BB10, RIM and the future

Comments

• US gov`t just purchased 1 million units btw.

Launch delay had more to do with the US carriers rather than manufacturing capacity.

Company has made a shit load of mistakes, but they`re on the right track back up.
  • how are u liking yours ash?

my 3 year plan with my 3gs is fucking OVER and i cant wait to get a new phone lol
  • holychow wrote: »
    BlackBerry has made so many mistakes. Taking forever to launch OS 10 being one of them. They let another year go by and missed several key shipping dates putting the "final touches" on their new OS. They launch first in the smaller markets (Canada is only 10% of the US population) and overseas and then hold the US launch until later in the year? How does that make sense? I don't understand that strategy. That either means they aren't projecting very strong US sales or their manufacturing capacity isn't up to the task.

Perhaps if they pulled their heads out of their a$$es and looked around, they might be in better shape. During their fall, Android has capitalized and taken the majority of the market and Samsung ridden this wave to number one phone manufacturer.

Do you think that BB had control over the launch in the US or did they provide the US companies with the BB hardware at the same time as they did for other markets? ALL markets received the product at the same time...the carriers control the launch in the US. Has nothing to do with capacity.
  • The US delay is a little more complex than that. BB has trouble getting US carriers on board with their products in general, and the Z10 was no different. Service plans and pricing are way different in the states, not to mention the US market's appetite for apps and cool factor vs functionality and security (US gov. excepted, of course), as well as their current propensity to support US based companies.

So BB felt it was better to launch first in their stronger markets like Europe, Asia, and the Middle East, build some chatter, get some market reviews going, and then hopefully it will be better received in the states. It also gives them more time to work out carrier agreements and build inventory.

I don't know that it's the right strategy - time will tell - but ther was some thought put into it.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Did you perhaps lose some money betting on BB when they were >$100.? Sure seem to have a hate on...:confused:

As I said before, when I was working for RIM they would be working on 3 models simultaneously, one in planning, one in design and one heading to production and releasing a new model a minimum of every 8 months. That was how they stayed current and ahead of the competition.

Delaying the release of the z10 by over a year destroyed the company's market share and even with the ridiculous delay they couldn't get it ready in time for US market testing so they could launch simultaneously in all markets?

Samsung seemed to understand the importance of launching in the US first. I'm sure BB did too but they couldn't achieve it = bad management
  • moose wrote: »
    As I said before, when I was working for RIM

I have a feeling there is more to this story...:-X

Cuz he had a rim job?
    GTA Poker wrote: »
    Cuz he had a rim job?

That's usually a story with a happy ending.
  • Card Dead wrote: »
    The US delay is a little more complex than that. BB has trouble getting US carriers on board with their products in general, and the Z10 was no different. Service plans and pricing are way different in the states, not to mention the US market's appetite for apps and cool factor vs functionality and security (US gov. excepted, of course), as well as their current propensity to support US based companies.

So BB felt it was better to launch first in their stronger markets like Europe, Asia, and the Middle East, build some chatter, get some market reviews going, and then hopefully it will be better received in the states. It also gives them more time to work out carrier agreements and build inventory.

I don't know that it's the right strategy - time will tell - but ther was some thought put into it.

UMMM Heins came right out and said ALL countries got product at the same time....the carrier testing process is what changed the delivery time. BB didn't decide the release dates. If they had control they would have had the US deliveries started by now.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/us-delay-hampers-rims-bb10-rollout/article8094628/
  • Wait a minute - there is some uber power that decides when a company releases their product to market!!!!

Honestly, give your head a shake.
  • That's usually a story with a happy ending.

That deserves a rim shot
  • If moose didn't like his rim job what does that have to do with the release date of the blackberry?
    Wait a minute - there is some uber power that decides when a company releases their product to market!!!!

Honestly, give your head a shake.

I think the article stated that each carrier decides the release date....BB doesn't own stores i don't think. I think that's why different carriers have different release dates. BB doesn't have the clout to tell the carriers when to release the phone. Maybe you know something we don't?
  • im actually thinking about getting a z10

im such a hypocrite lol

im due for a new phone , ive had my 3gs for 3 years and am due for an upgrade.

apparently the iphone 5 isnt even all that different from my phone and i feel like its time for a change, even tho ive had ZERO problems with this phone.

