Canadian Poker Summit

Comments

• I was fortunate enough to have one of the bogus e-mails sent by Charles to be signed with first name and last. I have posted that info below. Also I will be pursuing this matter legally shortly...it's guys like this that give the game a bad name. This is a felony so hopefully some time behind bars will prevent him from ripping hundreds of people off again!!!

We respectfully ask for your understanding and once again apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused. As noted earlier, all registered paid delegates will receive a full refund by cheque over the next two weeks.

Charles Rouleux

crouleux@canadianpokersummit.com

Chairman,

CAPS 2005 Organizing Committee
  • and if you take the phone number provided from the Canadian Poker summit website ((416) 538-9700) and do a reverse look-up on www.411.ca you will get a name and an address....will be good for serving legal papers!!! or hopefully just collecting the monies owed.
  • witchdoctor, thank you for that information. I will forward this to RECOL too.

I did the lookup previously too. Yep the internet is just FULL of information isn't it?
  • Hi there... just found this forum.

I too have been ripped off by these guys... I contacted them several times, the first time receiving a message saying my refund cheque was mailed on March 17. After well enough time had passed that I should have received the cheque, I followed up with them - no response. Same has happened since then.

Whoever is contacting RECOL, is there anything those of us who have been scammed should be doing? Adding our name to a list of complainants? Let me know.

dcc.
  • Guys I must apologize - the complaint I filed with RECOL had been marked "Incomplete", and thus not filed, because I did not hit the "Finish" button - duh.

I thought it said "Incomplete" because the case was not finished - duh again.

I just realized this when I went back to edit the complaint and add Charles' name to the list of suspects.

So consider the complaint filed as of today - I've just been lazy this week.

Anyway, the complaint has now been sent to the RCMP and OPP (given that it's across Canada) and RECOL recommends reporting this to the local police as well.

d.c.c. - There doesn't seem to be room on the RECOL form to add other complainants, but it does ask if there are other victims, which I've indicated. So you could file your own complaint with them if you wish, or just let this one ride and see what happens. I will update here if I hear any news from RECOL.

If anyone's located in Toronto's west end, maybe you could complain to division 11, as that is where one of our friends lives according to some info. If you are in that area and can do this, but need more info on the address, pm me, but you probably already know what I am talking about. Also I can give you the RECOL case number by pm which might be good to have. I'd do this myself, but I'm not that close.

Hope we nail these guys.

Cheers.
  • Today I received my refund cheque from the CAPS committee. I'll be trying to deposit it tonight and will keep everyone informed if it bounces.
  • twosnaces wrote:
    Today I received my refund cheque from the CAPS committee. I'll be trying to deposit it tonight and will keep everyone informed if it bounces.

They actually came through with a cheque? Good luck - please let me know the status as I know of several other people who would LOVE to hear of this getting some closure.

Keep May 28th open on your calendars. I believe I can safely announce that we (a production team with which I am involved) will be producing an event similar to what CAPS was supposed to have been. We are redeveloping the website now as it currently has nothing there. Check n Raise will no longer be producing the event, so if you go to the URL now http://thepokersummit.com/ the header is incorrect. As details become finalized they will be posted. We hope to have a semi-completed site with accurate info by the end of the weekend.

We will be using ticketmaster most likely (to simplify things for us and remove any danger of fraud for anyone else) to deal with payment processing and registration.

We have booked the Revival, located at College and Shaw (west of Bathurst) http://www.revivalbar.com/.

Costs are TBD as we negotiate our partnerships, but I am going to include some sort of discount for Forum members. I have to speak with Sloth to arrange this, so if any moderators can please get ahold of him to please contact me (pm or email me - admin@chubbypoker.com) that would be great.

As I said earlier, I have no intention of losing out on an incredible opportunity to strengthen our community.

Cheers.
  • Yorkpoker wrote:
    twosnaces wrote:
    Today I received my refund cheque from the CAPS committee. I'll be trying to deposit it tonight and will keep everyone informed if it bounces.

