(Home)Tourney question

What should be the rule when a player does not have enough chips to meet the big blind or even small blind for that matter?
At my regular home tourney we were down to 4 players, the dealer folded pre flop with less then small blind for chips. I (BB) raised the only caller(SB) and then folded to his all in raise since I only had Q,10o and only the top3 get paid out. It would suck to get knocked out and let "low chip guy" take 3rd.

Comments

• esool wrote:
    What should be the rule when a player does not have enough chips to meet the big blind or even small blind for that matter?

The blind who doesn't have enough chips for the blind simply posts all of his chips and is immediately considered all-in. All of the typical all-in rules apply.

The main difference when a player is all-in in the big blind position is that the "theoretical" big blind amount is still considered to be the initial active pre-flop bet.

For example, say the blinds are 200-400, big blind only has 100 in chips. Small blind posts 200, big blind posts 100. The action on the UTG player is "400 to call", even though the 400 chips aren't actually out there in the big blind. The UTG may fold, call 400, or raise to a minimum of 800 (or to exactly 800 in a limit tournament).

Let's say that the UTG calls 400, and there is one other middle position caller. Everyone else including the small blind folds. (The big blind is all-in and should not fold.)

The main pot has 400 chips, which the big blind is eligible to win. (His own 100, 100 from the small blind, and 100 from each of the two callers) There is 700 in the side-pot which the two active players can still bet into and play for.

ScottyZ
  • That is how we have been doing it. Thanks for clarifying S-Z.. :)

Our game 2 weeks ago had 3-4 players in this postition make a come back....But to no avail. :)
  • also it is good to use blinds structure for home games.. so there isn't any complaining about when the blinds move up.. i know in my home games my friends complain all the time when we have to move up the blinds ..usually these complaints are coming from the short stacks.. but if u use blind structure it will improve ur game play and reduce the time of argueing over when to rasie the blinds ..just a suggestion that u can use in ur house games
  • Agreed. We increase the blinds a pre-set amount every 30 mintues..