BB10, RIM and the future

Comments

• 800OVER wrote: »
    New 10 interface is pretty sweet... some fun stuff to come for sure. They'll have a keyboard and non keyboard so something for everyone. They're not apple, but if they gain 5% of the market they'll be just fine.

Exactly... Remember Apple only has about 15% of the pc market.. Microsoft is the big guy there and if their tablet is anywhere near the predictions I am seeing it will be dominant in the high end. This will squeeze Apple in the middle between Microsoft at the high end and Android devices at the lower end...Interesting times ahead for the consumer... RIM is kinda the wild card...;)
  • WTF is with the new Optimized for BlackBerry Playbook screen flash on playbook webpage swaps? So fucking annoying. Is BlackBerry marketing being run by retards? It's a BlackBerry provided program. If it's not optimized for the playbook then WTF would it be for?

It would be the equivalent of changing channels with your Rogers cable box but before you can see the new channel, everytime you have to see a screen flash of 'Optimized for your Rogers cable box.'
  • moose wrote: »
    WTF is with the new Optimized for BlackBerry Playbook screen flash on playbook webpage swaps?
    Never seen it.. Is this something new with a new update?
  • I was a devout Palm Pilot user, but I've never been a first-adopter. My first Palm was the IIIc. My first palm phone was the Treo 600. I had 2 of them. When the Palm Pre came out, it was cloud-based and didn't convert your existing Palm desktop software. Big oops there Palm. Next.

My mobile needs don't centre around email. They do centre around my time-management and contacts. Where the Palm synced seamlessly with my desktop database (I use something called TimeMatters), it also simply allowed me to phone right from my address book in my Treo. A Blackberry requred me to keep two address books in order to make this happen and get Microsoft Exchange.

I spent many hours reading the syncing abilities of the iPhone, then tested it several times with a friend's phone. But where the Treo only took 30 seconds to sync, the iPhone takes 5 to 10 minutes as I have to go through both Outlook and iTunes. But I can dial right from the iPhone address book. Still better than the BB option.

I have taken the same time-management course offered by the CA institute twice - 25 years ago and 2 years ago. The first time around, managing your time focussed on closing your door to your office when you had to get something done and managing your phone calls, usually through your assistant. The second time around, it was managing your email by turning off push-emails and scheduling your time around when you would check for email. According to the instructor, texting was found to be more efficient than email.

So for me, the BB can't do what I need my mobile phone to do. Sure I have some apps on my iPhone that I didn't have on my Treo. And btw I'm nowhere close to using the 1G data plan I signed up for. But I can Facetime with my 90 year-old Aunt in Nova Scotia, even when she misdials her iPad.

I'll read about the BB10 when it comes out, but I won't be switching anytime soon.
  • BB10 SDK toolkit went Gold yesterday.. Developers are all abuzz.... Wait for it... :) Stock up to $12.40 from a low of $6.10...
  • I rebooted my playbook and the flash screen went away. Yay.
  • BB10 will have physical keyboard models....eventually. But to not launch with them is just idiotic when that is really your only truly visible advantage and differentiator over the competition. RIM will have a very narrow launch window to get some press coverage, and then people will quickly move on if they don't like what they see.
  • More positive news....

WASHINGTON, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA--(Marketwire - Dec. 13, 2012) - Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM)(TSX:RIM) announced today that it will begin a pilot program with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for the new BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 mobile enterprise management solution and BlackBerry® 10 smartphones in early 2013. ICE will be among the first government organizations to pilot the new BlackBerry 10 solution.

"ICE has been a valued BlackBerry customer for years, and our commitment to government agencies has influenced the development of the BlackBerry 10 platform." said Scott Totzke, Senior Vice President, BlackBerry Security, Research In Motion. "Along with providing workers with secure access to behind-the-firewall confidential information, BlackBerry 10 can help organizations fully leverage the potential of mobile technology to offer new services, improve service delivery and increase organizational productivity. We look forward to sharing more features of the BlackBerry 10 platform at our global launch event on January 30."