They actually came through with a cheque? Good luck - please let me know the status as I know of several other people who would LOVE to hear of this getting some closure.

Wouldn't hold my breath. Do you really expect these guys to come through? The same guys who announced the "almost sold out" summit? The guys who said we'd won a great prize of reduced registration fees for ourselves and 2 guests, then cancelled the event the next day? The guys who posted "completely sold out" on their website? The guys who never sent an official announcement of registration or cancellation of the event (at least I never got one)?

I also received the same notice as dirtcupcake, that my cheque had been mailed on March 17th, and could I please confirm my address. That same e-mail (the last I've heard from Charles) said I had the option of cancelling the cheque (since I hadn't received it) and getting a refund via Paypal despite a "horrendous" $5.71 service fee (in Charles' words). So I took the Paypal option, and it's 12 days later and still no refund.

And if it wasn't bad enough that same e-mail was where Charles mentioned more crap about complimentary registrations for myself and 2 guests at a future summit in any city. Well, there won't be a future summit held by Charles because after this he wouldn't have the balls to show his face and I'm sure there's a lot of poker players out there who would just love to get "up close and personal" with him.

Now if my cheque and D.C.C.'s were supposedly mailed March 17th, why would twosnaces just get his now? In other words his cheque was probably mailed almost a month later. I suspect this could allow them to cover themselves in case the cops come a-knockin'. They can say that the refunds are "in process", right? Then what can the cops do?

I also think this sporadic cheque processing may allow them to bide their time, hoping the issue simply dies down and goes away, because individually $170 is not a lot of money, I mean it's not like we got bilked out of our life savings. So they'll send out a cheque here and there, but in the end people may just end up letting it go, or forget about it completely, and they'll be home free with the bulk of the cash.
  • REFUND CHEQUE ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it...the threat of a lawsuit and look what happens. I am just hoping it won't bounce now!!!! Any one else get one???
  • Are the cheques showing up with any contact information? I am still missing $500 worth of my books that I shipped to Toronto.
  • It has some if you would like to contact me directly at davegameguy@yahoo.ca I will forward it to you as I would rather not post all of it online.

Thanks
  • Did the refund cheque clear?
  • I won't know for a couple of days....fingers crossed!!!!!
  • I'm glad to find a forum discussing this.  I thought I was alone.

Jan 20th:  Purchased a Calgary seat via paypal.com
    Feb 27th:  Received an email from admin@canadianpokersummit.com that event was cancelled.  Was given option to a) Receive full refund or b) Receive an Edmonton seat.
    Feb 27th:  Requested a full refund.
    Feb 28th:  Recieved an email apologizing for inconvenience and stating my cheque will be sent out immediately.
    Mar 21st:  Emailed Charles at crouleux@canadianpokersummit.com to inform him a cheque was not received.
    Mar 22nd:  Received an email: "You will receive your cheque immediately." <snip>
    Mar 30th:  Requested the cheque number, by the end of the day, of my refund so I can watch for it when it arrives.
    Mar 31st:  Attempted to file a dispute with paypal.com, rejected because purchase was made over 45 days ago.
    Mar 31st:  Filed a claim with Visa for undelivered goods or services.
    Apr 7th:  Received refund from Visa.

Edit: If I do receive a cheque, I'm obligated to contact visa and have their refund reversed, obviously. If I do receive a cheque, I will scan and post the envelope, cheque and any other correspondence here.
  • Got a refund cheque in the mail today :)

It was sent from the same address that the CAPS phone number tied into, and a company called "Golf Scramble 6070795" issued the cheque. The address on the cheque was also the same...76 F...

Envelope was postmarked April 23rd (Saturday) at 2:07. Cheque was dated April 10th - hmmm...delayed due to some cash flow issues maybe??

Also, April 10th was the date of my last e-mail from Charles. The one where he gave me the choice of another cheque or Paypal, and he said he'd "await my response". So I chose Paypal, and got a cheque instead - these guys just cannot get it right lol.

