Royal Cup III Confirmed Teams

2»

Comments

• pokerdro wrote: »
    Do the defending champs have a full team?

Three of the defending champs cannot make it out to K-W that day, so we are currently short of three Stud players. When is the deadline to submit an eight-player list?
    Brad,

I do believe I have a seating chart for a tournament that has anywhere from 7 to 10 teams already made up. This was in anticipation of the tournament expanding after RC1. I am away from my computer this weekend but can let you know Sunday when I am back. Also 9 player stud game is not in those plans. I had the Stud spread over 5 tables and there was a table who had 8 players the rest with 7. There was a random chance of being on the 8 and the points would have been altered to make 7th and 8th the same pt value on that table. ANy other suggestions? Let me know

The seating chart should match the placement chart as well.

How are the other teams doing?

Our team is currently at 7. A couple people have gone MIA but we should be able to field 8.

I made up a 9 player chart already last night and while I procrastinated at work today, so I will just have to tweak it to have the Stud set up. I was thinking the same thing with putting tables of 7 and 8 so I will set it up that way and randomly draw the seats as I did with the other tables.

The HU is also set up for 9 now and I can send the Excel file to any captains as soon as it is finished.

Sandro, what are you thinking for the points in Stud? It may be tougher than just changing last place, but I think the best option would be to have the 5 Stud table awarding the same number of points as the 4 PLO tables, so that you have the consistency and don't make the Stud worth more than anything else. This would mean reducing all the places slightly (maybe 1 pt each, but I haven't run the numbers yet) which I think is reasonable since there will only be 7/table (The 8 player table should be the same I think)
  • Pinhead wrote: »
    So does this mean we have 9 confirmed teams?

I know some reams are still working on their completed roster (myself included) but if there are any teams who know their list could you pm it to me please :)
    Brad

Btw what is our team? Is it full?

The Kitchener HBK's are full and have the following roster:

stpboy
    Beanie42
    Drtyore
    Flint Bones
    TNorth "Metro"
    JohnnieH
    Redington
    LaBeach2002

Good times!

stp
  • I see you did go and steal a player from the Newbie's. Now you know what you gotta pull for MDS. I'm sure he'll love it :)
  • AcidJoe wrote: »
    I see you did go and steal a player from the Newbie's. Now you know what you gotta pull for MDS. I'm sure he'll love it :)

Being the Captain, I'll have to delegate that responsibility to Drtyore Mark. He's the kind of guy to bend over backwards to please his teammates and Captain ;)

stp
  • Stretching as we speak cap'n!

Mark
  • We are still a man/woman short. Anyone interested let me know
  • Any idea when the event details will be finalized (location, no. of teams, rules we need to know, etc)? I haven't played in the previous Ryder Cups so if there are things we need to know before hand, if some one can send me the details, it would be much appreciated.
  • I will get all the details posted this weekend. But there is a thread compuease linked to that gives the run down. Only difference may be a slight change in blinds but for the most part all is in tact. I believe we are looking at 9 teams but the defending champs look like they are having trouble fielding a team. We will post a deadline of February 24th to have your team in. At that point we will start seat selections. In the week leading up to it.
    Brad,

I do believe I have a seating chart for a tournament that has anywhere from 7 to 10 teams already made up. This was in anticipation of the tournament expanding after RC1. I am away from my computer this weekend but can let you know Sunday when I am back. Also 9 player stud game is not in those plans. I had the Stud spread over 5 tables and there was a table who had 8 players the rest with 7. There was a random chance of being on the 8 and the points would have been altered to make 7th and 8th the same pt value on that table. ANy other suggestions? Let me know

The seating chart should match the placement chart as well.

Our team is currently at 7. A couple people have gone MIA but we should be able to field 8.

I was thinking about this and thought a fair solution would be to use 9 player tables for stud and have the dealer sit out and just deal. Since the deal rotates it would affect each team equally. Once the table is 8 handed then the dealer would deal and play the hand (and hopefully the eliminated player would stay and deal).
  • moose wrote: »
    I was thinking about this and thought a fair solution would be to use 9 player tables for stud and have the dealer sit out and just deal. Since the deal rotates it would affect each team equally. Once the table is 8 handed then the dealer would deal and play the hand (and hopefully the eliminated player would stay and deal).

I like the idea moose!

Prophet 22
  • It's not often I can agree with both Moose and prophet..... but...... here goes......