RIM recently announced that the BlackBerry 10 platform has received FIPS 140-2 certification ahead of launch. The certification enables government agencies to deploy BlackBerry 10 smartphones and BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 from the day of launch. RIM first introduced mobile device management solutions more than a decade ago and continues to be a global leader in providing mobility solutions to government agencies.

Bolded is key...

Independant confirmation..

Good news for RIM (RIMM): It may win back a big government client that decided weeks ago to switch to the iPhone. The United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency (ICE) is planning to launch a pilot program next year that will test out RIM’s upcoming BlackBerry 10 phones and the new BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 platform. ICE has roughly 17,600 employees, so if RIM can convince the agency to adopt BlackBerry 10 it will be a huge win for a company that has seen many significant government and corporate clients switch to other devices over the past year.

This is a pretty concise look at the first model to hit Jan 30th... Have a look at the camera features... slick... And the idea of being able to switch seamlessly between a business and personal profile will be a big hit in the business market imo...

http://technology.canoe.ca/2012/12/13/20429711.html
  • Getting close now... New updates.

Global News | Research In Motion stock continues remarkable comeback, analyst revises estimate

RIM heats up as BlackBerry 10 launch nears - Yahoo! News

Lots more positive news, just google it.... I'm set to be a BB millionaire...

Well not really, but you get the idea.. My avg price is $10.10, closed today at $15.71 I almost think it's done too much too fast, up from $6. plus in October...
  • I'd say take your profits....but I was either saying or thinking that about $4 lower so what do I know :-\
  • SuperNed wrote: »
    I'd say take your profits....but I was either saying or thinking that about $4 lower so what do I know :-\

Pessimist...:p Why settle for half a mill when you can have the whole thing... $20. here we come!
  • Fondly remembering a time years ago when I watched my $45,000 investment in a stock turn into $350,000 then back to $60,000
    I was holding out for a half mil :o
  • Sell you some Apple :(
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Sell you some Apple :(
    Don't sell now Jim..

Remember buy low sell high...

Why now's not the time to sell Apple stock - Business on NBCNews.com
  • Was in a car last night with a RIM employee

He's a software something or other

He says bb10 will create a buzz at first but will die off

Black berry is dying folks
  • costanza wrote: »
    Was in a car last night with a RIM employee

He's a software something or other

He says bb10 will create a buzz at first but will die off

Black berry is dying folks
    Don't believe you, even if I did, an ordinary employee has no more info than you... And that's minimal..
  • I'm not a techie at all, but I would have to think that RIM is going to die soon (I already thought they were just about dead). What market share are they going to get? Businesses seem to be getting rid of Blackberry's for iPhones and kids aren't wanting Blackberrys. Globally, they don't seemed positioned to complete with Apple or Google.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I'm not a techie at all, but I would have to think that RIM is going to die soon (I already thought they were just about dead). What market share are they going to get? Businesses seem to be getting rid of Blackberry's for iPhones and kids aren't wanting Blackberrys. Globally, they don't seemed positioned to complete with Apple or Google.

Nothing to do with being a techie, those are business opinions. Volume is not the key long term, it's profitability.. RIM will compete on the high end, higher profit margin devices similar to what IBM did in the mid 90's onward. You can already see the effect on Apple moving into the lower end market. It affects profitability hurting stock value.. No one expects RIM to compete on volume with Apple nor Samsung because they are in a related but different market. They will be able to compete on profitability per device though.
    Have you actually read some of the business reviews coming out in the last month or two? I value their opinions much more than costanzas or that of his "friend".
  • compuease wrote: »
    Nothing to do with being a techie, those are business opinions. Volume is not the key long term, it's profitability.. RIM will compete on the high end, higher profit margin devices similar to what IBM did in the mid 90's onward. You can already see the effect on Apple moving into the lower end market. It affects profitability hurting stock value.. No one expects RIM to compete on volume with Apple nor Samsung because they are in a related but different market. They will be able to compete on profitability per device though.
    Have you actually read some of the business reviews coming out in the last month or two? I value their opinions much more than costanzas or that of his "friend".

