How does this guy call?

Here is the hand history:

PokerStars Game #6387598061: Hold'em No Limit ($1/$2) - 2006/09/23 - 04:56:06 (ET)
Table 'Roswitha' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: hlam ($225.60 in chips)
Seat 2: up2something ($312 in chips)
Seat 3: Viking84 ($148.70 in chips)
Seat 4: DanTheMan56 ($157 in chips)
Seat 5: pockettens00 ($87.35 in chips)
Seat 6: SteamRice ($186.15 in chips)
Seat 7: z_balata ($252.15 in chips)
Seat 8: Timer76 ($185.35 in chips)
Seat 9: Cpokerbear ($84.25 in chips)
Timer76: posts small blind $1
Cpokerbear: posts big blind $2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Cpokerbear [7s 9c]
hlam: folds
up2something: folds
Viking84: folds
DanTheMan56: calls $2
pockettens00: calls $2
SteamRice: folds
z_balata: folds
Timer76: calls $1
Cpokerbear: checks
*** FLOP *** [4s 9d 7c]
Timer76: bets $5
Cpokerbear: raises $11 to $16
DanTheMan56: folds
pockettens00: folds
Timer76: calls $11
*** TURN *** [4s 9d 7c] [3d]
Timer76: checks
Cpokerbear: bets $66.25 and is all-in
Timer76: calls $66.25
*** RIVER *** [4s 9d 7c 3d] [6d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Timer76: shows [4d Kd] (a flush, King high)
Cpokerbear: shows [7s 9c] (two pair, Nines and Sevens)
Timer76 collected $169.50 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $172.50 | Rake $3
Board [4s 9d 7c 3d 6d]
Seat 1: hlam folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: up2something folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Viking84 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: DanTheMan56 folded on the Flop
Seat 5: pockettens00 folded on the Flop
Seat 6: SteamRice folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: z_balata (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Timer76 (small blind) showed [4d Kd] and won ($169.50) with a flush, King high
Seat 9: Cpokerbear (big blind) showed [7s 9c] and lost with two pair, Nines and Sevens

I would seriously like to know anyones opinion on this hand for those that care to leave one. Did I over play my hand? What could have I done differently? I am still steaming that he called.

Comments

• Did you want him to:

A. not call, or
    B. call but not hit his flush.

If you didn't want him to call, why not? Did you think you were beat? If you loved your hand and wanted him to call, perfect! He did just that. Would you have liked it better if he called you with 6-5?
  • I was very cofindent on the turn card that I was holding the best hand. Of course I wanted a call at that point but when the river fell and saw the hand he called with, I could not believe my eyes. He called a $66.50 bet into a $40.00 pot on a draw, then got there. I mean does he really think is bottom pair is good on the flop when there is a raiser to $16. I think I made the right play but when the pot is pushed to him it certainly doesnt feel like it.
  • lol why woukld you push all in for more than the pot if you were confident you had the best hand, isn't that bit of an overbet? The guy's a donk, he made a bad call and got lucky, i'd seen much worse calls than that.
  • disciple wrote:
    ...Of course I wanted a call at that point...

So, what is the issue? You got all your money in with the best of it...that is the best situation you can ask for in poker (other than your opponent drawing dead!).
  • I'm just gonna go ahead and lable this a bad beat story.
  • This is the exact person I am looking to call with a hand like thiis. I'm not perfect on the math but I am confident that if you played this exact scenario one hundred times you would come out ahead.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • Odds were 70.45% for him to win.
  • add him to your buddy list and play him lots. Now get over it. I'm going through such a bad run right now your 100 buck loss would be like a win to me right now.
  • tough hand to lose those. he appears to be a shitty player who convinced himself that either you were bluffing with high cards or he had sufficient outs to justify the call.

play a few games with the westside boys and you'll come to realize hands like 75 and 54 OOP are potential monsters.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:

play a few games with the westside boys and you'll come to realize hands like 75 and 54 OOP are potential monsters.

For me unlike the others only if they are suited will I play them OOP. Otherwise i FOLD.......
  • POINT OF VIEW FROM A FORMER DONK:

You raised the flop to $16, this indicates you are on a straight draw...which means you have no pair.  Turn card gives him more outs bottom pair with flush draw, when you went all in, he figured you missed your OESD and now that you over bet the pot your looking to win it with a bluff. He put u on a AK or KQ or even 8T some over cards, he instantly calls you with his bottom pair.

CASE CLOSED...I would have done the same.
  • djalikool wrote:
    POINT OF VIEW FROM A FORMER DONK:.....I would have done the same.

FORMER?
  • I don't play cards n e more remember!! ..hence the word "FORMER" ...and yeah, i'd make that call too!...i'm not ashammed of it, I said it, i'd play it that way too!
  • I thought you play if someone gives you the bankroll to play...like the free $25 from Absolute Poker?
  • I won't play with my own $$, u r correct. So, I guess i'm a semi former donk!
    :)
  • you lost as a 2.5-1 OVERDOG!!! that's the worst beat ever! you should tell everyone you know about it.