize pool is being payed out to players? ie how much are the organizers making vs charity?
  • Hey Jeff,

80% goes into the prizepool
    15% to charity (Paid Out Before The Cards Are Shuffled Up And Dealt)
    5% to cover labour ie. dealers, wait staff, venue

For further information, a website will be soon be available with pictures, stats, charity ceromonies, sponsor links.
  • I try to find out information such as this for any poker event I go to to see if it is worth going back and recommending to friends. Based on the announced prize amounts and number of players, around 85% of the total buy-ins went to the prize pool. I made it to the money so I can confirm that my prize envelope did contain the announced amount.
    compuease wrote: »
    How much of the prize pool is being payed out to players?
  • Could you send me your email address or contact info? I live in Georgetown.

Thanks
    Hey Jeff,

For further information, a website will be soon be available with pictures, stats, charity ceromonies, sponsor links.

5% is very fair.
    If you do not get your website going I would have no problem setting up a page for you on my site. I used to have a fundraiser page but have been to busy to run any other large charity tournies so it is no longer live..
  • BigChrisEl wrote: »
    Dude what are you talking about.....The Ching League is in Brampton and I'm pretty sure most of us would be interested in attending.

Let us know if there are more.

I concur, this sounds like a pretty good game, and a worthwhile cause. If this stays a weekly game, I'm sure to make an appearance a couple of times in the near future. Unfortunately, this week is out for me though, as I have to play taxi for my daughter's camp, but I'll definitely keep it open.
    Hey Jeff,

Hey Ali, Can you please pm the address of HighStakes Poker in G-town? Sounds like you guys have a great game going.

Cheers.
    =D
  • when is the next game scheduled?

Milton Slim
  • Tonight, and probably every Friday night. Are the Milton Rocks, Ching Hill, CanadaDave, esool, etc. coming?
    ddmilcan wrote: »
    when is the next game scheduled?
  • The Rocks are playing at the Sportsmans club tonight, some at Brents tomorrow, then Fergus on Sunday...
  • Great tourney, glad I made the drive. Very good and competitive format, not really a crapshoot until the final 5. (at least that's the excuse I'm going to use for going out 5th. :D ).

Buddy, You had a great perspective from the dealer position I'd like it if you could pm me your thoughts on my play at the final table. I'm pretty dissappointed going from chip leader with 6 left to out in 5th; but those blinds were pretty high by then. Any suggestions?

Cheers!
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Tonight, and probably every Friday night. Are the Milton Rocks, Ching Hill, CanadaDave, esool, etc. coming?

Sorry I've been away for a few days and could not make this one. Soon tho..
  • Congratulations to CanadaDave for making it to the money. One of the Milton Rocks and Royal Cup III participants also made it to the final twelve.

CanadaDave, you played great from what I saw and remember. The play that stood out for me at final table was when the previous chip leader kept calling your bets with only Ace high and you took over the chip lead. As Dan Harrington wrote in his book, "You played all right, but there really isn't that much that you can do. The cards rule in these short little sessions."
    CanadaDave wrote: »
    Great tourney, glad I made the drive. Very good and competitive format
  • Congratulations to the Rocks and other players from Milton/Halton, who dominated last night's tournament heading into the final table! Maybe one of the Milton Rocks can post a trip report with the final table placements, but I saw three of their Royal Cup 3 players - compuease, DrLarry and Mark - at final table, with another Milton player winning second place. This is the third week in a row that one or more forum members have made it to the money!

The next tournament is Friday, June 8.
  • Just want to bump this one as I really feel it is good value and should be fairly easy pickings for some of the more advanced players on this forum. Played it for the first time last Friday, finishing 3rd, and taking out the previous weeks winner which gets me a free buyin this Friday. As Buddy mentioned 2 other Rocks also made the money with Dr Larry taking 6th and Mark finishing 4th. Give it a try if you are looking for a good one on Fridays. Here is some info from an email they distributed..