Total comedy of errors (well only if you get a refund that is...)

Just hope it clears now.

By the way, how can you claim a refund from Visa if you paid by Paypal??
  • It's a shame that the organizers screwed this up....there was alot of interest for this thing...maybe someone should organize a Poker Summit under a different name??....hhhhhmmmmmm?
  • if u read back a few pages you'll find that someone is working on one...for the last weekend in may it sounds like
  • badboy wrote:

If you used your visa to fund paypal, you can dispute the visa transaction in the first place.
  • rgspence wrote:
    It's a shame that the organizers screwed this up....there was alot of interest for this thing...maybe someone should organize a Poker Summit under a different name??....hhhhhmmmmmm?

I shall remind everyone to keep their calendars open for Saturday, May 28th - from about noon until 7 or 8 pm. The Poker Summit (nothing to do with the other event) is being produced by www.chubbypoker.com (me) and some other people who wanted to see the original event happen. We are updating the website (www.thepokersummit.com) as we confirm our details. Tix will be available through Ticketmaster and will be available for less than $50. I am trying to arrange a discount for forum members, but I can't confirm anything about that at this point.
  • badboy wrote:

I just explained the situation to Visa, they were well aware of paypal and told me that paypal's dispute resolution people usually suggest the victim just call Visa to do a charge-back anyways.  It was the first time I had to deal with Visa on such a matter and I was expecting to provide tons of documentation and evidence.  But nothing was required, they just wanted to help me get my money back.

In calgary, still no cheque.

edit: I made an assumption early on that you are using your visa to feed your paypal account. However, if you load your acct with your bank acct, yeah, you're screwed, unless Charles cuts you a cheque.
  • Yorkpoker wrote:

I shall remind everyone to keep their calendars open for Saturday, May 28th - from about noon until 7 or 8 pm.  The Poker Summit (nothing to do with the other event) is being produced by www.chubbypoker.com (me) and some other people who wanted to see the original event happen.  We are updating the website (www.thepokersummit.com) as we confirm our details. 

You may want to consider using a completely different name for this event.
  • being produced by www.chubbypoker.com (me)

Is check'n'raise still going to be involved, as well?
  • My books arrived back home today. Whew.
  • well i am glad you gusy have been getting your money back. I kow from my experience they screwed my poker league out of a few thousand $, one i did a little checking i found out from speaking to a few of the speakers that they were book but never received a deposit. if anyone is interested and still looking for info on these people i can give you the guy that was running it yes if you looked up a reverse on his number, same guy but i have his cell number. I was one of the sponsors and we had a banner and a booth all setup. and were out and taking legal action. as well as many other sponsors as well as speakers.
  • all_aces wrote:
    Is check'n'raise still going to be involved, as well?

Possibly as a sponsor. I am taking this on personally with a few partners.
  • My books arrived back home today. Whew.

Great to hear! I am relieved (which is odd as we've never met) but I was really hoping you wouldn't get stuck for this.
  • Going to see if it clears today at lunch:
    This forum scales the pics down, just right-click and save as to view high-res scans.

Edit: I just asked my bank (RBC) to check if this cheque will clear, they said I'd have to go to CIBC. So I just deposited at the ATM and I'll wait to see.

caps.jpg
    caps2.jpg
    caps3.jpg
  • just wondering if anyone who payed with visa could explain the process they've gone thru, and if you've seen any refund yet.

thanks
  • Dan808 wrote:
    just wondering if anyone who payed with visa could explain the process they've gone thru, and if you've seen any refund yet.

thanks
    CIBC visa
    I called them, told them the date of the transaction and the amount. Explained that the "seminar" was cancelled but no refund was received.
    They said that they will try to contact the merchant and then mail me a form to complete and send back to them.
    I was told that I will receive a refund regardless of their outcome with the merchant.
  • thanks esool.
    how long ago was that? any forms yet? (i'm sure visa will do what they said, just wondering about timelines).

such a pain for everyone...so sad...glad dave got his books tho.