No, I haven't. I was just wondering where the market lies. How are the devices higher-end than the current generation of Androids? Certainly their phones aren't worth more than the $500 phones already in existence.
  • I've heard only good things about RIM from about a month ago on. Blackberry 10 will be good, and I heard that they will make their enterprise email available on other devices (samsung and apple). Everyone agrees that RIM still has the best email encryption going right now.

Anyway, the guy was saying he expects RIM to be $19/share by the end of the year. This was on a 570News talk radio when they had segment on RIM. I certainly trust his analysis over Costanza's, or anyone else on here to be honest.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    I've heard only good things about RIM from about a month ago on. Blackberry 10 will be good, and I heard that they will make their enterprise email available on other devices (samsung and apple). Everyone agrees that RIM still has the best email encryption going right now.

Anyway, the guy was saying he expects RIM to be $19/share by the end of the year. This was on a 570News talk radio when they had segment on RIM. I certainly trust his analysis over Costanza's, or anyone else on here to be honest.

Bingo, and I will be estatic if we really do make $19. by year end.. Almost double my investment...
    There may be some ups and downs this year so hold on... Put it this way, would rather be holding RIM of 2 months ago at $6. or Apple at $700.?
  • I'm going to host a charity fundraiser to get Comp a cheerleader's outfit for RIM. Little skirt, tight top and all! You get so emotional and defensive about this! I love the passion.
  • I'm going to host a charity fundraiser to get Comp a cheerleader's outfit for RIM. Little skirt, tight top and all! You get so emotional and defensive about this! I love the passion.

Not emotional or defensive at all.. No room for that when you are investing... I'm also not going to say "I told you so" after I double my money... If I sold now I would have made 50% in a very short time.. where else can you do that?

ok asshole...? ;)

Lol

If I posted this I'd be b&

Nice one bill!!!

:)
    If I sold now I would have made 50% in a very short time.. where else can you do that?

BAP with Sir Watts at the PCA this year. ^-^
    Not emotional or defensive at all.. No room for that when you are investing... I'm also not going to say "I told you so" after I double my money... If I sold now I would have made 50% in a very short time.. where else can you do that?

ok asshole...? ;)

I do have to agree....nothing wrong with defending an idea or investment and thus far you have been more than right.
    The main thing I hate about RIM is it (as well as most tech products) has become soooo media driven. And not just the stock, but the product. 'If' there is some sort of glitch, shortcoming, or 'insert whatever past RIM screw up during launch' comes to mind the media will tear it apart. Or if it doesn't sell 'x' number of units in the first week the media will go on the usual attack and destroy mission. And regardless of whether it is a business tool or not, it is still on some level consumer oriented...as it is the individual who uses it...function or not...wants to use the in style product. That is where in my opinion RIM differs from your comparison to IBM...which fits completely into the tool realm and the best product wins just about every time.
    The current 'hype' is what has driven the stock price. The media has decided to temporarily no longer make RIM it's whipping boy as they've finally figured out APPL isn't the second coming of Christ and that you can only put out mini's and stupid tweeks while withholding upgrades so long before the public and zombies catch on.
    I think right now RIM falls into the old the saying...buy on rumour...sell on news. While I obviously wouldn't short it....I seriously think barring a huge market rally where everything goes through the roof, RIM will be lower a month after 'the day before' the BB10 launch.
  • Quite agree with you Ned, I think you and I are not too far apart... As I said there are likely to be many ups and downs over the next few months.. Real test is where we are a year from now. I may sell some just prior to launch to "play safe".. haven't decided yet.
  • Up another 10.8% today to $17.41.... Do I sell some now? Hmm... tempting.
  • Dump dump dump!!
  • costanza wrote: »
    Dump dump dump!!

What an uniformed decision........ You have inside info again?