Im scared tho, because the "curve" and "bold" were supposed to be great phones and were all hyped up until they started sucking.

Im just skeptical about buying technology from a "dying" company, although these phones have gotten pretty good ratings from what ive read online.

anyone here have first hand experience?
  • costanza wrote: »
    anyone here have first hand experience?

• I don't get it
    As I said before, when I was working for RIM they would be working on 3 models simultaneously, one in planning, one in design and one heading to production and releasing a new model a minimum of every 8 months. That was how they stayed current and ahead of the competition.

And they also had 5000 complacent, lazy, and redundant employees.

Easy to stay ahead of the curve when you're the only runner. Not 100% sure on this, but I think it's a slightly more competitive market these days.
  • 800OVER wrote: »
    I think the article stated that each carrier decides the release date....BB doesn't own stores i don't think. I think that's why different carriers have different release dates. BB doesn't have the clout to tell the carriers when to release the phone. Maybe you know something we don't?

Once the phone is tested and ready do you think the carriers just sit on it and refuse to sell it?

S4 is coming out before z10 in the US. Which phone do you think the US networks had in their hands for testing first?

Do you think this was the first cell phone BB has made or the first one they offered to the US market? We have a two choices here. Either the management is full of incompetent morons or they didn't have the phone ready in time for US testing so that the phone could be released in all markets simultaneously, which makes the management full of incompetent morons.
    Once the phone is tested and ready do you think the carriers just sit on it and refuse to sell it?

S4 is coming out before z10 in the US. Which phone do you think the US networks had in their hands for testing first?

Do you think this was the first cell phone BB has made or the first one they offered to the US market? We have a two choices here. Either the management is full of incompetent morons or they didn't have the phone ready in time for US testing so that the phone could be released in all markets simultaneously, which makes the management full of incompetent morons.

I don't understand the different dates for each carrier....again (and I can only go from the article) BB has almost no market share....it is not a priority for the carriers to get it to market. Samsung has a much larger market share (and carries a higher margin than Iphone) so the carriers have a reason to push it through. BB doesn't sell enough product to call the shots. Samsung can call it's own numbers because of their position of power. Unless you can come up with a rationale as to why they would release the BB10 in other markets before the US (which you suggest was a choice as they had enough product product to release elsewhere and could have sent it to the US) I have to believe the article.
  • They hit the other markets first because they didn't give enough lead time to the US carriers and couldn't afford to announce yet another delay.

That's a major fail.

S4 is actually being released late April, Z10 March 22.

/just sayin'
    Wait, where did you get that info? From what I read it is now end of April for AT&T and staged out over the following couple of months for the other carriers. BB Z10 is Mar 22nd for retail and is already out for pre orders. Wasn't it you who said that it was a mistake to stage the rollout?
    Now why DO you have such a hate on for BB? I understand that something had to have happened to make you leave there at one point, I left IBM as well so understand, but get over it man...

By the time the S4 is out, BB will have already saturated the market. ;)

Obviously kidding on the above comment but you get my point. BB does not have to get back to the market share it once had in the US, perhaps 5-10% would actually be very profitable for that market.. Corporate alone should get them there.. We (the consumers) all benefit having a viable 4th choice in a smartphone manufacturer. Let's not kill them from spite...
  • Ppl wasting money itt
    > iPhone ftw ;):D
  • RWPKRPLR wrote: »
    Ppl wasting money itt

ppl waste money buying an iPhone? Never thought of it that way but whatever...
  • RWPKRPLR wrote: »
    Ppl wasting money itt

I hear that the iphone6 will be 1mm thinner and come in 3 new colours
  • I've had my z10 since the third week of Feb. I'm very happy with it.
    Don't even use any apps. Browser is great for my use.
  • Hovering around $16.50 last few days... About 50% profit if I took it now..

Interesting article on the QNX operating system, looks like a bright future if they get through this year with decent numbers... Still hurdles ahead though..

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1283851-blackberry-understanding-qnx?source=yahoo
  • Suite of new and key apps release ahead of US first sales tomorrow.. Lookin good!

BerryReview - BlackBerry News and Reviews You Can Use