Options

Blinds are about to go up...

Poker Stars, $7.34 + $0.66 NL Hold'em Tournament, 800/1,600 Blinds, 150 Ante, 8 Players

JodaB. (SB): 14,799
BB: 26,348
UTG: 21,216
UTG+1: 380
MP1: 12,375
MP2: 21,534
CO: 15,391
BTN: 12,922

Pre-Flop: (3,600) 4clubnormal.gif 2diamondnormal.gif dealt to JodaB. (SB)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls 230 and is All-In, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to 3,200, 2 folds, JodaB :confused:

Comments

• well, you do have the potential to run for the "worst shove of the tournament" award
  • Fold and its not even close.

We are OOP with such a marginal hand with about an average stack. Why would we want to go to war with such marginal holdings when we will have position next hand?

Edit - not to mention the big stack to your left in the BB. Doing anything here but folding is -ev unless you are guaranteed the raiser will fold.
  • I feel like I just got Rick rolled but with darb I'm never quite sure
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    well, you do have the potential to run for the "worst shove of the tournament" award

I would lean towards the "if Joe Tehan can do it why can't I" award
  • HammerDad wrote: »
    Fold and its not even close.

We are OOP with such a marginal hand with about an average stack. Why would we want to go to war with such marginal holdings when we will have position next hand?

Edit - not to mention the big stack to your left in the BB. Doing anything here but folding is -ev unless you are guaranteed the raiser will fold.

Did you just say 42o is a marginal hand? And how can you assume 8~BB is avg stack?
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Did you just say 42o is a marginal hand? And how can you assume 8~BB is avg stack?

8bb here is avg stack unless I read the top wrong....I didn't see multi-table tournament anywhere. And if it is a single table, Darb has an avg stack for the table.

And I use the word "marginal" loosely.
  • hammer, this is a 180, prob two tables left

I def fold this. But id like to see the math on it. some villians have pretty large r/f ranges here and will only call our shove w the nuts. Even with that type of read though, I have doubts its large enough to warrant atc shove?
  • reibs wrote: »
    hammer, this is a 180, prob two tables left

I def fold this. But id like to see the math on it. some villians have pretty large r/f ranges here and will only call our shove w the nuts. Even with that type of read though, I have doubts its large enough to warrant atc shove?

you're grasping at straws at best with that logic. Saying some villains have a large raisefold range to a 9 BB stack here is super optimistic and for it to be true villain would need like a -50% roi or something. We can't base our reasoning on villain being the biggest fish at the table
    hammer, this is a 180, prob two tables left

Like I said, I fold this 100%

At the $2 180s, I know a lot of the regs can and will iso the shortstack super wide knowing how much dead money there is in the blinds. Then they dont know wtf to do when they are shoved on with their Kx, Qx, 79s, 75s, etc cus they realize they have to call off half their stack.... You're right, we have no fold equity normally. But there are certain types of opp that I think we might just have some?

with that said, darb hasnt mentioned if he has any notes on this villian... and I dont play the 8s yet...
    and I dont play the 8s yet...

Steaks? :)
  • just to show we do have fold equity with this stack size.... sicklo is one of the best at these stakes....

PokerStars Hand #75416859524: Tournament #515210896, $2.28+$0.22 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level X (300/600) - 2012/02/11 12:44:53 ET
    Table '515210896 4' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
    Seat 1: verdasko4444 (1263 in chips)
    Seat 3: REEBS77 (4996 in chips)
    Seat 4: Cursed Poker (7370 in chips)
    Seat 5: giannakis83 (4872 in chips)
    Seat 6: SmallKindB (5590 in chips)
    Seat 8: sicklopedia (17450 in chips)
    Seat 9: halkidiki (9141 in chips) is sitting out
    verdasko4444: posts the ante 50
    REEBS77: posts the ante 50
    Cursed Poker: posts the ante 50
    giannakis83: posts the ante 50
    SmallKindB: posts the ante 50
    sicklopedia: posts the ante 50
    halkidiki: posts the ante 50
    REEBS77: posts small blind 300
    Cursed Poker: posts big blind 600
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to REEBS77 [7c Ac]
    giannakis83: folds
    SmallKindB: folds
    sicklopedia: raises 672 to 1272
    halkidiki: folds
    verdasko4444: calls 1213 and is all-in
    REEBS77: raises 3674 to 4946 and is all-in
    halkidiki has returned
    Cursed Poker has timed out
    Cursed Poker: folds
    Cursed Poker is sitting out
    Cursed Poker has returned
    sicklopedia: folds
    Uncalled bet (3674) returned to REEBS77
    But id like to see the math on it.
    +1

Let it go.
    i read this as shove???
    HammerDad wrote: »
    We are OOP
    I'm just nit picking here but we are about to negate position by shoving
    HammerDad wrote: »
    Doing anything here but folding is -ev unless you are guaranteed the raiser will fold.
    but have you considered a 2.1678ish raise?

Richard~ wrote: »
    you're grasping at straws at best with that logic. Saying some villains have a large raisefold range to a 9 BB stack here is super optimistic and for it to be true villain would need like a -50% roi or something. We can't base our reasoning on villain being the biggest fish at the table
    my logic is the same as reibs. And I know this field pretty well I think and most players have extremely tight calling ranges vs 3bet shoves, especially in spots like this.

I think many winning players will raise fold here

But hes likely not a winning reg and I think he does this with a giant range based on the stack sizes...not really suggesting yet that its big enough
    reibs wrote: »
    with that said, darb hasnt mentioned if he has any notes on this villian... and I dont play the 8s yet...

notes just say 'IMBTMN'

• Here's the math...

