Help me buy a new Razor

2»

Comments

• i just pushed grow a beard into the lead with 5
  • Milo wrote: »
    I am in the same boat with respect to "patchiness". I can grow a 'stache or goatee just fine, but a full beard eludes me.

Cliff Claven?
  • Naahh . . . I knew it was Joan Crawford.
  • just ordered the razor Dinobot suggested...snow days
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    just ordered the razor Dinobot suggested...snow days

How have you found it?
  • Wow, that is a pretty attractive looking razor. Beautiful actually. Reminds me of the single edge old fashioned one my Dad used growing up. I just found that one with about 5 packs of blades at my parents house last week when we were cleaning out a bunch of stuff. Thought about taking it, but I left it in a pile of other important keep sakes for now.

Dad always told me he never used it except for funerals and weddings. He also told me to never get started using it because nobody needs a shave that close.

The double edge blade of the one Dinobot mentioned looks like it would be a little safer and probably wouldn't take the first layer of skin off like the one my Dad had.
  • There's a good article I read somewhere once that discussed that there have been basically no progress in razor technology since the safety razor. Simply differences in marketing strategy. I've shaved with five blades and never found it as enjoyable or as good as the safety razor.
  • Used it the first time today...good times
  • Tried my new Merkur for the first time this morning. Just my scalp but it was very nice.
  • Glad I could find this thread again . . . No longer have the Merkur, but still shaving the old fashioned way, even got into straight razor shaving for a while. Shoulder issues put the kibosh on that earlier this year. But I was thinking about how this thread got me started down the rabbit-hole, and wanted to say "thanks" to [MENTION=5643]payperview[/MENTION] for starting it off, and to [MENTION=1404]dinobot[/MENTION] for the link to B&B.
  • You must have a steady hand or a magnificently round head. Back of my head looks like a shar pei dog. I just end up with a blood bath.

D1318F6E-B65B-4F76-B1B2-83FABCC951C8.jpeg
  • A few lumps on my noggin, but it is not as hard as you think. I had to stop because a shoulder impingement causes my hand to shake when raised and placed behind my head to shave. Using a safety razor keeps the wife from cashing in the insurance. These are my babies.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Glad I could find this thread again . . . No longer have the Merkur, but still shaving the old fashioned way, even got into straight razor shaving for a while. Shoulder issues put the kibosh on that earlier this year. But I was thinking about how this thread got me started down the rabbit-hole, and wanted to say "thanks" to [MENTION=5643]payperview[/MENTION] for starting it off, and to [MENTION=1404]dinobot[/MENTION] for the link to B&B.

Wow. I didnt realize I was posting here in 2014. Been a quick 5 years.
  • It has indeed . . .
  • I wish I had this thread in 2014 because I didn't buy my first safety razor until 2017. I like your collection Milo! Which is your favorite? I only have a Merkur
  • These ones. Karve Stainless Steel 3.25" handle, Brass, 3.25", 3.5", and 4" handle.

The plates are open comb and closed comb, 3 each in brass, 1 each in stainless, with varying degrees of blade exposure.
  • That said, if you're looking for an upgrade, I would suggest the Rockwell 6S.