Making the case for atheism...can it be done?

1212223242527»

Comments

• trigs wrote: »

You are acting like this is some new theological point of contention for the evangelical Christian. It is not. There were many early groups that didn’t subscribe to the divinity of Christ which is why The Council of Nicaea (325) was formed. A formal position on the matter was settled.

There is no new argument today that hasn’t been debated hundreds of years before today regardless of how much you search the internet.

Jesus said “if you have seen me, you have seen the Father”. John 14:7-9
    Jesus said “I and my Father are one”. John 10:30

The issue is faith. Hebrews 11:6 says: “without faith it is impossible to please God …” Once you settle the faith issue, there isn’t really anything to talk about. Everything else falls into place.

Faith leads to us understanding that sin separates us from a holy God. Belief leads to accepting that Jesus Christ paid the penalty for sin to allow us have a relationship with God. Confession leads to repentance. Repentance leads to surrendering of one’s own will to God and living a life that is pleasing to Him.

Most people find it is just too much to give up and choose to live a life that is not accountable to a God they cannot see.

The divinity of Jesus Christ is what separates Christianity from being a religion. Jesus Christ is not just a prophet but God Himself in man form.
  • You are acting like...

i'm going to assume that you are speaking to the author of this article because i simply posted it in this thread and made no reference to my opinion whatsoever.

on a side note, i guess i really have to start posting articles along with my personal analysis of them from now on (or at least a very general "i agree" or "i don't agree" with this article comment) because it's always assumed that i agree with the author's opinions for some reason. i guess it's because that's what every else does (i.e. post articles to prove their argument is "right") and it's just assumed that i do that too. obviously, i have done that, but i post articles i disagree with as well simply because they relate to the discussion. also, sometimes i kind of agree with the author's overall point, but i have issues with the details on how they reached their conclusion, for example, which technically could help out the theist's argument.

if someone, heaven forbid, actually asked me for my opinion i will gladly provide it, but i highly doubt anyone gives a shit, and i'm getting tired of asking others and hearing silence.

however, since you brought it up, this counterpoint of yours...
    Once you settle the faith issue, there isn’t really anything to talk about. Everything else falls into place.

...is where i see a potential problem, but obviously not one that we haven't already discussed in this thread.
    if someone, heaven forbid, actually asked me for my opinion i will gladly provide it, but i highly doubt anyone gives a shit, and i'm getting tired of asking others and hearing silence.

...is where i see a potential problem, but obviously not one that we haven't already discussed in this thread.

You are right, I assume you agree with the articles you are posting. Wrong of me! We have talked about it in the past but why would you think people don't value your opinion? People on the board have responded to you in a variety of ways. Kristy had some great compliments for you in your thread.

I know I have said it to you publicly and priviately how you have challeneged me in ways I'd never imagined. Forced me into the Word of God, strengthing my faith!

I guess the reason I don't ask your opinion everytime you post something in this thread is because most times I don't think you are really looking for answers but rather a debate.

trigs wrote: »

I have said it before, sometimes you need to have an actually conversation with someone about things, and not a back and forth in text.

I also believe you have to have a respect for the person you are talking with. I know at heart you are a philosopher so you would have to know of C.S. Lewis. Read Mere Christianity. Maybe he can explain thinkgs in a way that you get because I believe you are looking in the wrong places, places that undermine Christianity instead of explain Christianity.

Brent

You should do an inventory of your life and see how faith plays a role in your own worldview. It's more apart of it than you probably care to admit.
  • You should do an inventory of your life and see how faith plays a row in your own worldview. It's more apart of it than you probably care to admit.

i 100% should do an inventory of my life. i've been thinking about this a lot lately.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Just came across it...

You do realize the statement of "sad thing is now he knows the truth and there is nothing he can do about it" is based solely on the god-squad view, and in fact, this fella's stated goal of fighting religiousness until the day he dies was actually accomplished, and he would have been super proud.

As many more should be.

Mark

Came across this and wonder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5a5GgDkiSE

Christian author's book on famous atheist gets him on Fox, MSNBC | AL.com

The Faith of Christopher Hitchens: The Restless Soul of the World's Most Notorious Atheist: Larry Alex Taunton: 9780718022174: Amazon.com: Books

I might just have to buy this book.

Brent