Bristol Street Classic VIII - Announced!

For those not in the know, the "Classic" series of events is a $10 Buy-In No-Limit Hold'em event at my place with one $10 buy in if you fall to 20% of the intial buy in. (i.e 200 of a starting 1,000 chips)

Classic VIII will take place on Wednesday, August 4th, starting at at 7pm. If you're interested, please send me a PM with your email address and I'll add you to the fan out list.

the blind schedule will be similar to the one used at the $50 event, with one or two levels removed/redadjusted to limit the time to about 4 hours. Seating is limited to 21 players, so please RSVP if interested!

Comments

• So if you fall to 20% you can re-buy for another $10 for TC1000? August 4th, man the 3rd would be so much better. Maybe next time.
  • Correct. Without knowing how re-buys worked, our first tournament was a rebuy if you busted out, but most people felt that those that were close to busting before the first hour would dump chips to someone in order to get their stack back up.

A rebuy whenever you're at or less than your starting chipstack was also unfavorable by the group because people who only could spend $10 felt at a major disadvantage from those that would immediately re-buy.

The 20% level became an acceptable middle ground and I know that some people want to keep it because it guarantees a fixed about of time that you could play.

Whether it's good or not, I'm unsure (as I also get reports of someone busting someone in the first hour only to be busted back by them later)

If anyone has alternate suggestions I'd be happy to hear it!

Rob.
  • The only reasonable way to avoid people intentionally losing chips in a re-buy tournament is to:

1. Allow re-buys when at the initial stack level or less.

2. Have an add-on available to everyone regardless of chip stack size at the end of the re-buy period which offers tournament chips at a price equal to (or better than) the re-buy tournament chips.
    ...people who only could spend $10 felt at a major disadvantage from those that would immediately re-buy.

Other than playing a $10 freezeout tournament (or possibly something like a $2 or $3 re-buy tournament) it will be impossible to satisfy these people with any form of $10 re-buy tournament.

If they think they are *not* put at a major disadvantage by restricting themselves to spending a maximum of $10 with the proposed (or any form of) re-buy tournament, you have merely fooled them, not removed their disadvantage. You may, of course, be perfectly happy with this outcome. ;)

ScottyZ
  • One of my friends made an interesting suggestion...

Keep the requirement of busting out for the re-buys. For $10 you get the original amount of chips back but only $5 of that goes into the pot, the rest (or all?) goes to the person that busted you.
  • Zithal wrote:
    One of my friends made an interesting suggestion...

Keep the requirement of busting out for the re-buys. For $10 you get the original amount of chips back but only $5 of that goes into the pot, the rest (or all?) goes to the person that busted you.

This is much worse.

You still have the same "intentionally losing chips" problem as before, but the new idea encourages true chip dumping; that is, trying to lose chips to a specific player. If two players know each other (or simply have an agreement) and one of them gets low in chips and wants a re-buy, he/she would attempt to lose their remaining chips to his/her buddy. That way, the busted player gets the re-buy he/she wanted anyway, and the buddy immediately gets $5.

Not only is everybody else in the tournament (generally) put at a disadvantage by the new chips entering the tournament (since the average chip count goes up), but they also lose out on the $5 that should have gone into the prize pool. Of course, the former always happens in re-buy tournaments, but the idea is that the players are compensated by the extra re-buy money going into the prize pool. Redirecting any re-buy (or add-on) money *away* from the prize pool doesn't make much sense.

ScottyZ