2000 Jetta vs 2002 Mazda Protege

Well I'm looking at buying a new car and have these two options that I am thinking about. Just interested in what people think or stories about these cars if you have had experience with them??

Thanks
Mike

Comments

• When you say "new" I guess you mean new to "you" and not "brand new"

At first glance I'd say take the Mazda. It's newer with less KMs and I believe Mazdas' generally hold up better as they age. Unlike VWs, which will fall apart after a few good years of service.
  • JohnnieH wrote:
    At first glance I'd say take the Mazda. It's newer with less KMs and I believe Mazdas' generally hold up better as they age. Unlike VWs, which will fall apart after a few good years of service.

But keep in mind that parts for Mazda are usually more expensive.

Maybe put in the price for the two cars also, it might help with the decision making process.
  • No contest.

JETTA!! Much much better car all around. Mileage is not even an issue.
  • The mazda will outlast the Jetta, assuming they are both is decent condition.
  • Both are the exact same price.

Mike

Keep the comments coming, right now it looks like a coin flip, and yes it is new to me.
  • lol....so it's :

:ah :kh vs :qd :qc??
  • 1999 and 2000 Jetta's are crap. (I got one that's a lemon) Don't waste your time on that amount of KM's.
    The Mazda will last for well over 300,000 easy.
  • MAZDA

I agree with the previous statement.

I own a 2001 VW PASSAT - worst mistake ever.

This was a bad transistion time for VW - on board computer would be much nicer if it wasnt always flashing.

ALSO, is the Jetta a diesel or gas? If gas, it will require supreme, keep this in mind. I found out the hard way when I put 87 in my car when gas prices hit $1.25 (making 91 about $1.50), I was merging onto the highway when my Turbo failed because I the octane in the gas was too low.

From a VW owner - do not BUY.

Further to this, the car salesman assured me that the PASSATs were better than the JETTAs because of where they were assembled.

Jettas are being made in Mexico; whereas as in 2001 PASSATs were still being manufactured in Germany.

Ask anyone who has been in my car, as a number of Forum members have, it is comical to watch in great big letters - STOP - BRAKE FAULT. Really inspires confidence in your passengers!