when everyone's a policeman...

Suppose you're playing pretty conservative and eventually run into a rush of cards. You start raising and people get out of your way. You keep raising and win a couple huge pots. You keep at it and the rush dies off, but you can still bully the table for a while longer. Eventually someone will put on the sheriff's badge and reraise you a bundle -- maybe it's time to back down a step. You want to get back into the pots but every time you throw in a raise someone comes over the top. How do you know your top pair A kicker isn't already beat by bottom two? You throw it away.

So this is my question -- how to get back into the pots under this circumstance? I expect it depends on whether it is limit or NL and whether it is cash or tourney, and in the latter case also the stack:blinds ratio.

In a recent NL cash game I found myself in this spot with AK and an A on the flop. When I was reraised to 2/3 my stack I went all in and got very lucky to draw out against flopped bottom two. In other words, I played it horribly by misreading the motivation of my opponent.

Do you just have to be patient and wait for a monster? :?

Comments

• I think you need to take your table image into consideration aswell as your opponent.

Has your raise made it worth it for them to draw for a small set?
    Do they even know if it has or hasn't?
    Are they the kind of person who will make a move on you?

I think you need to remember that when you make a raise pre-flop I at least (and im sure most) are expecting a hand like AK. If you get raised on the flop when an A comes, you are most of the time facing a hand that is better. A lot of people in that game play a strange variety of cards so don't assume just because there has been a raise that you have taken hands like J2 off suit out of the mix (again considering your opponent)

Its a big problem with most people including myself. Raise the pot pre-flop then hit your card and have to fold is not easy.

Most important when you raise AK then dont hit either and I push all-in, folding might want to cross your mind! :lol: What a suck out on 22! :cry:

Nice hand

Hey Neil, thats 2 posts in one day how bout a free script already? :?:
  • To be politically correct, it's police person :)

policeman.jpg

How much did you raise preflop in your case with AK? Do you remember what the flop was?
  • Yeah, two weeks in a row I overplayed AK and got very lucky to draw out both times. To cross-reference another thread, AK is definitely NOT a made hand. Except heads-up (or maybe up to 4-way).

When I raise to $10 preflop I can see you calling
    with 22 hoping to spike a set. When the flop comes
    Q64 (I think it was) and I bet $20 at it, I am impressed that you (I think it was you!) were able
    to raise me all-in with that 22. I must be so freaking predictable that I only ever bet $10 with AK, is that it? :) Sheesh....

But the question I really want to ask is -- if it
    seems like your opponents are taking turns reraising you to shut you down, and you think they don't always have the hand, what is the best way to get them to back off? Of course, you can wait for a monster but the wait could be long. Or you can try
    to get a read in each hand. I suppose that for the last two weeks my reads have been very poor, but my luck has been very good. :)