Interesting hand

OK....I qualifed and played in Party's Super Thursday last night and have an interesting hand.

Anyways...1020 entrants.....made it through second break.  290 players left....150 get paid so were still aways from the money.  Blinds are 300/600 Average stack is about 15,800.

Player 1 (21,000) raises UTG to 1800
Player 2 (16,000) UTG  +2 calls
Player 3 (6,000) Re-raises from the Cutoff all in for his 6K.

Player 1 thinks and calls.
Player 2 shoves all in
Player 1 folds.

Player 3 shows QQ.....Player 2 shows AK

Flop QQx and Player 3 triples up.

Player 1 folds JJ

Please give comments on each players play.

Comments

• What did player 3 have left? (how much was the all-in?)

Mark
  • tried to clear up original post. player 3 started hand with 6K and pushed all in preflop.
  • Okay that helps...

With the blinds at 300/600, and player 3's stack at 6k, that means his M value is only about 6.6 - not quite the danger zone, but much lower than I'm comfortable being, I like the push.

Player one just calls with JJ... hmm... he may have been hoping for a call from player 2 to just check it down and get rid of the short stack.

Player 2 re-raises with AK... I don't hate the play, but I don't love it either. With an all in in front, and a caller already, I may have even folded here with AK, since I would likely think one of them is on a pocket pair, and the other has Ax - negating one of my outs. In this case me read would be wrong.

Great fold by player 1, he's WAY behind, and only a coin flip for the other fella. He has 15k left back, no need to push it in at this point.

Was the reason for this being an "interesting hand" because of the quads?

Mark
  • I'm sorry if it was not "interesting enough". :D I thought it played out a little weird. I thought the just call by player 1 and then fold was weird.

I was player 2 and I guess your assessment of my push (don't love or hate it) is fair. I'm not sure. I almost thought of folding AK in this hand pre-flop with the raise coming from UTG.

Anyways....I hate the fold from player 1. Player 3 has shown big strength with a re-raise after a raise and a call. If you are willing to call him, then why fold to my re-raise. As it turns out...he would have been ahead of me and won a nice side pot.

I think I should have just called and taken my chance at hitting the flop. More than likely Player 1 would check the flop and if he bets I can just fold. In the end, I was losing the same amount of chips either way. Yuck, just won of those pivotal hands near the midway point of a big tourney.
  • Otto_Troy wrote:
    I think I should have just called and taken my chance at hitting the flop.  More than likely Player 1 would check the flop and if he bets I can just fold.  In the end, I was losing the same amount of chips either way.  Yuck, just won of those pivotal hands near the midway point of a big tourney.

One of those pivotal hands that I think Player 1's fold was excellent... sure he would have won your chips, but if I raise, there's a call, a re-raise, and then when I flat call a re-re-raise, I'm pretty sure that I'm beat as well. Mathematically it may be wrong, I"m not sure, but saying that "he would have won a pot from me" is pretty results-oriented.

Mark
  • I guess I just don't like that he invested 6K into the hand and got nothing out of it. I think he should have either folded to Player 3's re-raise or committed to the hand. My call of his raise pre-flop did not show strenght and my re-re-reaise was based more on his showing of weakness by flat calling. Oh well....see how interesting this hand was ;-)
  • Otto_Troy wrote:
    Player 1 (21,000) raises UTG to 1800
    Player 2 (16,000) UTG +2 calls
    Player 3 (6,000) Re-raises from the Cutoff all in for his 6K.
    Like it so far.
    Otto_Troy wrote:
    Player 1 thinks and calls.
    Stupid. With a player to act behind you, you either push or fold. With JJ, I probably would have folded unless I had a great read on the other players. However, the flat-call screams weakness to me, so I've opened the door for player 2 to push me off with a big A or even a partial bluff with a small pair (to go HU against a big A with the dead money already in).
    Otto_Troy wrote:
    Player 2 shoves all in
    Hmm, exactly why player 1 shouldn't have flat-called. I like the push, since player 1 has shown weakness, so you're probably against a pair or a dominated A. If he calls we'll show a small profit on the sidepot, and if he folds, we're HU with dead money.
    Otto_Troy wrote:
    Player 1 folds.
    Good fold, but should have done it earlier and saved the 6k.
  • Otto_Troy wrote:
    My call of his raise pre-flop did not show strenght and my re-re-reaise was based more on his showing of weakness by flat calling. 
    Nice read, but even better that you committed all your chips to the read (right or wrong). Nice hand sir!
  • Yeah player 1 should push over the all-in to isolate, no reason to give the cold caller credit for much there or the short stack reraiser necessarily. Also, folding for 10K more sucks because the smooth call then push is AK a lot of the time and he's getting pretty big pot odds (not knowing player 3 has him dominated for the main pot). I think player 2 with AK played it well though.
  • I think player 3 played it best. Flopping quads is tough.

/g2