Edit, maybe I don't want more players from here showing up... lol... Then I have more competition..... Forget I posted this... :)

New Promo Friday Night Poker -- Early Bird Bonus 10% added to stack for players who
    shows up to play cash from 6pm-6:15pm

Weekly Wednesday $1 - $2 Cash Tables - Start Time 7pm -
    and early bird from 7:00 - 7:15 pm gets a drink on the house

Fridays Texas Hold'em No-Limit Poker Tournament

Registration Start Time 7:00pm
    Tournment Start Time 8:00pm

Entry Fee $60.00
    get free Drink for every friend you bring to the tournament,
    and if you bring 6 friends you get a free buy in.

10,000 Starting Chips
    Blinds start at 25/50 blinds go up every 20 min and hr breaks

Includes Food
    Includes Dealers
    10 man Poker Tables ( not table toppers )
    Tournament Director will be projected for all to see

Maximum Seating 80 Players
    Freeze Out Tournament
    > No Rebuy > No Add-Ons

Prizes

1st $1,250.00 6th $300.00
    2nd $750.00 7th $250.00
    3rd $500.00 8th $200.00
    4th $400.00 9th $150.00
    5th $350.00 10th $100.00

***NOTE: Prizes above are based on tournament sell-out of 80 players!

Live $1-$2 Cash Games Action During Starting at 6pm
    New Promo
    Early Bird Bouns 10% added to stake for players who shows up
    to play cash from 6pm-6:15pm
  • I played on Friday...not very well but I was there.
    I didn't get a chance to play in the 1-2 NL game but I was told by another player that there is no cap on the "5% donation" in that game....is that true?

BCC55
  • BCC55 wrote: »
    I played on Friday...not very well but I was there.
    I didn't get a chance to play in the 1-2 NL game but I was told by another player that there is no cap on the "5% donation" in that game....is that true?

BCC55

yes it is, and I rather be up front than telling players that theres a cap than really not. and % goes to our local Charity

any concerns feel free to ask me any time
  • Did anyone attend the Sunday tournament? how was the turnout compared to Friday night? Was there a decent cash game on Sunday?
  • The Sunday events are Bi-weekly because the sunday closer at the bar,
    will so this sunday is a long weekend, and no game
  • Hey Nelio,

I sent you an email, did you get it?
    The Sunday events are Bi-weekly because the sunday closer at the bar,
    will so this sunday is a long weekend, and no game
  • Don't think they had a tourney on Sunday or I would have brought a dozen friends like I did on Friday...LOL!
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    Did anyone attend the Sunday tournament? how was the turnout compared to Friday night? Was there a decent cash game on Sunday?
  • IM-ON-TILT wrote: »
    Don't think they had a tourney on Sunday or I would have brought a dozen friends like I did on Friday...LOL!

You should have followed that old guy to the other cash table; three seniors and no pre-flop raising = a nice evening
  • I did witness a huge 3-way all-in pot where one guy had an overpair+open ended, the other had a set and the other who eventually won had the nut straight which is the same old guy who went to the other table claiming he played with me at Rama.
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    You should have followed that old guy to the other cash table; three seniors and no pre-flop raising = a nice evening
  • I want to say thank you for all who have been turning out to our Poker Tournament, that this has been a blast to see all the new player comming out. Last week we had 67 players.

I look foward to see you all next week, at the poker tables
  • I want to say thank you for all who have been turning out to our Poker Tournament, that this has been a blast to see all the new player comming out. Last week we had 67 players.

I look foward to see you all next week, at the poker tables

was there a tournament today? and cash games? will try to make it out next Friday night.
  • Weekly Friday night games are still going on strong!

if you need any info, feel free to e-mail me at highstakespkr@hotmail.com

oor you can call me at 647 222 9614

I look forward to see you all at the poker Tabes
  • Hey Nel I will be there tonight.

Cameron