Canadian Poker Summit

it has nothing to do with me (except i'm a canadian poker player), but i thought everyone would be interested...if it's not on here somewhere already (a quick search brought up nothing...anyway)

http://www.canadianpokersummit.com

Comments

• I notice Dave will be a speaker.

Rob. M
  • A couple of things:

1. They say that "Times and speakers are subject to change" on their agenda.

2. I noticed that the current registration fee of $159 is listed as "earlybird registration" and that price is only valid until Jan 30. However, there is no indication if, or by how much, the price goes up after that.

ScottyZ
  • The website has been updated since my last post.

1. The non-earlybird (i.e. after Jan 30) registration fee is listed as $189 (+GST).

2. Many of the speakers are now listed as confirmed, including Evelyn Ng, Lou Krieger, and some dude I've never heard of called Dave Scharf.

ScottyZ
  • anybody thinking about going to this?

obviously, i mean other than dave :)
  • for around $200, i would hope that this event is worthwhile because you could hit the tables and double up. i checked out the website and everything and it seems that this is the first year its running. if anyone DOES decide to go, please update the forum with the trip report. it sounds interesting. i would go if there was more information like freebies, one on one talk and a longer session that spans a couple days
  • I'm planning on going to the Toronto session and have already registered.

ScottyZ
  • No Winnipeg dates, damn youz!

Maybe a drive to Calgary for some poker and ski bunnies
  • I don't understand why people continue to run events downtown Toronto. don't get me wrong, I love the city, but geez, it is impossible to get there. No parking, and if you find parking it costs a ton of money, etc, etc, etc.....

Why not run events more central ( Around the Airport or something). I would think that is would attrack more people if they new it was easier to get to.

Just my thoughts.

Terry
  • I will be going. It should be no problem for me to get my money's worth.. :redface:
  • i'll be going...not sure that needed to be said tho...
  • i'll go if i win some $$$ at party tomorrow:D
  • I've faxed my registration info in, so assuming everything gets processed i'll see some of you there. closer to the time we should be together a pokerforum lunch or something as part of this, thus bring together my two current loves, poker and food :)
  • A reminder for anyone thinking about attending one of these sessions that today is that last day to regisiter with the earlybird pricing ($159+GST instead of $189+GST).

Chugs, that sounds like a good idea to get together sometime. I should be around myself for the weekend (possibly in Brantford for some of the time), so if forum people want to get together for a meal or something like that, that sounds like fun.

ScottyZ
  • I'd like to go, but I may be away that weekend (won't know for sure for a month or so).

So, if I do go, I'll be paying a bit more ... still, it'd be cool to see a lot of you, if I do end up there.

macbb
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    and some dude I've never heard of called Dave Scharf.

ScottyZ
    didn't he play the bad guy in 'Goldfinger' ? :confused:

:tongue:
  • didn't he play the bad guy in 'Goldfinger' ? :confused:

:tongue:

Don't think so.

But he may have done sound effects for Cheers, or the electron microscope photography for Blade Runner.

ScottyZ
  • Looks like I will be there! (Toronto) I will have my booth set-up, so come by & introduce yourself.
  • Chugs wrote:
    closer to the time we should be together a pokerforum lunch or something as part of this, thus bring together my two current loves, poker and food :)

Sounds like a good idea, I would be into that. Always good to talk poker with people that know the game better then myself..
  • I've registered for the Toronto session. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you.
  • I may go, thats right after my bday though so it depends if I go away or not!
  • FYI, the organizers seems to have modified the registration cost structure slightly:

After Feb 11 - $179
    After March 18 - $199

(+GST in both cases I think)

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    FYI, the organizers seems to have modified the registration cost structure slightly:

After Feb 1 - $179
    After March 18 - $199

(+GST in both cases I think)

ScottyZ

So my jan 30 registration was a +EV move
  • I'd say it was more like a +V move. Nothing 'expected' about it.... :tongue:
  • all_aces wrote:
    I'd say it was more like a +V move. Nothing 'expected' about it.... :tongue:

In some sense there was some probability/expectation invoved in the earlybird registration decision. There was some chance that the earlydbird deadling and/or price level would turn out to be not enforced when the time comes around. There is also some risk that the registration price may even be lowered in the future.

In fact, IIRC, the post-earlybird registration price has now changed to $179 (from $189), which would make an earlybird registration decision slightly less profitable than it originally appeared. (Since the effective cost of the non-registration freedom is now $20 when it originally appeared to be $30.)

Furthermore, the Summit website seems to be infrequently updated, and still lists the earlybird registration fee even though the earlybird deadline has theoretically passed. You still might even be able to sneak in as a late earlybird. ;)

And, as the saying goes, the earlybird catches an extra $20 with which he/she can buy Gummi Worms.

As for "+V", I love it.*

Playing a single hand against a flaming fish: +EV
    Playing loads of hands against a flaming fish: +V

ScottyZ

*Does that count as more "man flirting"? Sorry.
  • I don't understand why people continue to run events downtown Toronto. don't get me wrong, I love the city, but geez, it is impossible to get there. No parking, and if you find parking it costs a ton of money, etc, etc, etc.....

Why not run events more central ( Around the Airport or something). I would think that is would attrack more people if they new it was easier to get to.

Actually I wouldn't call the airport central...anyway at that time on a Saturday morning you should be able to find parking pretty easily, say in the lot just south of the ACC. On a Saturday they'll probably have a relatively cheap all-day rate.
  • The earky bird deadline has been bumped again. You now have until March 1 to pay the $159.
    Kinda lame. It makes me lose a little faith in the whole thing.

http://www.canadianpokersummit.com/reg.html
  • Yeah I agree with you esool.

Funny thing is, on the commercial on CFNY a couple weeks back, they kept saying it was almost sold out. Well if that's the case, why do they keep pushing the early bird deadline back?

Maybe they can explain their reasoning here?
  • I am really excited about the summit.

For those who have never done something like this, it really is a fujn way to spend a day. Surrounded by people who are as pumped about poker as you are. I can honestly say that I haven't looked forward to something poker related as much as I have these summits in a long time.

Will you learn something? I know that I will. Will you learn A LOT? That depends upon where you are in your poker journey. All I can tell you is that I treat almost everything as a thought starter. And, these four days will start a lot of thoughts for me.
  • I received an email from the c.a.p.s. telling me that because they are almost "sold out" all previous registrants can sign up "friends" for only $99... :frown:

Ughhh....I'm perhaps not very good at "big business" but isn't this the opposite of how supply and demand is supposed to work. :redface:

So this means that my friends would get a sweet deal while I paid retail... :frown:

Does anyone fall for this type of line?
  • i was kind of surprised by that too
    if they are almost sold out, why bother offereing incentives to get people to sign up? and how does that reward me for signing up as an early bird?

anyway, i suppose if u were a cheap ass, u could recruit a buddy, then divide the total by 2...u'd save about $20...i don't care enough...and i don't have a buddy...but just a thought