MP2 could have been raising with the top 50% of hands
    (33+,A2s+,K2s+,Q2s+,J4s+,T6s+,96s+,86s+,76s,65s,A2o+,K5o+,Q7o+,J7o+,T8o+,98o)
    and could then tighten up to the top 12.5% of hands
    (77+,A9s+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KJo+)

and still it would not be profitable for your shove.

The tighter they are making the initial raise, the worse it gets.

If they did the initial raise with the top 40% of hands
    (44+,A2s+,K2s+,Q4s+,J7s+,T7s+,97s+,87s,A3o+,K7o+,Q8o+,J8o+,T9o)
    They could tighten up to the top 9% of hands
    (88+,ATs+,KTs+,QJs,AJo+,KQo)

and still it would be right on the borderline for your shove.

(The more they tighten up, the better it is for you - the increased win% does not make up for the fold equity).

At the other end, they could start with the top 18.2% of hands
    (66+,A5s+,K9s+,Q9s+,J9s+,A9o+,KTo+,QTo+)
    and tighten up to an absolutely nitty 3.3% of hands to your shove
    (99+,AQs+)

and still would be spot on giving you the wrong odds for your shove.

NOTE - These calculations were done assuming the Big Blind was going to fold. You probably have to lessen them even more to account for the possibility of the Big Blind waking up to a monster too.

Just fold.
  • DataMn wrote: »
    Here's the math...

MP2 could have been raising with the top 50% of hands
    (33+,A2s+,K2s+,Q2s+,J4s+,T6s+,96s+,86s+,76s,65s,A2o+,K5o+,Q7o+,J7o+,T8o+,98o)
    and could then tighten up to the top 12.5% of hands
    (77+,A9s+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KJo+)

and still it would not be profitable for your shove.

The tighter they are making the initial raise, the worse it gets.

If they did the initial raise with the top 40% of hands
    (44+,A2s+,K2s+,Q4s+,J7s+,T7s+,97s+,87s,A3o+,K7o+,Q8o+,J8o+,T9o)
    They could tighten up to the top 9% of hands
    (88+,ATs+,KTs+,QJs,AJo+,KQo)

and still it would be right on the borderline for your shove.

(The more they tighten up, the better it is for you - the increased win% does not make up for the fold equity).

At the other end, they could start with the top 18.2% of hands
    (66+,A5s+,K9s+,Q9s+,J9s+,A9o+,KTo+,QTo+)
    and tighten up to an absolutely nitty 3.3% of hands to your shove
    (99+,AQs+)

and still would be spot on giving you the wrong odds for your shove.

NOTE - These calculations were done assuming the Big Blind was going to fold. You probably have to lessen them even more to account for the possibility of the Big Blind waking up to a monster too.

Just fold.
    your calling ranges are way too loose i think, 99+ aq+ is better but still a little loose in this spot i think.

hes opening any ace any bw any pair i think at least..

the bb range is going to be an over over call too so i think will fold aqo lots and tank hard with jj

i can't do the math for this yet :-\
  • darbday wrote: »

i read this as shove???

Bad read. Let the blind go and find a better spot.
    your calling ranges are way too loose i think, 99+ aq+ is better but still a little loose in this spot i think.

hes opening any ace any bw any pair i think at least..

the bb range is going to be an over over call too so i think will fold aqo lots and tank hard with jj

i can't do the math for this yet :-\

I'm just telling you the "break even" points. You have to take it from there.
    I'm just telling you the "break even" points. You have to take it from there.
    then if hes raising 30% and only calling <4% we should be better than the break even point?
  • Yes - because as I stated earlier, the more they tighten up, the better it is for you.

In the one example I started with 18% of hands and went to 3.3% as the break-even point, so for them to go from 30% to 3.3% means that they have tightened up to the point where it is profitable for you.
    Yes - because as I stated earlier, the more they tighten up, the better it is for you.

In the one example I started with 18% of hands and went to 3.3% as the break-even point, so for them to go from 30% to 3.3% means that they have tightened up to the point where it is profitable for you.
    so then someone has to argue that he opens less or calls wider?

and im guessing we can have him opening like 28% and calling 4.5%....but I think I can argue for 30/3.5 nonetheless.
  • I think you're wasting your time. A 3,5% calling range cannot possibly be accurate
    I think you're wasting your time. A 3,5% calling range cannot possibly be accurate
    how far off do you think it is for a weak player
    how far off do you think it is for a weak player

Their aren't THAT many weak players...
  • compuease wrote: »
    Their aren't THAT many weak players...
    but we know hes not a winning reg...its likely hes a weak player...very likely
    but we know hes not a winning reg...its likely hes a weak player...very likely

So are you claiming that 96.5% of the time he's folding? Really? Do you believe that?

Just fold, much better spots, almost all of them... :)
  • compuease wrote: »
    So are you claiming that 96.5% of the time he's folding? Really? Do you believe that?
    I think i loosely suggested 4/30 so about 90%

we have to put ranges up and let the math say tho, so how wide do you think a weak player calls?

and do you think any bw, any pair, and any ace is too loose for an opening range? I think it could be a little looser possibley
    compuease wrote: »
    Just fold, much better spots, almost all of them... :smilie:
    im going to take all of them too
  • I think 3,5% is far off, like really far off. I don't think you can make him fold J10s here ever
    I don't think you can make him fold J10s here ever
    you think hes min raise calling jts?
  • By your very definition you're getting called here.

Weak players dont min raise iso hands like j10 and jq.

They min raise iso hands that call you almost always.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    By your very definition you're getting called here.
    ...maybe not tho
    Wetts1012 wrote: »

Weak players dont min raise iso hands like j10 and jq.

They min raise iso hands that call you almost always.
    I think that changes when the player beside them is all in with less than a bb.

qj and jt are debatable but i think hands like a7s and 66 he generally min raises

so then you think his opening range is more like 10 percent or less?