I LIKE THAT IDEA too. Great concept Moose.
  • It is an interesting idea.

I guess the question is it fair to sit out a hand and not have a chance to be knocked out? The pts would be the same for the 9th and 8th player so i think that takes care of that issue. I will hold a vote with the captain's and we will report back. Thanks for the idea.
  • moose wrote: »
    I guess I gotta go back to the norm :( .... I disagree. I don't really like the idea of a player sitting out every hand.

But I do like the idea of the captains voting... so I guess my opinion doesn't matter ;)

/g2
  • I think I gotta go with the Rocks "star" young gun on this one... I say we just play as normal, everyone in every hand. I really don't think it shopuld make a difernece in the end, especially since, as pokerdro pointed out, 8th and 9th are the same points.
  • One thing to think about is that we would have to adjust the point system to ensure Stud is still valued the same as Omaha. Less point for stud players means we would not run a "MVP" type pool. Which doesn't make or break the day as it is a team event but it is an interesting side wager. Brad has proposed the changes made so if we go to 5 stud games we will post that if not we will go with the Moose idea.
  • compuease wrote: »
    I think I gotta go with the Rocks "star" young gun on this one... I say we just play as normal, everyone in every hand. I really don't think it shopuld make a difernece in the end, especially since, as pokerdro pointed out, 8th and 9th are the same points.

Actually it makes a huge difference in the points structure. If you keep the points the same for 1st-7th in Stud and just leave 8th or 9th out when you have table of 7 or 8 then you end up awarding a much higher number of point in the Stud section vs the PLO since you would need 5 Sud tables and only 4 PLO. This would essentially make Stud the biggest 'half round' out of all the events other than HU.

The other feasible alternate is to scale back the points in Stud since you are playing on a smaller table in a way which balances the total points awarded over 5 tables to the number awarded over 4 PLO tables. This balances the events more evenly, but it brings up a couple other issues.

First, each team plays on 4 of the Stud tables, so theoretically the number of points they could gain is reduced if points are awarded on a lower scale. Obviously it is balanced for each team, but it penalizes teams that are better at Stud than PLO. Not a huge issue since it seems PLO is the preference over Stud, but still worth consideration.

I think the bigger issue actually is the individual distinction. A player playing PLO would have a higher likelyhood of earning more points than a Stud player simply by the scaling system. That can be solved by keeping the individual stats to mirror the old system, but what do you do if you have 2 players who won all 3 tables and their HU where one played Stud and one PLO? Unlikely, I know, but the Stud player had to defeat less players (likely 7 instead of 9 at their first table)

I think the idea Mosse proposed is a good one since it resolves both the above issues at the cost of having a player sit out a hand once an orbit (I would assume they would not be required to post an ante or anything to hurt their stack) and this would only last until their was a player busting out.

Basically, if we're voting, I'm voting for Moose's idea
  • And in my ranting, Sandro posted before me. Thanks for stealing my thunder :(
  • compuease wrote: »
    I think I gotta go with the Rocks "star" young gun on this one... I say we just play as normal, everyone in every hand. I really don't think it shopuld make a difernece in the end, especially since, as pokerdro pointed out, 8th and 9th are the same points.

The problem is Jeff is you can't have 9 handed stud tables and if they aren't 9 handed then the tables have to be unbalanced, which I think is more unfair and problematic. Sitting out the dealer would only be for the stud game.

We only sit the dealer out until someone busts. Then play resumes as normal.
  • I'll vote for the "player to sit out untill one player busts" idea. I am playing stud and find this the most reasonable and fair compromise. Who knows though, we may not have a 9th team if Team Pirana can't find 3 more studs.

stp
  • The rumours of the death of the championship team have been greatly exagerrated. ;) While my first choice of replacements have declined because K-W is too far or they can't spend over 12 hours playing poker that day, I know so many other poker players that I will have a full team by the deadline. I can probably find one or more alternates that can play for another team if we don't need them.
    pokerdro wrote: »
    the defending champs look like they are having trouble fielding a team. We will post a deadline of February 24th to have your team in.
  • That sounds great. I am sure everyone wants a shot at the Champs. It is too bad that you can't field your regulars I never knew KW was so far away from Toronto.
    I never knew KW was so far away from Toronto.

Are you kidding? KW is days behind! ;)

I vote for dead dealer for Stud as well.