Sit & go Question

Comments

• I think it depends mostly on how many other people you expect to call the raise. If you think all the EP players will call it may be worth two hundred.

I throw away almost all small pp in lp unless I have a read or can push and hope to win before the flop.
  • I also find that sometimes a table seems to settle on a "standard raise". This is sometimes 3xBB, sometimes more. It's all a feel thing. Has this player raised a lot in the past? etc. However with a small pp you don't want too much company. So either toss it or re-raise to make sure you get your isolation.

All-in works, but I would probably fold mid-early in a SnG. If you raise at least you might get credit for high cards if high cards flop. If you just call, when AJT comes down, you fold like a weekling and take the loss running away with your tail between your legs.
  • As a rule of thumb, don't call a raise unless you are confident you'll get at least 8x your money back if you hit. And I'd be looking for at 10-15x myself with other variables factored in. Depending on who raised and who is yet to act, you could also re-raise here.
  • FOLD, or reraise/push. calling is disgusting here, unless the blinds were a lot smaller you just arent getting implied odds to hit your set, combined with the fact that your opponent might not pay you off if u do hit your set. seeing as your M=10, you're not quite in panic mode and so a fold is fine. A big reraise/push is probably +EV (any objections?).. just raise a very healthy ammount, you dont want him to just call. you're eiter stealing the pot or hoping you're all-in and it's a coin flip. Overall I'd say fold, unless this guy has been really loose pf.
  • I agree with pkrface, pocket pairs are +EV if you can get more money than 8x what you invest pre-flop. If the blinds are 50/100 and you only have 1500, you're either pushing or folding, and I don't like pushing with anything less than say 1010 in this stage. With an M of 10, low-mid pocket pairs are bastards.

Mark
  • I'm not looking to push here at all.  With a small PP you are coin flip at best so why do you want to risk your tourney on this hand unless you have strong read (weak) on the players yet to act.

My rule of thumb is this...call with small PP if it is going to cost you less than 10% of your stack.  Otherwise stay away in this situation.

I would push in this situation if I am in late position and my M is less that 7.

Good Question.

Good Luck
  • Yeah, careful with low PP i would call small raise with only 2 or 3max players in the pot but i would not investe big money.. i prefer to wait for a better hand to place my money in!

:h: Cindy
  • xxcindyxx wrote:
    Yeah, careful with low PP i would call small raise with only 2 or 3max players in the pot but i would not investe big money.. i prefer to wait for a better hand to place my money in!

:h: Cindy

Personally I want to play my small PP in multiway pots. The more the merrier!! I want lots of people in the pot so that someone will catch a piece of the flop and pay me off.

If I hit a set and someone catches two pair I am probably going to double through.
    If I am playing a donkey who will risk his whole stack on top pair I will double through.
    If I hit my set and someone hits a higher set then thats poker!! This will happen so little that it does not warrant consideration unless a situational tell tips you off.

If I miss the flop I may still be the best and I can take the pot down with a C-bet.
    If I miss the flop and someone raises me I can get away with less that 10% damage to my stack.

You also need to be involved in this pot with a stack that can pay you off if you hit!!

eg. If it costs you $100 to call and odds on you hitting your set is 8.3-1 than don't call unless your villian has more than $830 in his stack. The implied odds are just not worth it!

Cheers!

Caddy
  • The simple answer to the example you gave is that you shouldn't call any of those bets. You should fold.

Nobody in the thread has mentioned that you need to play tighter in SNGs than in MTTs because of the payout structure. Small PPs are almost always a fold in MTTs in this situation (against any sort of raise w/ 15x BB) so they're certainly a fold here except in very special circumstances.

Ryan